Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Getting a 4th liner who can actually fight/intimidate and chip in offensively.. I'm fine with that.

Pezzetta is just a middle-weight so he isn't a deterrent at all.

I think there is room regardless of whether a player is midweight or heavyweight.

However, for a guy like pezz who doesn't bring much else to the table, he's got to crash and bang consistently, or else there really isn't room for him.

I find pezz goes through some stretches where he's buzzing all over the ice, and other stretches where he forgets the energy that got him to stick here in the first place. He's not good enough to be in this league if he isn't consistently playing on the edge.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
That’s the spirit. As I race towards 80 I still don’t think I’ve peaked yet.
1704506096136.gif

Yeah thought I saw you out there

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
That’s the spirit. As I race towards 80 I still don’t think I’ve peaked yet.
I will still be working and playing tennis at 80... as long as my right knee rehabs properly, on the latter front. I just sent in my first NIH STTR application for my startup at 60. It's actually very relevant to geriatrics. Smart Homes with embedded deep learning computer-vision system and embedded airbags in furniture and flooring (for geriatric fall injury mitigation). Trillion-dollar market!

One of the perks of being a prof is that IP is rather a gray area. I don't sign away to a company the ideas that I incubate.

View attachment 796919

Yeah thought I saw you out there
I will be like that gent in the green suit (though his style is more swing). Several years of salsa lessons Michel Audette's rhythmic side . Met wifey at a Tokyo salsa party.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
wtf, rumors saying the bulldogs might trade Xhekaj. They are in 1st place last time I looked, unless they think he won't be back as an overager next year (to which I would say that's a tougher call to make imo)

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
wtf, rumors saying the bulldogs might trade Xhekaj. They are in 1st place last time I looked, unless they think he won't be back as an overager next year (to which I would say that's a tougher call to make imo)

They traded one of their D (Jorian Donovan) to Saginaw for a bunch of picks so yeah it’s kinda odd. Maybe management isn’t fooled by their current record and doesn’t think they can win vs the top teams in the playoffs.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
They are playing in the weakest division though. On paper it's not a very good team.

JT3

May 27, 2013
As another poster above me said, they moved Donovan to Saginaw (who are going to be fun to watch, they are loaded after adding Beck, Donovan and Dionicio to the already good lineup), and now have picked up our own Daniil Sobolev, so not really sure what's going on in Brantford.

As for Florian, I'd send him back for an overage year. He's still figuring out what he can do, and I think the extra year to allow his offense to continue to blossom will do him good. It certainly didn't hurt Arber to go back, can't see how it would hurt Florian.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I think there is room regardless of whether a player is midweight or heavyweight.

However, for a guy like pezz who doesn't bring much else to the table, he's got to crash and bang consistently, or else there really isn't room for him.

I find pezz goes through some stretches where he's buzzing all over the ice, and other stretches where he forgets the energy that got him to stick here in the first place. He's not good enough to be in this league if he isn't consistently playing on the edge.
He hits like 8 times a game. That’s pretty good for a guy playing only 8 or 9 minutes. And he’s a pretty fast skater. For now, he’s fine. When we’re ready to compete, that 4th line needs a big upgrade.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Love his game.

I still think he should play another year in the O.

Born two weeks earlier or so he would be anyways.There's gonna be quite the logjam next year in Laval anyways. He'd be playing more meaningful minutes. his stats are hardly gaudy.

how good is the Bulldogs coaching staff? That's a consideration (for him & the habs) re. where he plays next year I would imagine.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
They are playing in the weakest division though. On paper it's not a very good team.
I watched the Brantford Bulldogs play the Niagara Ice Dogs last night and can say that the Bulldogs are strong team and once they get Lardis and Thomas back they will challenge any team in the OHL. They're a big team that plays heavy and fast.

Florian Xhekaj played a strong game, scoring one goal, had another called back because of a high stick and was an offensive threat all game long. This kid, who has greatly underrated hockey skills, made numerous smart passes that created multiple scoring chances for his team. Florian played on Brantford’s first power play unit and used his size, reach and offensive vision to key the Bulldogs' power play. He handles the puck well and once he gets going, has good straightforward speed. But like most young players: he has to get quicker. His ultimate success at the next level will largely depend on his being able to gain that extra, needed step. If he can accomplish that, he will join in his older brother on the Canadiens. It was interesting to listen to the excellent Ice Dogs' announcers who remarked on Florian's upside and their opinion that when he joins his older brother on the Canadiens, Montreal will no longer have a problem with their team's toughness. That being said, in the third period, Florian was hit hard with a clean open ice check entering the Ice Dogs' zone that would have killed most other players. Florian got back on his skates right away like nothing had happened. This kid is a dreadnaught.

Other comments: I thought Sobolev played a strong game showing more mobility and offensive flare to go along with his physical prowess. I don't know if he will ever make the NHL but he certainly will play professional hockey here (AHL) or back in Europe.

The best player on the ice by a large margin was Brantford’s Marek Vanacker. This kid was impressive, showing elite skating and a range of hockey skills. I see that he is projected to go in the middle of the second round at the upcoming NHL draft. If we secure additional first or second round draft choices this is a player that I would target. With his skills set, he has NHL written all over him. Like Easton Cowan last year ( who was similarly viewed as a second round draft choice. but was ultimately taken in the first round by the Leafs) I can't see Vanacker falling out of the first round in the upcoming draft. In my opinion, Vanacker is a better prospect than Cowan.

Finally, Ryan Roobroeck, who scored two goals for Niagara and who is projected to go high in the 2026 draft, showed why he is considered as an elite prospect. His combination of size, mobility, scoring touch and vision rightly allows him to be projected as a top six forward in the NHL.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Love his game.

I still think he should play another year in the O.

Born two weeks earlier or so he would be anyways.There's gonna be quite the logjam next year in Laval anyways. He'd be playing more meaningful minutes. his stats are hardly gaudy.
Florian is smack in the middle of his 20 yo year. He's born in June, not December.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
I watched the Brantford Bulldogs play the Niagara Ice Dogs last night and can say that the Bulldogs are strong team and once they get Lardis and Thomas back they will challenge any team in the OHL. They're a big team that plays heavy and fast.

Florian Xhekaj played a strong game, scoring one goal, had another called back because of a high stick and was an offensive threat all game long. This kid, who has greatly underrated hockey skills, made numerous smart passes that created multiple scoring chances for his team. Florian played on Brantford’s first power play unit and used his size, reach and offensive vision to key the Bulldogs' power play. He handles the puck well and once he gets going, has good straightforward speed. But like most young players: he has to get quicker. His ultimate success at the next level will largely depend on his being able to gain that extra, needed step. If he can accomplish that, he will join in his older brother on the Canadiens. It was interesting to listen to the excellent Ice Dogs' announcers who remarked on Florian's upside and their opinion that when he joins his older brother on the Canadiens, Montreal will no longer have a problem with their team's toughness. That being said, in the third period, Florian was hit hard with a clean open ice check entering the Ice Dogs' zone that would have killed most other players. Florian got back on his skates right away like nothing had happened. This kid is a dreadnaught.

Other comments: I thought Sobolev played a strong game showing more mobility and offensive flare to go along with his physical prowess. I don't know if he will ever make the NHL but he certainly will play professional hockey here (AHL) or back in Europe.

The best player on the ice by a large margin was Brantford’s Marek Vanacker. This kid was impressive, showing elite skating and a range of hockey skills. I see that he is projected to go in the middle of the second round at the upcoming NHL draft. If we secure additional first or second round draft choices this is a player that I would target. With his skills set, he has NHL written all over him. Like Easton Cowan last year ( who was similarly viewed as a second round draft choice. but was ultimately taken in the first round by the Leafs) I can't see Vanacker falling out of the first round in the upcoming draft. In my opinion, Vanacker is a better prospect than Cowan.

Finally, Ryan Roobroeck, who scored two goals for Niagara and who is projected to go high in the 2026 draft, showed why he is considered as an elite prospect. His combination of size, mobility, scoring touch and vision rightly allows him to be projected as a top six forward in the NHL.
I feel like we should pay you for this report😁 thanks for posting it, he's an intriguing prospect

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
one of the best in the OHL I would assume, have heard it said there has been NHL interest in Jay McKee.
I could definitely see Buffalo looking at him at some point very soon, he played there a long time, so there's familiarity there. I liked him a lot as a player incidentally, one of the better defense first Dmen of his day. Very rugged. Heck of a shot blocker too.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

I think that's 2 games in a row Xhekaj had a goal called back due to a high stick. The other night he deflected a Sobolev shot in and it was erroneously called a high stick.
Were you at the game? I had it on CHL TV but I had the Owen Sound and Saginaw games on too and I was paying more attention to the Saginaw game.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

It probably depends on how bruised he is. He gets hit a lot, both checking and fists, so there are probably days or weeks when he just doesn't have the same jump.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad