Flint Firebirds 2023 - 24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I can see bringing in a 1LW at the deadline. Would Zurawski be made available if you could get someone like Greentree?
On paper I'd say absolutely.

But he hasn't played a game yet, so we have no idea what we have at this point.

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
LW​
C​
RW
Connor Clattenburg - 05 - 60 GP - 29 PKaden Pitre 06 - 35 GP - 30 PEvan Konyen *04* - 55 GP - 48 P
Nathan Aspinall 06 - 65 GP - 34 PJimmy Lombardi 07 - 62 GP - 20 PChristopher Thibodeau 05 - 68 GP 60 P
Matthew Wang 05 - 61 GP - 11 PGage Brandon - 08 Rookie - 3rd roundAlex Kostov 06 - 66 GP - 26 P
Jeremy Martin 07 - 64 GP - 14 PMax Anderson - 07 - 18 GP - 0 PCole Zurawski - 08 Rookie - 1st round
Ryland Cunningham - 08 - Rookie - 2nd round
LDGRD
Tristan Bertucci 05 - 61 GP - 44 PNathan Day 05Matthew Mania 05 - 45 GP - 23 P
Blake Smith *04* - 65 GP - 13 PJacob Brown 06Nolan Collins *04* - 65 GP - 26 P
Mason Taylor 06 - 3 GP - 0 PRylan Fellinger 07 - 58 GP - 4 P
Matthew Jenken 05 - 68 P - 18 P
Jack D'Arcy 07 - 4 GP - 0 P

Lots of right handed defenders now, wondering in Jenken gets moved for something. Fellinger was very solid last year, and only expect him to take bigger strides.

Want list-
1/2 C to pair with Pitre, who just hasn't stayed healthy. Love Lombardi, but don't want to put that much pressure on him too early.

LD - Maybe flip a pick and Jenken for a LD
LW - Maybe. I expect big things from Aspinall, Clattenburg was solid, Martin has a knack for scoring some goals.

Need Nathan Day to take big steps this year.
An impact centre in the import draft would be ideal.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think Nathan Day is completely fine in net.
I’m completely fine rolling into next season with Day and Brown. They should be one of the top tandems in the league. As far as the trades go, they seem decent on a quick initial look. I don’t like giving up Ewles though and him being included might tilt the deal Sudbury’s way. I like goaltending and D for next year but they still need a little help at forward. Unless by miracle, Coulson gets returned there’s no game breaker up front. Decent committee for sure but committees don’t usually get it done in the post season. Sure would be nice if McParlan hadn’t spent 6 picks on Peer. Who would have thought? Oh right. Everybody.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
You guys will probably get frustrated with Mania. Was not in the long-term plans for the wolves and I can't say I disagree. Hopefully it all works out. I'll check in in the fall to hear your thoughts

Collins solid D for the most part. You'll like him.

Konyen- hard worker

Last edited:

BiffTannen

Oct 2, 2022

I have no idea why Flint gave up Ewles, after his first 2 weeks I thought he turned into a very solid player.

Klinkhammer is a great personality, great kid. Not much more than a 4th line player.

This translates for me to them dumping Bertucci and getting alot of these picks back. Likely wanted to get this deal done first, as trading Bertucci to the highest-bidder will be much easier than getting two quality dmen to report like the ones they acquired.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
This translates for me to them dumping Bertucci and getting alot of these picks back. Likely wanted to get this deal done first, as trading Bertucci to the highest-bidder will be much easier than getting two quality dmen to report like the ones they acquired.
you guys have Day in net who is an average goalie, with another offseason maybe he becomes above average

Then you have mania and collins that will be apart of your top 4- and you have Bertucci who will probably be getting looked at from team Canada, smith is an alright defensive d man but doesn’t put up any points. That’s a pretty solid top 4 to start out with assuming they make some more trades.

Then you also have 2 import picks to use

Up front Kostov, Lombardi, K Pitre, aspinall all are probably gonna have breakouts on their own. Then you have Thibodeau who will put up 75+ pts and konyen will put up 60+ points.

Id say you guys are in a good position here. Still may be a year too young but you should get top 4/5 in conference atleast. Not sure trading Bertucci would make much sense there after all these moves

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
You might be translating the wrong language. This move means they are trying to win. Trading Bertucci isn't a winning move for more picks.

I don't see them trading Bertucci at all unless this team collapses on the ice.

They have a solid top 4 with him.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I question spending that many picks without getting a sure fire star player, but I agree with what Dirty said. The west Division is gonna be rather bad. Sarnia & Windsor might battle for 2nd & neither team is gonna be legitimately good. Soo rebuilding & SAG returns some good players but likely sell, too.

So it's wide open for Flint. These with other moves will ensure getting a top 2 seed. Gotta keep adding to the F group to be a legit contender but T4 looks strong & now have some depth up front. If Day takes a step you're in a good spot.
On paper right now, I still think Saginaws returning guys, and Sarnias roster are stronger than Flint’s. With things as is, I see Flint/Windsor battling for 3rd. A lot will change before the season begins though.

And they did bring in 4 solid players, but none really hit the “this is our top guy” narrative for Flint or any other team in the OHL. Any of the guys they acquired could easily be mid-tier 2nd line/2nd pairing options. Thibodeau was the best acquisition so far, but to me I’d be upset if we moved those picks on him. Luckily, high chances of an OA season just due to size.

Reactions: TonyB and TcNorth

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
they are definetly not trading bertucci, they may make him captain.

dont be shocked to see owen sound and barlow in the talk with flint in january, just a hunch not a rumour but bertucci and barlow are best friends.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Any insight on Gavin Ewles?
You’re gonna like him. His first few games in Flint I wasn’t impressed. Forcing plays, creating turnovers and getting beat more often than I would like then after a couple weekends he started to settle down and was fairly impressive down the stretch. He’s not gonna put up a ton of points but he can produce offense. He’s not overly physical either but he’s not soft or afraid to play the body. He’ll make the safe, smart play more often than not and isn’t a liability defensively. He was surely gonna start the season in the top 4 for Flint. I think he’s the perfect D partner for a high offense D that might gamble a bit. Including him in the trade swings it a bit in Sudbury’s favor I believe.

On paper right now, I still think Saginaws returning guys, and Sarnias roster are stronger than Flint’s. With things as is, I see Flint/Windsor battling for 3rd. A lot will change before the season begins though.

And they did bring in 4 solid players, but none really hit the “this is our top guy” narrative for Flint or any other team in the OHL. Any of the guys they acquired could easily be mid-tier 2nd line/2nd pairing options. Thibodeau was the best acquisition so far, but to me I’d be upset if we moved those picks on him. Luckily, high chances of an OA season just due to size.
Who on Sarnia’s roster are you looking at? Saginaw loses a LOT and Drinkell isn’t stupid. He’ll be moving a couple more out before the year is over. Windsor has a lot of questions in net and on the blueline. They’re gonna need to add if they want to make playoffs.

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
You’re gonna like him. His first few games in Flint I wasn’t impressed. Forcing plays, creating turnovers and getting beat more often than I would like then after a couple weekends he started to settle down and was fairly impressive down the stretch. He’s not gonna put up a ton of points but he can produce offense. He’s not overly physical either but he’s not soft or afraid to play the body. He’ll make the safe, smart play more often than not and isn’t a liability defensively. He was surely gonna start the season in the top 4 for Flint. I think he’s the perfect D partner for a high offense D that might gamble a bit. Including him in the trade swings it a bit in Sudbury’s favor I believe.

Who on Sarnia’s roster are you looking at? Saginaw loses a LOT and Drinkell isn’t stupid. He’ll be moving a couple more out before the year is over. Windsor has a lot of questions in net and on the blueline. They’re gonna need to add if they want to make playoffs.
Thanks for the Ewles assessment, much appreciated. Have a great summer.

Reactions: howlman

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Congrats to the Everblades, but I have a hard time seeing the relevancy to this thread?
I believe they are saying that Rolf needs to take notes from teams in his back yard on how to create a championship team. Plus IIRC the poster attends ECHL games in florida (either solar bears or everblades).

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Congrats to the Everblades, but I have a hard time seeing the relevancy to this thread?
Always trolling. Never brings anything to this thread.
I believe they are saying that Rolf needs to take notes from teams in his back yard on how to create a championship team. Plus IIRC the poster attends ECHL games in florida (either solar bears or everblades).
She's claimed the ECHL was coming to Flint for about 6 years now.

Claimed to have tons of insider information. How everyone and their cousin wanted out yet no one ever mentioned by her got traded.

Not sure how they let her stick around with all the fake information.

Reactions: Toldyaso

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
The RELAVANCY of it all is that Flint Firebirds owner Rolf Nilsen's own business and home is in the backyard of Hertz Arena home of the Florida Everblades. When Nilsen was looking to purchase a hockey team, the Florida Everblades were one of the teams on his list. Thank God that did not happen fore the great hockey fans of SW Florida would not today be celebrating 3-peat championships.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
How to assemble a winning ECHL roster and franchise has very little to do with how to assemble a winning OHL team. London or Hamilton/Brantford would be much more relevant currently. When Rolf was looking to buy a hockey team, he was looking for a team to place Hakon on. I don’t think he was eyeballing ECHL for his 17yo boy, besides even Hakon could probably earn his own way onto an ECHL roster.

Reactions: Toldyaso
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad