Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

I think you mean Florida at the end; you wrote flames.

Also this is pretty obviously Montreal will get Floridas 1st round pick. No way Calgary makes the playoffs and even worse is that they are certainly going to have a top10 pick. Huberdeau will likely be traded if another team wants that albatross contract (unless he figures it out wherever he gets traded). I wonder if the Habs should take a flyer on that at 50% retained, but I digress.

Calgary in rebuild and Florida defending their Stanley Cp without losing anyone important from the cup winning team.

What am I missing on this even being a debate?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
This is an old article but it says that since the NHL moved to 16 teams in the playoffs, only 2 times has a team won the cup and missed the playoffs the next season, so expecting the Flames to miss the playoffs seems like a longshot at best.

Definitely a longshot for Florida (I know you don't mean the Flames) to miss the playoffs but it's more likely to happen in the cap era than any other time in history. Keep in mind a year ago a President's Trophy defending Florida team, with the same core as now, only made the playoffs because the Penguins lost to the scorched earth Blackhawks in the last game of the season. With a Stanley Cup hangover (short offseason), a couple of key injuries and Bobrovsky playing like someone in his mid-30s could be enough in a highly competitive East.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
@BoneHutson

A lottery pick is NOT a top 14 pick. It's either #1 or #2. If Florida finishes with pick #14, and does not move up, Calgary gets pick #14.

No idea why you're quoting something from 2012. Lottery rules have changed since then.
Why? The concept of a lottery protected pick hasnt changed tho. The 16th last team can still win the lottery, they just cant move up to 1.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think you mean Florida at the end; you wrote flames.

Also this is pretty obviously Montreal will get Floridas 1st round pick. No way Calgary makes the playoffs and even worse is that they are certainly going to have a top10 pick. Huberdeau will likely be traded if another team wants that albatross contract (unless he figures it out wherever he gets traded). I wonder if the Habs should take a flyer on that at 50% retained, but I digress.

Calgary in rebuild and Florida defending their Stanley Cp without losing anyone important from the cup winning team.

What am I missing on this even being a debate?

Definitely a longshot for Florida (I know you don't mean the Flames) to miss the playoffs but it's more likely to happen in the cap era than any other time in history. Keep in mind a year ago a President's Trophy defending Florida team, with the same core as now, only made the playoffs because the Penguins lost to the scorched earth Blackhawks in the last game of the season. With a Stanley Cup hangover (short offseason), a couple of key injuries and Bobrovsky playing like someone in his mid-30s could be enough in a highly competitive East.

Correct, I meant to say the Panthers won't likely miss the playoffs after winning the cup since it almost never happens.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I've never heard it worded that way, to me if it was just picks 1 and 2 then it should say top 2 protected.

It's not clear if lottery protected is for a team that wins the lottery (I believe three balls are choosen, not just 2) who are then rewarded with a top3 pick. Does it also mean that if you have a ball in the lottery, you have a lottery pick? I would say that would have a major loop hole, because you may participate in the lottery, but your final pick has nothing to do with the lottery. For example: This wouldn't work if you were #1 but somehow didn't get picked in the lottery which would then mean that they fall to #4 pick... would that pick be a lottery pick?:help::huh::badidea::banghead::dunno:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It's not clear if lottery protected is for a team that wins the lottery (I believe three balls are choosen, not just 2) who are then rewarded with a top3 pick. Does it also mean that if you have a ball in the lottery, you have a lottery pick? I would say that would have a major loop hole, because you may participate in the lottery, but your final pick has nothing to do with the lottery. For example: This wouldn't work if you were #1 but somehow didn't get picked in the lottery which would then mean that they fall to #4 pick... would that pick be a lottery pick?:help::huh::badidea::banghead::dunno:

There's only 2 lottery winners and it's a number combination now, not a single ball.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It's only lottery protected, which is top 2.

View attachment 893125
The conditions on this trade are just wild. The fact that Florida would need to have a pick in the top2 of the 2025 draft is definitely inprobable, but yet remain plausible until maybe December?

What is the draft position of Florida in the 2025 draft if they finish in the final four of the playoffs? I can't remember if the standings position locks after the final 8 or final 4. What would be the most likely outcome for Florida: 25-32 draft position? With that result Montreal would acquire that pick?

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
No one but an absolute genius should be trying to figure this out. It's better just to say we have 2 first rounders and wait until the season's end before contemplating this conundrum. :D

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is an old article but it says that since the NHL moved to 16 teams in the playoffs, only 2 times has a team won the cup and missed the playoffs the next season, so expecting the panthers to miss the playoffs seems like a longshot at best.

One of those 2 times is NJ in 1995-1996. The funny thing is they won the cup in 1994-1995, then missed the playoffs in 1995-1996 and then proceeded to make the playoffs 13 years in a row (and win two more cups along with a scf loss on top of that).

Important to note that in 1995-1996 they had more points than 5 teams makings the playoffs. They were 4 games over 500 and scored 13 more goals than they allowed (not a terrible season at all). They would have drafted not that high in the current system.

Richer and Broten also hit a wall that year finishing the season with respectively only 32 points and 23 points while they were close to a ppg the previous season. That season was lighning in a bottle if we want to be honest.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lottery pick measns participates in the lottery, which means did not make the playoffs.

Reactions: BoneHutson

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
2025 is a forward heavy draft. If we get a top 15 with Florida’s or Calgary’s I would be happy.

Our own will also be top 10.

2 picks in top 15

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Because of Sean Monahan trade for 1st WPG, we have now Michael Hage. (#26 + #57 + #198) for #21.

Basically so far it's

1st pick CGY//FLA.
#21 (Michael Hage).
74 games of Sean Monahan. (He have been a great leader).

In exchange for:

Considerations futures.
#26 (Liam Greentree).
#57 (Carter George).
#198 (James Reeder).

Time will tell, but at this moment, it's a huge win by Habs. Michael Hage looks like a top 6 potential.

Liam Greentree have good tools, but he is a really bad skater. I'd prefer the high offensive skillset of Michael Hage.
You missing another first that became newhook

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Trying to catch another Montour lightning in a bottle.. good buy low move

They have been very good at it. I feel like every player gain a extra 25 points playing for the Panthers. Reinhart going from 50-65pts to 80. Verhaeghe has been one of the best free agent signing. They got a young 70 pts player for free. He is also very good in playoff.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
They have been very good at it. I feel like every player gain an extra 25 points playing for the Panthers. Reinhart going from 50-65pts to 80. Verhaeghe has been one of the best free agent signing. They got a young 70 pts player for free. He is also very good in playoff.
Marchessault also took off in Fla, prior to being exposed in VGK expansion draft

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Marchessault also took off in Fla, prior to being exposed in VGK expansion draft

Letting Marchessault go for free has to be one of the dumbest decision took by the Florida GM.... Pretty sure, Florida could have been back to back champion with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad