HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
is it top 10 protected pre or post lottery?

If it's pre lottery it would mean we would have access to the draw them finishing at 11 let's say?

And if so do we have access to 1st pick lottery win at 11 or only from 2OA?

Thnx

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
We should hope for a FLA playoffs miss. The pick that they traded to CGY is essentially top 16 protect (lottery protect). So, if they finish 17th, we get CGYs first (top 1 protect).

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
We should hope for a FLA playoffs miss. The pick that they traded to CGY is essentially top 16 protect (lottery protect). So, if they finish 17th, we get CGYs first (top 1 protect).

Puckpedia show Florida’s pick as top 10 protected.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The is likely going to be their lineup

Huberdeau-Kadri-Mantha
Kuzmenko-Sharangovich-Coleman
Lomberg-Backlund-Zary
Hunt-Pospisil-Coronato
Rooney
Duehr

Bahl-Weegar
Bean-Andersson
Hanley-Miromanov
Pacha

Vladar
Wolf

Their biggest weakness when it comes to drafting 11th is Vladar and the left side of the defense.

Reactions: montreal

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
is it top 10 protected pre or post lottery?

If it's pre lottery it would mean we would have access to the draw them finishing at 11 let's say?

And if so do we have access to 1st pick lottery win at 11 or only from 2OA?

Thnx

The more logical thing it's should be after lottery. If they are #11, we have the pick. If it's between 1 and 10, CGY keep their pick.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Puckpedia show Florida’s pick as top 10 protected.
Theyre wrong, its lottery protect (top 16). Capfriendly is more accurate

Florida is not missing the playoffs. It's not hapenning.
You dont know that. A barkov injury and Bobrovsky playing like shit is definitely something that could happen. DET, BUF and OTT are gonna push hard this year, and WAS, NYI will definitely fight for the wildcard spots

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Theyre wrong, its lottery protect (top 16). Capfriendly is more accurate

I’m not sure about that. Even Capfriendly shows this condition:

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Meaning if Calgary has a top ten pick and Florida has, for example, the 11th pick Montreal gets Florida’s pick.

Reactions: LynnLoins

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Meaning if Calgary has a top ten pick and Florida has, for example, the 11th pick Montreal gets Florida’s pick.
It all depends on whether they receive FLAs pick or not. It is top 16 protect (see picture). If they dont receive it, we get their unprotected first (only top 1 protect but whatever)

That condition is wrong regardless because CGY cant receive FLAs pick if they miss the playoffs (unless for some reason FLA chooses to let CGY have it and retain their pick in 26, but I dont see why FLA would do this).

Attachments

• IMG_6579.jpeg
    IMG_6579.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 6

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As has often been said, the best transactions are often the ones you don’t enter into.

One has to respect the steely nature that Hughes has demonstrated. First by ignoring the pressure to pass on Wright and pick Slafkovsky 1 OA and recently to resist the noise of that segment of the team’s fans who were pushing and crying for the team to enter into the free agent frenzy.

It’s hard to find a good leader in any aspect of life: politics, business or sport. In Hughes, Montreal has found a cool, calculating and bright leader. The positive results of that inspired leadership are about to become manifest to even the most jaded of our fans.
Tarasenko or Perron were not "frenzy".

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

We get the better pick only if both are outside the top 10.

It all depends on whether they receive FLAs pick or not. It is top 16 protect (see picture). If they dont receive it, we get their unprotected first (only top 1 protect but whatever)

That condition is wrong regardless because CGY cant receive FLAs pick if they miss the playoffs (unless for some reason FLA chooses to let CGY have it and retain their pick in 26, but I dont see why FLA would do this).
There's a 2nd set of conditions for if Calgary's desn't receive the Panthers pick.

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Ok thanks for the clarification.

There's a 2nd set of conditions for if Calgary's desn't receive the Panthers pick.

2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.

1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

Yes, I’m aware of that condition.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023

That first sub scenario is already solved with PHI receiving their 24 first RD pick since FLA didnt finish bottom 10. Now what remains to be seen is whether FLA finishes bottom 16 or not. If they do, they transfer their 26 pick to CGY and keep their top 16 pick in 25, and we get CGYs top 1 protected first

And to further support the idea that lottery protect means top 16, you can see in the pictures below that other trades involving a protected 1st rd pick all specify top 10 or top 5 (not using the term lottery protected)
Heres a comments that I made in another thread

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
That first sub scenario is already solved with PHI receiving their 24 first RD pick since FLA didnt finish bottom 10. Now what remains to be seen is whether FLA finishes bottom 16 or not. If they do, they transfer their 26 pick to CGY and keep their top 16 pick in 25, and we get CGYs top 1 protected first

Heres a comments that I made in another thread
Click on “BonHutson said” to see the pictures in the thread

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Hughes should look at trading one of our LD's to the Flames to "help" them stay above 10th OA next year. :cool: Cause I don't see the Flames missing the playoffs. Of course injuries can happen so we'll see but better to plan for one while hoping for them to miss.
Nah he should trade them to teams like TB, WAS, NYI, BUF and OTT who might all end up pushing FLA out of a playoffs spot (meaning we would get CGYs top 1 protected first or in other words, a top 10 pick)

Reactions: Walksss

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Florida is not missing the playoffs. It's not hapenning.

I don’t think they will either, but if there was a year that they were to underperform it’d be this season. Back to back cup finals is exhausting. Add to that some loss of depth, lingering injuries and Cup let down and you have the best chance of Fla having a crappy year.

Reactions: Gustave and Walksss

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don’t think they will either, but if there was a year that they were to underperform it’d be this season. Back to back cup finals is exhausting. Add to that some loss of depth, lingering injuries and Cup let down and you have the best chance of Fla having a crappy year.
Yeah i agree but which team is booting them out? Detroit? Buffalo? NYI ? Washington?

NYR
Carolina
NJ
----
NYI, Caps

Boston
Toronto
TB
----
Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo

Even with a bad season i think they make it by the back door like in 2022-2023. They will be fighting against mediocre teams.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013

Totally agree. Obviously they'll need a little bad luck but the division will be even more competitive than last year, every team in the Atlantic arguably got better except for them and NYI and WAS should be able to make things interesting for the wildcard spots.

Anything could happen next year, no way Florida will be a lock to make it.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Yeah i agree but which team is booting them out? Detroit? Buffalo? NYI ? Washington?

NYR
Carolina
NJ
----
NYI, Caps

Boston
Toronto
TB
----
Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo

Even with a bad season i think they make it by the back door like in 2022-2023. They will be fighting against mediocre teams.

I have no idea but it seems as if every year there are teams that come out of nowhere to be much more competitive and others that fall off.

A lot of teams in the east have improved and injuries always play a huge roll in a teams success. Having back to back cup finals takes a huge toll on the body and the season is very long. Look at Fla a couple of years ago when they barely made it in on the last day of the season, mainly due to injuries.

They’ll most likely make it but fingers crossed they don’t or Calgary finishes 11th or last OA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad