Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
It was the whole look at first..

Xhekaj looked like a nepotism pick since we have his brother, no real production in his draft year.. usually not a good thing. But I had no idea about the massive growth spurt.

Then they take an overage defenseman that no one really knew about, out of Russia.

Then they take another goalie, who is a back-up in the QMJHL.

And then they took another goalie out of the MHL.

It just looked at first that their list ran out and they were making some odd choices.. buoyed with some other overagers in Harris and Mittelstadt.

But they knew what they were doing the whole time.

F. Xhekaj kept his fighting and edgy game going while adding more offense to his game.
Konyushkov has been a top defenseman in the KHL.
Miller is one of the best goalies in the CHL on a terrible team and was so impressive in camp.
Volokhin has been lights out.

There was a method to the madness and again kinda shows why this scouting staff deserves some trust.

There was a very public mention that they expected Florian Xhekaj to continue to grow seeing as his brother did the same at the same age. I don’t know if they asked medical doctors for confirmation. They definitely did with Hutson.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Funny how a lot of people criticized the Florian pick, seeing it as a reach in the fourth round. I wonder where he would be picked in a re-draft. I say there's a team that would spend a 2nd on him. Players like him just don't go on trees.

I only saw him once last year but I did laugh at the scouts when they picked him as I thought he was terrible in the one game. But now I'm very interested as a 6'4 center that plays a power game and can throw big hits, drop the gloves, just one tough dude but he's got some skills. They could have something here, we'll need to see if he can develop into a center or not but so far it's a great surprise.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Funny how a lot of people criticized the Florian pick, seeing it as a reach in the fourth round. I wonder where he would be picked in a re-draft. I say there's a team that would spend a 2nd on him. Players like him just don't go on trees.
I'm not so sure. His size and skating is intriguing. I could see a 3rd round pick, but probably not a 2nd at this point in time. Future will tell, but at the moment, we are talking about an interesting prospect and not much more.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I only saw him once last year but I did laugh at the scouts when they picked him as I thought he was terrible in the one game. But now I'm very interested as a 6'4 center that plays a power game and can throw big hits, drop the gloves, just one tough dude but he's got some skills. They could have something here, we'll need to see if he can develop into a center or not but so far it's a great surprise.
He wasn't even that good early THIS season. He really did a 180 in November and he hasn't looked back since.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Xhekaj should join the AHL next year with Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, Beck, and Mesar.
Don’t forget Tuch and probably Guindon too. That’s a lot of bodies.

It’s another reason I like the overage year. He’s doing well but he’s not exactly dominating. He’s only a week or two off of having another year of junior eligibility anyways

Reactions: JT3 and DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It’s another reason I like the overage year. He’s doing well but he’s not exactly dominating. He’s only a week or two off of having another year of junior eligibility anyways

I'm skeptical that crushing more 5'9 17 year olds will do much for FX's development. I think he's doing really well this year and needs to face a greater challenge next year.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Xhekaj should join the AHL next year with Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, Beck, and Mesar.
And Tuch……watching AHL games always more Interesting when you have your actual prospects as opposed to 29yr old AHL journeyman.

And Tuch……watching AHL games always more Interesting when you have your actual prospects as opposed to 29yr old AHL journeyman.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I'm skeptical that crushing more 5'9 17 year olds will do much for FX's development. I think he's doing really well this year and needs to face a greater challenge next year.

That’s true too. But will he get meaningful minutes in Laval is what I’m worried about.
I’m just kind of spitballing they probably do bring him up. Would rather not see him buried out of sheer numbers game things

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Let’s not go overboard. He’s having a similar 19 year old season as Michael Pezzetta. It’s nothing special.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Let’s not go overboard. He’s having a similar 19 year old season as Michael Pezzetta. It’s nothing special.
I actually like the comparison. But Florian is bigger and plays C (and he is actually good on the faceoff), so this make him a more interesting prospect. I don't think he'll ever go near a scoring line in the pro, but as a bottom-6 physical C? Sure. Anytime.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

The production is nothing to write home about, even though Hamilton is typically an offense graveyard.

He will most likely end up a 4th liner, but one that we will love. He has more puck skills than Pezzetta and better IQ as well.

His puck protection and hands in tight are probably better than 80% our current roster.

He skates like Armia on a bad day though, he needs to improve on that.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I actually like the comparison. But Florian is bigger and plays C (and he is actually good on the faceoff), so this make him a more interesting prospect. I don't think he'll ever go near a scoring line in the pro, but as a bottom-6 physical C? Sure. Anytime.
Could be a Greg Campbell type of player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Getting a solid 4th liner and (hopefully) a better fighter is positive. Plus the added bonus that having him around likely helps keep Arber happy.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Is he that quick? I like the description.
He’s more fast than quick. There is a big difference. His straight forward speed is above average as is his shot. He’ll need a year or two in Laval and with any growth in his game, he will be joining his brother in Montreal. He presents excellent value having been taken in the fourth round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is he that quick? I like the description.

his problem is that he doesn't always move his feet but he plays a lot as he was the top line center, 1st PP and sometimes 2nd PK so I have wondered if he just try's to conserve energy as he's a big kid so moving up and down the ice as a center I'm sure takes it's toll. But he can look a bit sluggish at times but others he'll get on his horse and then look out.

To me he's one of the most interesting Hab prospects maybe with Volohkin where the upside might just be extremely high. Xhekaj is not a Pezzetta, who I actually liked in the OHL for his speed, energy and effort but not much else. What you are hoping is that you found someone that is a load to deal with, but in addition to being tough, strong, big, he has hands. I just wonder if he could be something like Milan Lucic.

He's still so raw since he was a rookie in the OHL last year and now he's playing a new position so it might take several years to get there but the what if with him and Volohkin just seem to me like they could be something special in time but that it's so early in their development that it's not far from just magic beans but will be very interesting to see how it ends up.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
The production is nothing to write home about, even though Hamilton is typically an offense graveyard.

He will most likely end up a 4th liner, but one that we will love. He has more puck skills than Pezzetta and better IQ as well.

His puck protection and hands in tight are probably better than 80% our current roster.

He skates like Armia on a bad day though, he needs to improve on that.
Nothing that he and Adam cannot tweak.

his problem is that he doesn't always move his feet but he plays a lot as he was the top line center, 1st PP and sometimes 2nd PK so I have wondered if he just try's to conserve energy as he's a big kid so moving up and down the ice as a center I'm sure takes it's toll. But he can look a bit sluggish at times but others he'll get on his horse and then look out.

To me he's one of the most interesting Hab prospects maybe with Volohkin where the upside might just be extremely high. Xhekaj is not a Pezzetta, who I actually liked in the OHL for his speed, energy and effort but not much else. What you are hoping is that you found someone that is a load to deal with, but in addition to being tough, strong, big, he has hands. I just wonder if he could be something like Milan Lucic.

He's still so raw since he was a rookie in the OHL last year and now he's playing a new position so it might take several years to get there but the what if with him and Volohkin just seem to me like they could be something special in time but that it's so early in their development that it's not far from just magic beans but will be very interesting to see how it ends up.
As a late bloomer myself, I am pulling for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad