Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Hey everyone out there loves you guys and are pulling for you like crazy. You’ve got more action on your thread than almost any team; you’ve got Owen Sound guys, Soo guys, Me from Sarnia, etc... and we’re all hoping it gets sorted out ASAP.
Hopefully your coaching staff is preaching fresh start for November and post a winning month.

Wish nothing but the best to our fellow hockey fans in Flint . You folks have held up your end.

BTW, looking forward to our second trip to Flint ( and Saginaw) in February 2019, with the Owen Sound Attack Pak fan club .

I enjoyed our last visit. There an Owen Sounder on the Firebirds, Connor Roberts .

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I still truly think that with Wellwood at the helm and if they can ever get Kolyachonok, Busby, McCourt, Roberts, Rowe, Phibbs, Vierling and Bianconi all healthy and in the lineup, that this is a fairly decent roster that can win some games. It's too bad that they've dug a hole they won't be able to climb out of unless they get really good really fast. I don't see a game breaking forward that can drive the offense and it makes no sense to spend on this year. Moving Gordeev and Dellandrea makes much more sense. It's just gotten old and is really unfortunate. I figured this was a team that could challenge for 5-8 seed this year. Finally be competitive in the West and get that attendance up over 3,000 and 75% capacity. Then really take a shot next year and sell that place out frequently. Hakon's junior career would end during that time and any potential buyers would see how successful the OHL could be in Flint. Instead, we've gotten 4 years of incompetence and instability at the top. Basically 4 years of disappointing results on the ice. Fans are not going to show up in numbers this year. For the casual hockey fan, there's been no on ice results to draw them in. No kids have come through the organization and had any NHL success. Ned is the closest with one NHL game played and some solid AHL results lately. He'll get his chance in the big league but it might come after Flint is gone. As far as calling kids up, this organization has never established that pipeline and if you're a kid on the bubble and even mildly considering the NCAA, would you give that up to join this team right now? They could trade for a body or two, but then if everybody gets healthy they've got far too many kids and you'll either be scratching unhappy players or shipping them out. Not a good look, but they might have a bunch of volunteers to be traded.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dellandrea would drive the offence if a couple of also young F can step up. Ty can be one of the top F at 19; I’d try to hang on.
Winterton is a bit of a bonus find.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Is there a junior team affiliation that they can call up players? I don't understand why playing short handed if they can call up players?

You’d have to have the played signed to an OHL contract to call him up

Reactions: cub

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Dellandrea would drive the offence if a couple of also young F can step up. Ty can be one of the top F at 19; I’d try to hang on.
Winterton is a bit of a bonus find.

Winterton’s younger brother is pretty nasty. Could probably convince him to come if his brother is there. He’ll probably be a 2nd rounder in the coming draft

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Winterton’s younger brother is pretty nasty. Could probably convince him to come if his brother is there. He’ll probably be a 2nd rounder in the coming draft

If Flint is lucky...bit of a Whitby connection. Some think younger brother is among top 20.

On emergency call ups, seems visas have been difficult recently. Flint would need to sign two to get one for each country

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Winterton and Kepper have easily been our 2 most impressive kids every night.

Reactions: cub

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If trying to save $ is the answer to why there's been no call ups, that's disappointing. The sure fire way to fail as an OHL organization is to be cheap. If you want to succeed, you need to spend. As far as impressive this year, Keppen has been solid most nights. Bianconi goes unnoticed most nights which isn't a bad thing for a 16yo D put in the situation he's in. Considering age and draft status though, Winterton has been hands down the most impressive Firebird every night. Work ethic, hustle, results. If they could solidify lines, get him comfortable as the trigger on the second line where he should be, he'd look even better.

Reactions: Toldyaso and cub

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
There was an earlier post that said Ty wanted out and that he was keeping to himself in the dressing room. A captain should set an example on and off the ice. If he is doing what the post said then trade him...

Reactions: TcNorth

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I still truly think that with Wellwood at the helm and if they can ever get Kolyachonok, Busby, McCourt, Roberts, Rowe, Phibbs, Vierling and Bianconi all healthy and in the lineup, that this is a fairly decent roster that can win some games. It's too bad that they've dug a hole they won't be able to climb out of unless they get really good really fast. I don't see a game breaking forward that can drive the offense and it makes no sense to spend on this year. Moving Gordeev and Dellandrea makes much more sense. It's just gotten old and is really unfortunate. I figured this was a team that could challenge for 5-8 seed this year. Finally be competitive in the West and get that attendance up over 3,000 and 75% capacity. Then really take a shot next year and sell that place out frequently. Hakon's junior career would end during that time and any potential buyers would see how successful the OHL could be in Flint. Instead, we've gotten 4 years of incompetence and instability at the top. Basically 4 years of disappointing results on the ice. Fans are not going to show up in numbers this year. For the casual hockey fan, there's been no on ice results to draw them in. No kids have come through the organization and had any NHL success. Ned is the closest with one NHL game played and some solid AHL results lately. He'll get his chance in the big league but it might come after Flint is gone. As far as calling kids up, this organization has never established that pipeline and if you're a kid on the bubble and even mildly considering the NCAA, would you give that up to join this team right now? They could trade for a body or two, but then if everybody gets healthy they've got far too many kids and you'll either be scratching unhappy players or shipping them out. Not a good look, but they might have a bunch of volunteers to be traded.

I really don't understand how they cannot sign players to call up to put a complete roster. Wolves went through alot of injuries last year, and we called up from Junior B, we had at least 5 or 6 players called up, majority of these kids played 8 or 9 games. I'm finding it hard to understand why can't do this, if its money sad.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I really don't understand how they cannot sign players to call up to put a complete roster. Wolves went through alot of injuries last year, and we called up from Junior B, we had at least 5 or 6 players called up, majority of these kids played 8 or 9 games. I'm finding it hard to understand why can't do this, if its money sad.

Precisely, Rolf Nilsen is the wealthiest of all 20 OHL owners. He has the money to be able to afford an NHL franchise.

You yourself stated that the Wolves called up players when they ran into a short bench and I am sure that other OHL fans can say the same thing with their respective OHL team.

The OHL established an account which Nilsen supplies $$$ for the operation of the Firebirds each season since he has been under suspension by the OHL.

The OHL is not paying one cent to operate the Firebirds, Rolf is footing the bill 100 percent.

The reason why players have not been brought in to alleviate the short benched Firebirds is due to the fact that Nilsen has not supplied the money to do so.

Also, the reason that the Firebirds do not offer more Gold packages to attract players is not the fault of the OHL, this also is a decision that Nilsen has chosen to do.

Heck, Nilsen has not even paid for a color play by play radio person. Hennig's been doing the job solo unless someone comes along to do it for nothing.

If Nilsen is supposedly suspended then why in the heck is he even at games or even worse showing up at center ice for pre game presentations?

I repeat, Nilsen does not care one bit about Flint, all he cares about is the next place for his son Hakon to play in.

The OHL CANNOT allow Nilsen to be able to operate the Flint franchise once his suspension is lifted.

We're off to London in a couple hours...let's hope that it doesn't get U-G-L-Y tonight.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Precisely, Rolf Nilsen is the wealthiest of all 20 OHL owners. He has the money to be able to afford an NHL franchise.

You yourself stated that the Wolves called up players when they ran into a short bench and I am sure that other OHL fans can say the same thing with their respective OHL team.

The OHL established an account which Nilsen supplies $$$ for the operation of the Firebirds each season since he has been under suspension by the OHL.

The OHL is not paying one cent to operate the Firebirds, Rolf is footing the bill 100 percent.

The reason why players have not been brought in to alleviate the short benched Firebirds is due to the fact that Nilsen has not supplied the money to do so.

Also, the reason that the Firebirds do not offer more Gold packages to attract players is not the fault of the OHL, this also is a decision that Nilsen has chosen to do.

Heck, Nilsen has not even paid for a color play by play radio person. Hennig's been doing the job solo unless someone comes along to do it for nothing.

If Nilsen is supposedly suspended then why in the heck is he even at games or even worse showing up at center ice for pre game presentations?

I repeat, Nilsen does not care one bit about Flint, all he cares about is the next place for his son Hakon to play in.

The OHL CANNOT allow Nilsen to be able to operate the Flint franchise once his suspension is lifted.

We're off to London in a couple hours...let's hope that it doesn't get U-G-L-Y tonight.
So he's willing to buy an arena and an OHL franchise for his kid to play but won't spend the little bit of cash it takes so he can be on a winning team?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, it's a little bit of a break for Flint. Evan Bouchard and Alex Formenton have been returned to London but won't be in the lineup tonight. At least we won't be seeing a double repeat of Hayton's first game back for the Soo against the Firebirds and they'll have 2 games out of the way vs the Knights. They're gonna start blowing a lot of teams out soon.

Reactions: three dog night

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
So he's willing to buy an arena and an OHL franchise for his kid to play but won't spend the little bit of cash it takes so he can be on a winning team?

B-I-N-G-O

Savard, Answer me this question...Why is Hakon Nilsen still on this team?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Not defending Nilson but I am pretty certain it really isn't as simple as Rolf just throwing money at the team. Nilson is not allowed to be involved in the actual operations of the team beyond providing an annual operating budget. He is not and has never been banned from being in the arena or participating in on ice events. My understanding is that the League management team and Nilson agree on a budget before each season. If the league is sticking religiously to the initial budget then there is no flexibility to do more like teams that are fully controlled by their owners can do. This is the problem with league control. At the end of the day it is about staying under budget rather than putting a competitive team on the ice. The leagues primary interest is to spend no league money on this team. If they did not get an adequate budget to begin with then they will not succeed in putting a competitive team on the ice. If they did not get an adequate budget who's fault is that? The league took control of the team and only suspended the owner. They have the responsibility to properly manage the team and if that means injecting money into the budget then the league has to figure that out. I don't think any good business man wants to write a blank check with zero control over how his money is used. I'm thinking the League is doing a piss poor job of running the team. where the team is at this point in time is purely on the league. They are into their 4th season of team control and the team has gotten worse every year. It is time for the league to get out of the business of running this team. They are clearly not any good at it. Either hand it back to Nilson and see what happens or force it's sale. I would be immensely saddened to see the OHL leave the Flint area. I cannot even begin to describe how much I would hate to see that happen but it cannot continue as it is. It's not fair to the owner, The Greater Flint area community, and most importantly it's not fair to the young men who come to play here.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
B-I-N-G-O

Savard, Answer me this question...Why is Hakon Nilsen still on this team?
Well, I think it's clear the league cut a deal with Rolf that Hakon would have a place on the team. I think they've probably also pushed for him to get more ice time than he deserves. It doesn't make sense though for Rolf to spend $15-20+ MILLION to get his kid on an OHL team but not be willing to spend thousands-tens of thousands or even a couple hundred thousand for his kid to play on a competitive team. A decent chunk of my family's budget goes to my youngest's athletics. I'd easily be willing to up that budget to further her and her team's success.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Well, I think it's clear the league cut a deal with Rolf that Hakon would have a place on the team. I think they've probably also pushed for him to get more ice time than he deserves. It doesn't make sense though for Rolf to spend $15-20+ MILLION to get his kid on an OHL team but not be willing to spend thousands-tens of thousands or even a couple hundred thousand for his kid to play on a competitive team. A decent chunk of my family's budget goes to my youngest's athletics. I'd easily be willing to up that budget to further her and her team's success.

You know what else doesn't make sense...0-14-1.

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
You know what else doesn't make sense...0-14-1.

You know what i'm a soo greyhounds fan.... and a 0-14-1 start does sound right cause think about all the guys you have out of the line up

Dennis Busby (injured)
Vladislav Kolyachonok (Visa issues) can know play in Canada he still cant play at home and he is a pretty good D one of your best
Riley McCourt ( injured)
Suspensions have hurt phibbs and i belive Fedor has been suspeneded at some time during the season
Lucas Rowe ( injured)
Connor Roberts( injured)
Vierling and Bianconi u 17's

its not the worst once they come back you'll win some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad