Flint Firebirds 2023 - 24 Off-Season Thread

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Has clattenberg been showing he has any hands? I mean other than for fighting?
Well he more than doubled his goals scored in the 30 games with Flint vs the 30 he played in the Soo. We were kind of surprised at his level of play. We knew he was a tough guy but he turned out to be a tough guy with some skill and just as importantly he is a leader on the ice. He was a clutch player too. Always seemed to have that big hit or be johnny on the spot in the corners and in front of the net. He took a lot of pressure off our younger players when other team would try to rough them up. Set a good example for them. The kid brings a lot t to the table other than scoring.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Doesn't make sense when you need help up the middle.
Maybe that’s all they could get to commit. If not, I don’t understand it at all. They already had a solid top 6 with Jack D’Arcy and Mason Taylor in the wings. Not to mention the possibility of signing Colosimo. You’d think Bertucci, Mania and Collins are locks. I really hope they aren’t planning on moving Smith or Fellinger.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
the only way the petes can do that is because they dont have an owner to say no. thats not something anyone does,
I get that. I didn’t think many…or any at all had true scouts or part time scouts in Europe or flew staff over there. It’s just that Rolf Nilsen is a billionaire. He’s talked a lot s**t about wanting Flint to be one of the top organizations in the CHL. He has done a lot for the arena and it appears the organization is slowly trending in the right direction. My thought perspective from an OHL business standpoint? Flint has struggled to acquire quality Imports over their existence. Spend the $15-20k or whatever to send a couple guys over there. Your team will/should be significantly better on ice from that. Wins will put people in the seats in Flint without a doubt. Enough to pay for that trip over the course of a season I bet. Plus, if their landing high quality 17yo’s and they get NHL drafted, doesn’t the club get a couple grand back for that?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I get that. I didn’t think many…or any at all had true scouts or part time scouts in Europe or flew staff over there. It’s just that Rolf Nilsen is a billionaire. He’s talked a lot s**t about wanting Flint to be one of the top organizations in the CHL. He has done a lot for the arena and it appears the organization is slowly trending in the right direction. My thought perspective from an OHL business standpoint? Flint has struggled to acquire quality Imports over their existence. Spend the $15-20k or whatever to send a couple guys over there. Your team will/should be significantly better on ice from that. Wins will put people in the seats in Flint without a doubt. Enough to pay for that trip over the course of a season I bet. Plus, if their landing high quality 17yo’s and they get NHL drafted, doesn’t the club get a couple grand back for that?
Oh man, you said too many positive things. You sent the bat signal out for her.

Just waiting for her to chime in now. 3.....2.....1..

• Haha
Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Per, the OHL Website…the list of current and former Flint Firebirds attending NHL Development camps includes…

Coulson Pitre (Anaheim)
Nolan Collins (Columbus)
Tristan Bertucci (Dallas)
Blake Smith (Detroit)
Connor Clattenburg (Edmonton)
Nathan Day (Edmonton)
Matthew Mania (LA Kings)
Nathan Aspinall (NYR)
Artem Guryev (San Jose)
Will Cranley (St. Louis)
Kaden Pitre (Tampa Bay)

…and former Firebirds

Gavin Hayes (Chicago)
Brennan Othmann (NYR)
Ethan Hay (Tampa Bay)
Braeden Kressler (Toronto)

Wouldn’t have been surprised to see Thibodeau, Konyen or Jenken at a camp either. Hopefully all 3 can show they should have got an invite as the 24-25 season progresses.

Reactions: Toldyaso

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Per, the OHL Website…the list of current and former Flint Firebirds attending NHL Development camps includes…

Coulson Pitre (Anaheim)
Nolan Collins (Columbus)
Tristan Bertucci (Dallas)
Blake Smith (Detroit)
Connor Clattenburg (Edmonton)
Nathan Day (Edmonton)
Matthew Mania (LA Kings)
Nathan Aspinall (NYR)
Artem Guryev (San Jose)
Will Cranley (St. Louis)
Kaden Pitre (Tampa Bay)

…and former Firebirds

Gavin Hayes (Chicago)
Brennan Othmann (NYR)
Ethan Hay (Tampa Bay)
Braeden Kressler (Toronto)

Wouldn’t have been surprised to see Thibodeau, Konyen or Jenken at a camp either. Hopefully all 3 can show they should have got an invite as the 24-25 season progresses.
I’m surprised Thibodeau didn’t get invited.

yes he’s small and horrible defensively but he’s very very fast, and is great offensively. In other words a lot to work on but could probably be a bottom 6 nhl guy in the future with some weight out on(think he’s only about 150 right now LOL)

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I’m surprised Thibodeau didn’t get invited.

yes he’s small and horrible defensively but he’s very very fast, and is great offensively. In other words a lot to work on but could probably be a bottom 6 nhl guy in the future with some weight out on(think he’s only about 150 right now LOL)
Now come on, Is this Mr Thibideau? You must be the only fronts fan unhappy to see him go. Flint fans... he can skate, skate away from the corners and skate up his strong side and lose the puck at the opposition blue line. All the best to the kid, I do wish every current and former Frontenacs all the best, I really do.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Now come on, Is this Mr Thibideau? You must be the only fronts fan unhappy to see him go. Flint fans... he can skate, skate away from the corners and skate up his strong side and lose the puck at the opposition blue line. All the best to the kid, I do wish every current and former Frontenacs all the best, I really do.
You’re funny. I don’t know thibby at all but over the last 2 seasons I believe he produced the most amount of points on kingston. If he was 6’1, 180 he would’ve got the shot. Not at 5’9 and 150.

I just saw Luke McNamara go to this second development camp and there’s 0 chance in hell he is more skilled than Chris. That’s my point. I don’t love the guy but he did bring something to the fronts and that was scoring (and a mouthpiece dad but that’s not on the kid)

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They’ll just have to find linemates that work for him. I admit some guys just don’t have it and almost no situation will work but a lot of one-dimensional players have had great seasons or careers. Hopefully a change of scenery does him good. We shall see, we in Flint have to be optimistic. I personally haven’t seen him much or focused heavily on him when I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ5 and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They’ll just have to find linemates that work for him. I admit some guys just don’t have it and almost no situation will work but a lot of one-dimensional players have had great seasons or careers. Hopefully a change of scenery does him good. We shall see, we in Flint have to be optimistic. I personally haven’t seen him much or focused heavily on him when I did.
Thibodeau did have 21 g, 39 a; not exactly Cy Young #’s. Flint is getting him for his 19-20 yr old seasons, in the end I think the trade will look good for both teams.

Reactions: Finster8 and MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Thibodeau did have 21 g, 39 a; not exactly Cy Young #’s. Flint is getting him for his 19-20 yr old seasons, in the end I think the trade will look good for both teams.
I was looking at last year’s Kingston stats and noticed that despite all the criticism Thibodeau receives he was the only + player who played more than 40 games. Like I said I haven’t watched him much or paid particular attention to him when I did and yes, I also realize +/- is a bit overrated but still…..

In addition I’m mildly surprised Tristan Bertucci didn’t make Canada’s Summer Showcase roster. I’d put him on par or above Quinton Burns and Andrew Gibson who did make the roster. Good news for Flint that Tristan likely won’t be gone for WJC but probably pretty dissapointing for him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I was looking at last year’s Kingston stats and noticed that despite all the criticism Thibodeau receives he was the only + player who played more than 40 games. Like I said I haven’t watched him much or paid particular attention to him when I did and yes, I also realize +/- is a bit overrated but still…..

In addition I’m mildly surprised Tristan Bertucci didn’t make Canada’s Summer Showcase roster. I’d put him on par or above Quinton Burns and Andrew Gibson who did make the roster. Good news for Flint that Tristan likely won’t be gone for WJC but probably pretty dissapointing for him.

Gibson and Burns are better suited as 7th D and PK? They are looking for all of the ingredients for a team, not necessarily the 23 most talented.
Hockey Canada also invited players for an early look towards ‘26 WJC it seems.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Gibson and Burns are better suited as 7th D and PK? They are looking for all of the ingredients for a team, not necessarily the 23 most talented.
Hockey Canada also invited players for an early look towards ‘26 WJC it seems.
That’s exactly the mentality that got them no medal last year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That’s exactly the mentality that got them no medal last year.

No.
Canada has the depth to ice multiple competitive teams. There will always be some that question the choices based on their subjective view of talent available without any consideration to what could be the most effective (team).
Hockey Canada always chooses a few that are exceptional role players and/or two year players.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
No.
Canada has the depth to ice multiple competitive teams. There will always be some that question the choices based on their subjective view of talent available without any consideration to what could be the most effective (team).
Hockey Canada always chooses a few that are exceptional role players and/or two year players.
And there’s no reason for them to take that strategy. They should never finish worst than silver. Teams in leagues have limitations to acquiring talent (cap, assets etc) so yeah role players have to be used. There is no such limitation with the talent pool Canada has for the WJC. They don’t need to use role players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad