Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It will be curious what they do with him next year. Do they send him back to junior, which he will be an overager. Or do they go the RHP-Simoneau-Davidson route? Where they sign him to an AHL deal and evaluate him as a pro for one season before he's due for an ELC.

Honestly, I'm curious what it would look like with Xhekaj and Tuch on the same line. I feel like they'd be a pain to play against. Two big bodies that play with physicality and at least at their current respective level, have offence in their game.

Brantford lists Xhekaj at 6'4" and 190 lbs.
BU lists Tuch at 6'2" and 215 lbs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It will be curious what they do with him next year. Do they send him back to junior, which he will be an overager. Or do they go the RHP-Simoneau-Davidson route? Where they sign him to an AHL deal and evaluate him as a pro for one season before he's due for an ELC.

Honestly, I'm curious what it would look like with Xhekaj and Tuch on the same line. I feel like they'd be a pain to play against. Two big bodies that play with physicality and at least at their current respective level, have offence in their game.

Brantford lists Xhekaj at 6'4" and 190 lbs.
BU lists Tuch at 6'2" and 215 lbs.
Tuch is ready to play pro, but Florian is a twig still. Hes strong for sure but Im not sure hes ready for the next level. Anyway, with the abundance of youngsters in the AHL next year, we can afford to wait another year before bringing him in. Theres only so much ice both in game and practice.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Tuch is ready to play pro, but Florian is a twig still. Hes strong for sure but Im not sure hes ready for the next level. Anyway, with the abundance of youngsters in the AHL next year, we can afford to wait another year before bringing him in. Theres only so much ice both in game and practice.
I'd like to see both Beck and Xhekaj in the AHL so we can compare the two of them and see what we have. We all know Dvorak should be moved ASAP and Evans is now but a stop gap, so we should be looking for guys to replace them with. If Beck and Xhekaj are that, then lets start looking to them.

Suzuki - Dach - Beck - Xhekaj looks pretty good.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd like to see both Beck and Xhekaj in the AHL so we can compare the two of them and see what we have. We all know Dvorak should be moved ASAP and Evans is now but a stop gap, so we should be looking for guys to replace them with. If Beck and Xhekaj are that, then lets start looking to them.

Suzuki - Dach - Beck - Xhekaj looks pretty good.
There's no reason why we should rush this though. We won't know "faster" if Xhekaj is rushed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Would it be rushing him though? He isn't being challenged currently. Less so next year.
He isn't being challenged but he can't even produce ppg ? We have 15 years old putting up thrice his production. Lets be real, he's not dominating. Even McCarron had 1.3 ppg at the same age while being an absolute force defensively.

If he doesn't find ways to be "challenged" then he's not a good prospect and won't get better in the AHL. Joshua Roy is another good example of a player that learned a lot from his extended time in juniors.

He's also a player that gained 2 inches in a span of 12-15 months, filling up his frame is gonna take a moment. Doing this without getting battered in the AHL is gonna be a lot easier.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
He isn't being challenged but he can't even produce ppg ? We have 15 years old putting up thrice his production. Lets be real, he's not dominating. Even McCarron had 1.3 ppg at the same age while being an absolute force defensively.

If he doesn't find ways to be "challenged" then he's not a good prospect and won't get better in the AHL. Joshua Roy is another good example of a player that learned a lot from his extended time in juniors.

He's also a player that gained 2 inches in a span of 12-15 months, filling up his frame is gonna take a moment. Doing this without getting battered in the AHL is gonna be a lot easier.
49 points in 52 games after changing position... come on now! He's also a 4th round pick that most here thought was drafted way too soon. Lets see if he's PPG by seasons end, which I think he will be.

Michael McCarron was a 1st round pick! His best OHL season was 41 points in 25 games. 22 goals. So yeah, better numbers PPG wise, but Xhekaj already has more points and goals. First round picks are always supposed to outshine 4th round (or higher) picks.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
49 points in 52 games after changing position... come on now! He's also a 4th round pick that most here thought was drafted way too soon. Lets see if he's PPG by seasons end, which I think he will be.

Michael McCarron was a 1st round pick! His best OHL season was 41 points in 25 games. 22 goals. So yeah, better numbers PPG wise, but Xhekaj already has more points and goals. First round picks are always supposed to outshine 4th round (or higher) picks.
you're forgetting the whole other half of the season after he was traded

Reactions: mdk

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

No disrespect intended, but your logic is flawed. It doesn't matter where they were picked, it matters where they are in their development. McCarron was ahead of Xhekaj, which is why he was "ready" to make the jump, Xhekaj is not. You claimed he wasn't being challenged, I said he was being challenged. He's currently 70th in PPG, if thats not "being challenged" does it mean there's 69 (nice) other boys that should make the jump next year ?

Reactions: Sagikev and Habs13

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
No disrespect intended, but your logic is flawed. It doesn't matter where they were picked, it matters where they are in their development. McCarron was ahead of Xhekaj, which is why he was "ready" to make the jump, Xhekaj is not. You claimed he wasn't being challenged, I said he was being challenged. He's currently 70th in PPG, if thats not "being challenged" does it mean there's 69 (nice) other boys that should make the jump next year ?
All good.

I still think he would benefit from the challenges of the AHL over the OHL - but I'm not a hockey professional either. Ultimately, if he gets sent back to the OHL - I'm happy with that too. There's always going to be two minds on this subject, with any player. Should Slafkovsky be in the NHL? AHL? Should Arber be in the NHL? AHL?

That's what the boards for though, right? Exchanging opinions and thoughts! ;)

Reactions: Mrb1p

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think it will depend on the rest of his season and the play-offs.. but I could see him starting in the ECHL next year and getting a mid year call up to the AHL, as well.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012

McCarron’s D+1 draft year was trash and the season you’re referring to he played with Marner, Dvorak and Domi, to name a few…

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Hes not even PPG right now. Its gonna give him time to limit test offensively, develop new skills and apply them while being the pest/two way force that he is. Id rather they dont pull a mysak again.
My main concern with going back to juniors is that because of his size he'll be able to get away doing things that won't work in the pros where everyone is bigger/stronger. So the risk is that he develops the wrong habits by pushing around teenagers and so doesn't actually develop the skills he needs to be working on.

I'd also point out that developing new skills isn't really something that is done with ice time in game, it's done at practice where you can get the reps in. So if the goal is skill development, which I think it probably should be, then the AHL is arguably better since it will involve more time spent with guys like Nicholas actually working in developing skills.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
My main concern with going back to juniors is that because of his size he'll be able to get away doing things that won't work in the pros where everyone is bigger/stronger. So the risk is that he develops the wrong habits by pushing around teenagers and so doesn't actually develop the skills he needs to be working on.

I'd also point out that developing new skills isn't really something that is done with ice time in game, it's done at practice where you can get the reps in. So if the goal is skill development, which I think it probably should be, then the AHL is arguably better since it will involve more time spent with guys like Nicholas actually working in developing skills.
Worked out for his brother Arber therefore I’m not too concerned with Florian playing another year in Juniors!!

My main thing is I want him to develop in a winning environment, I want him to lead his team or another to a championship

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He needs to build up some in the off season
Shouldn't be that much of a prob

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Would it be rushing him though? He isn't being challenged currently. Less so next year.
The players will dictate what happens. These are two guys who can force some hands and as a Hab fan you hope that is exactly what they do.
We won't know what is best for the player and the team until we do. What we should do is trust the process it isn't failing us like in the past.

Reactions: Habs13

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The players will dictate what happens. These are two guys who can force some hands and as a Hab fan you hope that is exactly what they do.
We won't know what is best for the player and the team until we do. What we should do is trust the process it isn't failing us like in the past.
Yeah I'm good with that... and truth told, I'm probably just really eager to see him in the AHL. Maybe too much so.

Reactions: jaffy27

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

You can't just use point totals as an exclusive arbiter to define relative value between two hockey prospects. If Florian Xhekaj was in front of the net with Marner, Domi and Dvorak on the London Knights power play like McCarron was he would have gawdy numbers as well. Do you think it is a coincidence that McCarron's scoring dropped off drastically to under a ppg with Oshawa after he was traded that same year. McCarron himself even admitted in an interview how much easier it was to put up points in London as the Hunters have always been all about outscoring their opponents.

Let's also avoid glossing over the fact that McCarron started with 2 years at an elite prep school (Honeybaked) and then was exposed to two full seasons with the USNDTP and was in his second season follwing those years with the London Knights. You are entirely ignoring developmental trajectory as Xhekaj has caught and imo surpassed McCarron just two seasons removed from playing Junior B hockey in the GOJHL. If Florian had the same exposure that McCarron had to top flight programs there would be no conversation to be had as he would easily eclipse McCarron's production. McCarron also was bigger and stronger than Xhekaj at the same age and had been bigger and stronger than his peers for his entire hockey life whereas Florian has grown a ton over the last 5 years and is just getting used to playing with such advantages. McCarron has never scored 20 goals at any level other than tipping in and banging in rebounds on a stacked London Knights PP as a 6'6" 230lb pylon.

The evidence at hand strongly suggests that at the same age McCarron was plateauing while Florian is ascending. Florian has scored more goals this season than McCarron has in any season ever (going back all the way to his 14 year old season at Honeybaked)

I'm sorry but using McCarron to invalidate Florian reeks of confirmation bias and bad faith argumentative tactics.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You can't just use point totals as the exclusive arbiter to define relative value between two hockey prospects. If Florian Xhekaj was in front of the net with Marner, Domi and Dvorak with the London Knights like McCarron was he would have gawdy numbers as well. Do you think it is a coincidence that McCarron's scoring dropped off drastically to under a ppg with Oshawa after he was traded that same year.

Let's also avoid glossing over the fact that McCarron had been exposed to two full seasons with the USNDTP and was in his second season follwing those years with the London Knights. You are entirely ignoring developmental trajectory as Xhekaj has caught and imo surpassed McCarron just two seasons removed from playing Junior B hockey in the GOJHL. If Florian had the same exposure that McCarron had to top flight programs there would be no conversation to be had as he would easily eclipse McCarron's production. McCarron also was bigger and stronger than Xhekaj at the same age and had been bigger and stronger than his peers for his entire hockey life whereas Florian has grown a ton over the last 5 years and is just getting used to playing with such advantages.

The evidence at hand strongly suggests that at the same age McCarron was plateauing while Florian is ascending.

I'm sorry but using McCarron to invalidate Florian reeks of confirmation bias and bad faith argumentative tactics.
Literally every thing you just type agrees with my point: keep him in the OHL.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
There's no reason why we should rush this though. We won't know "faster" if Xhekaj is rushed.
This is on point.

The gap in talent and the level of competition between the OHL and the NHL is as wide as the Grand Canyon. Florian doesn’t look quick against OHL competition. Playing against AHL players (let alone NHL players) he may well flounder.

Let’s see how he looks at next fall’s training camp. If his remarkable rate of development continues he may well be ready for the AHL. As I noted earlier: could he really be less effective than Kidney was this year?

And if he plateaus, another year in the OHL, while disappointing , will be an necessary developmental step.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is on point.

The gap in talent and the level of competition between the OHL and the NHL is as wide as the Grand Canyon. Florian doesn’t look quick against OHL competition. Playing against AHL players (let alone NHL players) he may well flounder.

Let’s see how he looks at next fall’s training camp. If his remarkable rate of development continues he may well be ready for the AHL. As I noted earlier: could he really be less effective than Kidney was this year?

And if he plateaus, another year in the OHL, while disappointing , will be an necessary developmental step.

How is he eligible for the AHL next year? I thought D+2 draft year players either had to be in the NHL or OHL, unless their birthday was before a certain cutoff that's different from the draft cutoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad