Flint Firebirds 2023 - 24 Off-Season Thread

three dog night

May 3, 2014
should be announced tomorrow, three way trade, bertucci to barrie, brauti to niagara, not sure what goes to flint but i think its pretty deep, good young player, good picks.

i think its brati and maybe 2/3 picks, a depth player as well to niagara
Niagara needs defence men

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Frolov + picks would definetly make the deal more palatable but in a go-for-it season there’s still the issue of Bertucci>Frolov. If Jokinen signs and plays really well though, they should be ok. Bertucci will certainly be a major loss for this season. McParlan will need to maximize the return on their remaining assets. I think they still need a 19yo 1C and a little better depth at LW. With Day, Brown and Sutherland signed I wonder if they could sign another G prospect and move one of Brown or Sutherland?

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Frolov + picks would definetly make the deal more palatable but in a go-for-it season there’s still the issue of Bertucci>Frolov. If Jokinen signs and plays really well though, they should be ok. Bertucci will certainly be a major loss for this season. McParlan will need to maximize the return on their remaining assets. I think they still need a 19yo 1C and a little better depth at LW. With Day, Brown and Sutherland signed I wonder if they could sign another G prospect and move one of Brown or Sutherland?
is there a chance they’re going for it next year and just looking for some playoff experience this year? Thibodeau will be an OA, Aspinall 19, clattenburg OA, ewles OA, Lombardi 18, Martin 18, Kaden pitre 19, kostov 19, Jenken OA, Flugins is only an 07 with a late birthday (2026 eligible), Zurawski 17, Tessier 17, Cunningham 17, brown 19.

Yes I know a lot of OA’s but what if they trade one of these guys next year for picks and then flipped those picks for better players? Or used some of the younger guys to get better players. To me (an outsider) it looks like a 2 year window to me. I could be off though.

Reactions: Section5Petes

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
is there a chance they’re going for it next year and just looking for some playoff experience this year? Thibodeau will be an OA, Aspinall 19, clattenburg OA, ewles OA, Lombardi 18, Martin 18, Kaden pitre 19, kostov 19, Jenken OA, Flugins is only an 07 with a late birthday (2026 eligible), Zurawski 17, Tessier 17, Cunningham 17, brown 19.

Yes I know a lot of OA’s but what if they trade one of these guys next year for picks and then flipped those picks for better players? Or used some of the younger guys to get better players. To me (an outsider) it looks like a 2 year window to me. I could be off though.
Ewles was traded to Sudbury.

Jenken would have to take HUGE strides this year to be considered for an OA spot. I don't think he would have any value either in a trade market unless someone just wanted a cheap body.

But I do understand your thinking here, maybe there is a 2 year window. Not sure either core would be good enough to go all in with tho.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Ewles was traded to Sudbury.

Jenken would have to take HUGE strides this year to be considered for an OA spot. I don't think he would have any value either in a trade market unless someone just wanted a cheap body.
Forgot about Ewles and didn’t know how good jenken was
But I do understand your thinking here, maybe there is a 2 year window. Not sure either core would be good enough to go all in with tho.
I agree.
Next year looks far more promising though as long as brown or some other goalie takes some strides along with the younger players on the roster and Thibodeau (will produce lots I’m sure but not big enough for NHL so comes back)

Without Bertucci this year I feel you guys maybe battle it out with Windsor for that bottom seed of the playoffs- pretty top heavy, statistically weak goalies, very questionable defence- jenken who again I don’t know too much about, would be your highest scoring d man coming back and smith your second followed by frolov

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Jenken is alright. I’m not sure he’ll be here this year but he’s a solid bottom pairing D capable of filling in top 4 minutes occasionally when needed. The thought of going for it next year is intriguing and I see some logic there but here’s the issues I see. 1. They just traded for Mania, Konyen and Collins not to mention Thibodeau. Those 3 from Sudbury are THIS year moves. 2. Those moves also seriously depleted their draft pick cupboard and to restock that, they’re going to need to move guys out they just acquired. Don’t find that likely. 3. Who’s finishing ahead of Flint this year? Like who’s got the roster and assets in the West? London. Saginaw but they lost a LOT and don’t have the draft capital to assemble the roster they did last year. Erie? Could get enough back to have a really solid roster but they’re already lacking draft capital too. Windsor, Sarnia, Soo, Owen Sound, Kitchener? Not this year and I don’t see who of those rosters is finishing ahead of Flint. Guelph? I don’t know but I don’t put it past Burnett putting together a solid group if he chooses. 4. Nathan Day. He’s better than nearly anyone gives him credit for and I highly doubt he’s back in 25-26. Brown might be the guy and he looks promising but he’s got more to prove first.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Entire thing puts your GM in a tough spot. If he knew Bertucci didn't wanna return before making those trades w/SBY KGN I'd question that pretty heavily. Have never seen your roster as a true contender & knowing you'll lose your best player would make it super puzzling.

If he didn't know until after that's brutally unfortunate. Puts the GM in a brutal spot. Spent a lot of picks that he stocked up all for not & would have to try to flip those guys, issue is teams have since added OAs, cut down to their 3.

I'd agree with MJ5 that I'm not sure the core group of vets this year or next year really have the makings of a championship level team. U gotta have some serious top end 19/20 year olds to go for it & both years not sure I see that.

Martin/Lombardi/Frolov/Kostov/Aspinall/Flugins/Zurawski (and ur other 2nds & 3rds last 2 drafts) is a really solid foundation that projects a much higher ceiling at 18/19/20 than ur current 19s/20s. Just weird cause you are coming out of a rebuild so entering another is a tough sell for the fans I'd imagine.

My 2 cents that no one asked for 😂

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Jenken is alright. I’m not sure he’ll be here this year but he’s a solid bottom pairing D capable of filling in top 4 minutes occasionally when needed. The thought of going for it next year is intriguing and I see some logic there but here’s the issues I see. 1. They just traded for Mania, Konyen and Collins not to mention Thibodeau. Those 3 from Sudbury are THIS year moves. 2. Those moves also seriously depleted their draft pick cupboard and to restock that, they’re going to need to move guys out they just acquired. Don’t find that likely. 3. Who’s finishing ahead of Flint this year? Like who’s got the roster and assets in the West? London. Saginaw but they lost a LOT and don’t have the draft capital to assemble the roster they did last year. Erie? Could get enough back to have a really solid roster but they’re already lacking draft capital too. Windsor, Sarnia, Soo, Owen Sound, Kitchener? Not this year and I don’t see who of those rosters is finishing ahead of Flint. Guelph? I don’t know but I don’t put it past Burnett putting together a solid group if he chooses. 4. Nathan Day. He’s better than nearly anyone gives him credit for and I highly doubt he’s back in 25-26. Brown might be the guy and he looks promising but he’s got more to prove first.
You’re right I didn’t look good enough at rosters in the west. HUGE drop off in skill from last year holy crap the east will run the league.

Windsor maybe, soo will still be decent, Owen sound will suck except for George, Kitchener is bound for a rebuild but even though they’re rebuilding I don’t think they bottom out with all their young talented players, Guelph I think is a middle of the pack team. Sarnia too young they probably bottom out.

I think the 2 teams in the west that miss the playoffs are Owen sound and sarnia. however with Owen sound they have George who is probably the best goalie in the league so that’s a big X factor. Sarnia has a LOT of young talent and still has Fischer who will be a big impact d this year moreso than last year I assume so all that could be a big x factor

Regardless of the end standings. I don’t think flint is better than London, saginaw, erie or even close probably. I know they’ve done some work to the team but still far from a championship team. Kinda like the fronts. a big drop off from those 3 and teams like Soo, Guelph, you guys, Windsor. fighting for 8th is sarnia, Owen sound, kitchener maybe.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Martin/Lombardi/Frolov/Kostov/Aspinall/Flugins/Zurawski (and ur other 2nds & 3rds last 2 drafts) is a really solid foundation that projects a much higher ceiling at 18/19/20 than ur current 19s/20s. Just weird cause you are coming out of a rebuild so entering another is a tough sell for the fans I'd imagine.

My 2 cents that no one asked for 😂
I think they get playoff experience this year, maybe win a round, next year maybe they sell some guys off like Thibodeau and it’s a building block year before 2026/27 when the cup is in the O and some guys like Martin would be 19 I think, same with flugins, Lombardi, and then Zurawski is 18

If I was flint management I’d be so pissed off at Bertucci, I definitely would not be sending him to the team he wants to go to that’s for sure lol. Really sucks for them because now without Bertucci it’s a really weak d core

Reactions: hockeylegend11

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the only thing that would prevent Flint from first in the division is targeted centres in trade not willing to report.

Reactions: ohloutsider

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Just seems like Flint is straddling the line of buying and selling that last few seasons. Will sell off players and then trade picks for Dann. Sell off assets then trade for Peer/Mancini. Bring in players then trade away Bertucci.

No solid vision here. You guys could be really good. Just need to commit one way or the other instead of running this middle ground strategy.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
If I was flint management I’d be so pissed off at Bertucci, I definitely would not be sending him to the team he wants to go to that’s for sure lol. Really sucks for them because now without Bertucci it’s a really weak d core
Really weak? How so?

Bertucci doesn't just want out to want out, there's other factors in his request, trying to be closer to home.

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
Wouldn’t Bertucci have a no-trade clause, so they couldn’t trade him to somewhere he wouldn’t want to be? Maybe I am wrong.

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my comment. I was just referencing if people were saying they should ship him where he doesn’t want to be.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

A couple of off-seasons in the making, Bertucci now seems successful in forcing his way to a team that could and would acquire Barlow.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad