Seravalli: Flames trying to trade for a center

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
The "rumor" states that Calgary is looking for an age appropriate center for what they are trying to do and this thread is full of 30+ year old cap dumps.

This is nothing new. Conroy has clearly identified an age group of 21-26 in most if not all of his deals. Names like Norris, Mercer, Greig, Cozens, etc.. fit the bill whether or not they are available is another story.
It's interesting. The Caps are trying to do something similar, for the same reason; all their adds this summer were under 30 players. And yet, despite being very explicit about their intentions -- not tanking, but trying to rebuild by adding young players via trade and FA and not just the draft -- pundits and fans of other teams seem confused.

I don't know whether either team will succeed. But what they're trying to do shouldn't be hard to understand. And yet...

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
Im finding it difficult to articulate how terrible of an idea I think this is for the Flames, and how annoyingly short sighted they have been to end up in this situation.

Their centre depth is two mid thirties guys, a winger, and the a bunch of depth guys. There are basically no prospect in the pipeline. Mostly because they have drafted almost no centres in the last three years.

Now with the hot start they're putting the cart before the horse, but would like to get younger relatively as well. But no GM wants to trade their young promising centre. So where does that leave the Flames? Probably overpaying for a near bust a la the 2017 Lazar trade.

This stinks of Flames ownership interference.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Seravalli is comic relief. I doubt very much his claims to be an insider or any story he trots out there.

There is no doubt, however, that the Flames have a continuing requirement for a young centre for depth purposes. And that this centre should be an up and comer.

Flames have strong organizational depth at defence, wing, and goaltending, not to mention loads of cap space, and draft picks.

If GM Conroy is on the hunt it will be a pretty good hockey trade.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
It's interesting. The Caps are trying to do something similar, for the same reason; all their adds this summer were under 30 players. And yet, despite being very explicit about their intentions -- not tanking, but trying to rebuild by adding young players via trade and FA and not just the draft -- pundits and fans of other teams seem confused.

I don't know whether either team will succeed. But what they're trying to do shouldn't be hard to understand. And yet...
I think Kings retool was successful till the PLD disaster. Keeping Kopitar and Doughty and riding with young guys making smart trades and drafts. Just made an error.

Ledge And Dairy

The concept of Calgary looking for centers is nothing new. Especially ones in the U26 range. The Flames have 2 bonafide centers on their roster in Kadri and Backlund, and both are on the wrong side of 30. Pospisil is playing well there but the sample size is small, and Zary could transition to center at some point too. But past that the options are borderline AHLers like Rooney and Kirkland with zero upcoming prospects. Technically Luke Misa is a center but it's highly unlikely he stays there if he wants to make the NHL.

However Calgary is not going to trade off things like 1sts and 2nds based on a 4 game sample size. This is more likely a buy low search. Players like Kotkaniemi or Tomasino come to mind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad