Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Sunday's 7-1 game was a Freak Show on the Ice, Tonight's 9-3 loss to the Soo was a Horror Story. It's okay Firebird fans, cover up your eyes.

Homer.jpg

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Flint hasn’t had a full squad from day one. If they are still doing this bad when they do, then there’s a problem. Until then, we have to deal with the cards we are dealt with having injuries and suspensions etc.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Flint hasn’t had a full squad from day one. If they are still doing this bad when they do, then there’s a problem. Until then, we have to deal with the cards we are dealt with having injuries and suspensions etc.

There is a problem. The Birds didn't have the injuries or suspensions or players sent to tournaments at the start of this season when this all began. Remember game 2, 12-1 loss to an inferior Erie team? Earth to the OHL/Barclay Branch, there's something not quite right here.

I feel for these kids. Going into tonight's game they were down 4 skaters to begin with. Say what you want, that has to be demoralizing when the people who could do something to help or prevent this, DON'T do anything.

Anybody with any knowledge of hockey knew that this team tonight would suffer a collapse as they did with the short bench. It eventually catches up to you.

I've talked with a number of the players parents since Sunday who are not happy about what's going on in Flint. I now am wondering if and when this is going to explode with the players.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I was at the game tonight and Kolyachonok looked great. I hope that Firebirds fans get to see him in person very soon. Eric Uba also played very well in my opinion. The team just got worn out by the Greyhounds depth with their short roster, but put forth a good effort.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
I Hope Cavallin Gets more starts was good after getting put in.
Careful what you wish for; Cavallin is young and if you put him into blow out games on a consistent basis you will wreck him beyond repair. That is why you have a veteran goalie, Vella is just playing out his career.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Firebirds players need your fan support now more than ever.

When I watch my team, I always make a point to stay till the end, applaud the 3 stars, no matter the team, and applaud our boys when they salute the fans after every home game, win or lose .

It's the least we can do.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I agree, the fans have frustrations, can you imagine what the players are going through. It can’t be easy going into every game having no wins and being in the state that this team is in. A lot of what’s going on is out if their control and we don’t know what is going in in that locker room, so the least we can do is show support. If the fans give up, they will too!

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I was at the game tonight and Kolyachonok looked great. I hope that Firebirds fans get to see him in person very soon. Eric Uba also played very well in my opinion. The team just got worn out by the Greyhounds depth with their short roster, but put forth a good effort.
Kolyachonok chased down a Greyhound from the far blueline that had gotten behind his defense partner in the first period last night. Might have been the fastest I've seen a Firebird move in two seasons! Guy's got wheels.

Reactions: Toldyaso

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
The Firebirds players need your fan support now more than ever.

When I watch my team, I always make a point to stay till the end, applaud the 3 stars, no matter the team, and applaud our boys when they salute the fans after every home game, win or lose .

It's the least we can do.

Tell that to the fans who are staying away from the Dort. This is the attendance for the last seven games played in Flint... 1,657, 1,816, 1,701, 2,863, 1,551, 1,982 and 1,757 for an average of 1,903.

Since the team has been in Flint there has never been a stretch of 7 games where the attendance has been below 2,000 for 6 of those seven games.

This team is currently drawing 700 less fans per game than in previous years. This is only going to continue if things don't change. These are the FACTS, no "sugar coating" it here.

Reactions: 4thLiner

4thLiner

Mar 8, 2017
Detroit
Reminder that "attendance" is tickets distributed. Not necessarily butts in the seats or tickets scanned, or even tickets paid for. It's essentially the max amount of people that could theoretically be there at puck drop.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Tell that to the fans who are staying away from the Dort. This is the attendance for the last seven games played in Flint... 1,657, 1,816, 1,701, 2,863, 1,551, 1,982 and 1,757 for an average of 1,903.

Since the team has been in Flint there has never been a stretch of 7 games where the attendance has been below 2,000 for 6 of those seven games.

This team is currently drawing 700 less fans per game than in previous years. This is only going to continue if things don't change. These are the FACTS, no "sugar coating" it here.
Yes, the truth is, nothing brings fans to a game more than winning .

No amount of promotions, giveaways, Lazer lights, video screens can do it like W's.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I just want to say that I applaud ALL the players and coaches in this tough situation. Players have left their families and coaches have uprooted their families to join this team. It is unfortunate and down right despicable to see what is happening. This is no fault of the players or coaches. Upper management which includes the OHL, BB and JS need to step up and help them. In all of my 55 plus years watching hockey no matter the level I have never seem a team where upper management does not care.

Bear54

Sep 20, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie

I agree completely. The Firebirds got off to a great start (2-0) before the short bench caught up to them. The wife and I were both impressed with the character of these young men. They played a full 60 minutes and gave everything they had to compete with the Hounds. I hope they can put this slow start behind them soon.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I just want to say that I applaud ALL the players and coaches in this tough situation. Players have left their families and coaches have uprooted their families to join this team. It is unfortunate and down right despicable to see what is happening. This is no fault of the players or coaches. Upper management which includes the OHL, BB and JS need to step up and help them. In all of my 55 plus years watching hockey no matter the level I have never seem a team where upper management does not care.

I wonder if the leagues participation extends further than their business interest.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015

Attachments

• giphy-downsized.gif
    giphy-downsized.gif
    786.3 KB · Views: 4

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Kolyachonok chased down a Greyhound from the far blueline that had gotten behind his defense partner in the first period last night. Might have been the fastest I've seen a Firebird move in two seasons! Guy's got wheels.
Koly is a top prospect for next year's NHL draft. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish the Knights kept Koly instead of Boqvist--the latter being a one-and-done. Chicago might have a say in the matter but knowing that both Bouchard and Formenton will stick in the NHL, I'd sooner have Koly for at least 2 seasons.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If there was any interest from the league they would have fixed it already.

How exactly? Get visa papers in order for an emergency call up? Drop Vella then use several picks on two OA? Seems like a good idea to me; but, ...
Bangs for 3 seasons was an irresponsible use of a pick, Rowe for 4 seasons was a frivolous waste of picks, Koly ... there are 21 skaters rostered of which 20 will return next season

Last edited:

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Hey everyone out there loves you guys and are pulling for you like crazy. You’ve got more action on your thread than almost any team; you’ve got Owen Sound guys, Soo guys, Me from Sarnia, etc... and we’re all hoping it gets sorted out ASAP.
Hopefully your coaching staff is preaching fresh start for November and post a winning month.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
We are all hoping that you end your winning drought this weekend---against London!
Be epic to see the birds best London, though it might be tough with the short bench. I’m sure it’s been discussed but about the short bench, are there no call ups available? How much for tickets at the Dort guys? By the way I like Henning. Seems like a gentleman to me and the fans in this thread as a collective seem very intelligent and supportive. If they’re a representation of the fan base it’s impressive,especially given the difficulties. It’s so easy to get lost in perpetual negativity.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Is there a junior team affiliation that they can call up players? I don't understand why playing short handed if they can call up players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad