Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
It was the whole look at first..

Xhekaj looked like a nepotism pick since we have his brother, no real production in his draft year.. usually not a good thing. But I had no idea about the massive growth spurt.

Then they take an overage defenseman that no one really knew about, out of Russia.

Then they take another goalie, who is a back-up in the QMJHL.

And then they took another goalie out of the MHL.

It just looked at first that their list ran out and they were making some odd choices.. buoyed with some other overagers in Harris and Mittelstadt.

But they knew what they were doing the whole time.

F. Xhekaj kept his fighting and edgy game going while adding more offense to his game.
Konyushkov has been a top defenseman in the KHL.
Miller is one of the best goalies in the CHL on a terrible team and was so impressive in camp.
Volokhin has been lights out.

There was a method to the madness and again kinda shows why this scouting staff deserves some trust.

No doubt, in hindsight the 2023 draft looks promising for what it was but I feel like a lot of fans were surprised by the Reinbacher pick, which instantly set the tone for the draft for everyone. That pick will be analyzed for years but what a start to the draft, including Carey not knowing the dudes name.

Not having a 2nd rounder in that draft was also a big part of it too, the first pick is disappointing if you're looking for flash and high end talent and then there's nothing until 69th and it's a goalie. It lacks excitement for sure. Poor Florian didn't have a chance cause he was picked next and we're all looking for something to get hyped about, I was questioning it as much as anyone.

I do agree though, there is a method here. Clearly they are drafting D and G first, obviously they take longer to develop. Then you draft your high end scoring talent. This is the way.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
In 27 games he has 1 less point than he had last year in 68 games.

Certainly showing some promise there
I haven't been watching his games. Mostly watching the highlights that @montreal provides. Even in a video where I was watching to see how Mesar was doing. I seemed to notice him doing a lot of little things well. His added offensive skills are a nice bonus.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I haven't been watching his games. Mostly watching the highlights that @montreal provides. Even in a video where I was watching to see how Mesar was doing. I seemed to notice him doing a lot of little things well. His added offensive skills are a nice bonus.
Yeah, exactly.

My hope for him is he becomes that 4th liner you absolutely love on your team and hate when he's on the other team. Finishing checks to hurt and beating people up while playing a solid game at both ends of the rink.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Yeah, exactly.

My hope for him is he becomes that 4th liner you absolutely love on your team and hate when he's on the other team. Finishing checks to hurt and beating people up while playing a solid game at both ends of the rink.
The more I watch him, the more I can definitely see that happening.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Florian has 24 points in 27 games and is a +9. He surprisingly only has 31 PIM after trying to fight everybody at the start of the season.

He's only 1 point away from last season's point total (25) but in 41 games less.
I don’t think he quite has top 6 skills but kid’s a damn fine passer. Great at creating havoc in front of the net.

Would be cool if he can keep developing the finesse side of things. Love his game

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don’t think he quite has top 6 skills but kid’s a damn fine passer. Great at creating havoc in front of the net.

Would be cool if he can keep developing the finesse side of things. Love his game
The improvement in his skating has been noticeable, if not significant. The combination of his increased mobility, size and superior shot gives FX a chance to make the NHL. And to be something more than just a fringe player.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The improvement in his skating has been noticeable, if not significant. The combination of his increased mobility, size and superior shot gives FX a chance to make the NHL. And to be something more than just a fringe player.
Yeah him looking quite good at C is quite shocking. Looks great carrying the puck through the NZ and distributing it as well. Really impressed

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Yeah him looking quite good at C is quite shocking. Looks great carrying the puck through the NZ and distributing it as well. Really impressed
What is equally impressive is the team’s orientation towards being bigger. One can see the outline of a much heavier/ larger team with Slafkovsky and Dach already here and the possible additions of the Xhekaj brothers, Reinbacher; Mailloux and Tuch.

After watching the Kings and Buffalo try to physically maul our team into submission, its time to establish a full physical response. We have to create a team that is big, heavy, fast and aggressive, that opponents hate playing against.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
What is equally impressive is the team’s orientation towards being bigger. One can see the outline of a much heaver/ larger team with Slafkovsky and Dach already here and the possible additions of the Xhekaj brothers, Reinbacher; Mailloux and Tuch.

After watching the Kings and Buffalo try to physically maul our team into submission, its time to establish a full physical response. We have to create a team, big, heavy, fast and aggressive, that opponents hate playing against.

It’s funny that management anticipated this as far as 2 drafts ago and people on here were “oh great. MOAR size again”. Now people are clamouring for us to get bigger lol. This board.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Well if Florian rockets up the depth chart the same way his brother did who wasn’t drafted….imagine the projection of a 4th rounder! lol, cheers.
Florian is a much better skater than Li’l Abner. The chances of him exceeding expectations are exponentially greater than those that were afforded his older brother. Always be reminded of the old Russian adage: When you can skate , anything is possible. When you can’t, nothing is. FX can skate.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Florian is a much better skater than Li’l Abner. The chances of him exceeding expectations are exponentially greater than those that were afforded his older brother. Always be reminded of the old Russian adage: We you can skate , anything is possible. When you can’t, nothing is. FX can skate.

As much as I think Li’l (lol) can still improve his D, it’s one less obstacle that Flo Xhek doesn’t have to face. Florian could very well end up being the better one. Not written in stone but it’s a distinct possibility that isn’t hard to envision

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

many of us would be fine if he's a bottom 6er with a lot of grit and clearly defined role.
There's a reason Vegas won the cup with guys like Kolesar and Carrier (both 6'2 220) in the bottom 6.
In fact Marchessault is the smallest guy on the team at 5'9.
No other player is under 6 feet.
Habs aren't winning anything until this is addressed.
There was a reason habs went to the covid cup. our 4th line was 6'4 armia, 6'3 perry and 6'4 Staal
and a D that had chiarot, Weber and Edmundson

sorry for the digression lol

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
many of us would be fine if he's a bottom 6er with a lot of grit and clearly defined role.
There's a reason Vegas won the cup with guys like Kolesar and Carrier (both 6'2 220) in the bottom 6.
In fact Marchessault is the smallest guy on the team at 5'9.
No other player is under 6 feet.
Habs aren't winning anything until this is addressed.
There was a reason habs went to the covid cup. our 4th line was 6'4 armia, 6'3 perry and 6'4 Staal
and a D that had chiarot, Weber and Edmundson

sorry for the digression lol
There’s truth in what you say. But in that distorted year, we don’t get past the first round without Price in nets ( and Campbell playing in the other).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reminds me of McCarron with Oshawa a bit, that one season where a coach had the idea of using him as a do-it-all center and he played the best hockey of his career all the way to the memorial cup.

That's kind of how I see Xhekaj ending up on the lower side of things, what we are seeing from McCarron now but hopefully it won't take as long. Of course he's not as tall as Big Mike but he's showing he can play the position pretty solidly. I'm surprised at how well he seems to do on draws.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That's kind of how I see Xhekaj ending up on the lower side of things, what we are seeing from McCarron now but hopefully it won't take as long. Of course he's not as tall as Big Mike but he's showing he can play the position pretty solidly. I'm surprised at how well he seems to do on draws.
We'll see, it's definitely the best he's ever been at the junior level, pretty much night and day from what he was even at the start of this season. To be honest, I didn't think he had it in him to be more than a slow bruising energy line guy, it's all been a very pleasant surprise .

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Let florian develop as a crash and bang winger. Do not turn him into a center and try to make the Mccarron error 2.0

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Let florian develop as a crash and bang winger. Do not turn him into a center and try to make the Mccarron error 2.0

I think he’d likely have more success as a winger but he’s really elevated his play since being switched to the middle.

I think you’re right on both counts though. They should’ve switched Big Mac to wing on the farm. They let it go too long. And despite Flo Xhek’s play at C he’d ultimately look better on the wing. Willing to let the experiment play out in junior though.

What I wanna know is if he stays for an overager year or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad