HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
So the Calgary’s pick:

If Florida finishes bottom 16 missed playoffs then they retain their pick.

If Calgary is top 10, then not 1st overall then we get their pick 2nd overall to 10th overall.

Basically it all comes down to Florida missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So the Calgary’s pick:

If Florida finishes bottom 16 missed playoffs then they retain their pick.

If Calgary is top 10, then not 1st overall then we get their pick 2nd overall to 10th overall.

Basically it all comes down to Florida missing the playoffs.
Florida won't miss the playoffs. So for me it all comes down to whether Calgary finishes bottom 10 or 11th or better. I'm really hoping they finish out of the bottom 10! Will be interesting to see if they trade Kadri this summer.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Lundell signed at $5 million for 6 years so no way Florida will be able to afford Taransenko or anyone else really. They're definitely a worse team now, I doubt they'll actually miss the playoffs but they're no mortal lock either.

All we need is a down year from Bob to make things interesting cause this division is super tough. Maybe we take the last playoff spot 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Wherever this pick ends up being, we are going to be in a very nice spot at next year's draft.

Add this to likely another top 10 pick, 2 second rounders likely in the top half of the second round, 3 third rounders and potentially another high pick for Savard.. this gives us a shit ton of ammo to either move up or add a very good player through trade.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
So if I understand the Monahan trade correctly, if Calgary gets #1 overall in the 2025 draft, we get a 3rd rd pick in 2025 from Calgary and the better of Calgary or Florida’s pick in 2026? Aka the Gavin McKenna draft. I realize the odds are slim but Calgary is going to challenge for the first overall pick this year.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
So if I understand the Monahan trade correctly, if Calgary gets #1 overall in the 2025 draft, we get a 3rd rd pick in 2025 from Calgary and the better of Calgary or Florida’s pick in 2026? Aka the Gavin McKenna draft. I realize the odds are slim but Calgary is going to challenge for the first overall pick this year.

That would be crazy haha

If CGY win the #1 in 2025. They will be bad aswell in 2026. MTL will get a 3rd in 2025 and a top 5-10 pick in 2026. Wow!

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
They won't.

We will see.

They have lost important player (although not their most important indeed).

The defense is kinda weak now but mainly going to the SCF 2 years in a row can be very tough.

From the moment we were player game 82 to game 7 SCF is a longer time than the Florida Panthers entire offseason.

I mean all sign point to them indeed having a strong team again but maybe there is hope.

I remember TB having a very slow start after their first 2 run but they ended up making the final but it was dubious at some point during the season.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
  • If neither of Calgary or Florida’s 2025 1st round picks are in the top-10
    • Montreal will receive the better of the two 2025 1st-round picks.
  • If Calgary’s pick is in the top-10 and Florida’s is not
    • Montreal will get Florida’s 2025 1st round pick.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
  • If neither of Calgary or Florida’s 2025 1st round picks are in the top-10
    • Montreal will receive the better of the two 2025 1st-round picks.
  • If Calgary’s pick is in the top-10 and Florida’s is not
    • Montreal will get Florida’s 2025 1st round pick.

Going to make for an exciting lottery ...

Bet the flames finish in the 7-13 range while the Panthers will likely stay in the 20+ range.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd hold onto Florida pick. We have bunch of late picks, can trade up same as this past draft. Get another Hage.

Offer Florida pick with either Pens 2nd or ours, whichever is lower. Along with Canucks 3rd to get around 20.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Florida did lose some depth. But it was guys like OEL who probably was a passenger. Lomberg also is just a fourth liner. Tarasenko wasn't doing much. Stenlund a literal passenger.

Montour is the only significant loss, but really wasn't as good as he was last year.

Lundell should get better. Verhaege, Tkachuk and Barkov are still in their prime.

We basically need to hope Bob falls off.

Sneaky I think Schmidt is a huge upgrade for them on OEL and even their bottom pairing guys.

We should be hoping more than Calgary can finish 11th. But a Florida crash is good too. Atlantic is pretty tough and they played two seasons of cup finals, Tampa was beat up pretty bad and had a rough regular season from that before.

I think it will be higher than 31-32 at least. Could get another Hage-level prospect or flip it in a package for a real top 6 guy.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I get dizzy reading all these scenarios, lol…….bottom line its a win/win we get an extra first somewhere over the next couple of drafts. Thanks to MoneyHands & KH.
Cheers.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I forgot the condition...habs get the lower of the Florida/Calgary pick assuming the CGY pick isn't in bottom 10?
Exactly. Crazy to see how we can summarize it in one sentence now , whereas at the beginning it was like reading Hawkins Theory of everything! Hahaha of
Lundell signed at $5 million for 6 years so no way Florida will be able to afford Taransenko or anyone else really. They're definitely a worse team now, I doubt they'll actually miss the playoffs but they're no mortal lock either.

All we need is a down year from Bob to make things interesting cause this division is super tough. Maybe we take the last playoff spot 🤔
Tank gone, Montour gone, OEL gone, Lombard gone. Add Ekblads injury history and risk of going down…Unless I missed someone, that 20% of a championship roster. No way they are as dominant this year.

Rebuilds are huge decisions to make. Very few teams can tank and win a lottery at the right time... lots of luck required to to it quickly. Rebuilding with top 5 and top 10 picks is usually what happens but look how long it's taking the Sens, Sabres, Wings, etc. Habs started our rebuild but we didn't start from scratch. It's going to be another 3-5 years before we know how good this roster is. The transition years are the hardest part IMO.

It's a business too. Easier for the Habs and Leafs to do it because the fan bases still fill the rink. Would they do that in Calgary? Probably but full rinks? Not sure. That has revenue impacts.

I know a full rebuild for the Jets might mean a franchise move. They had a hard time filling the rink this year and they had a good team.

Flames not wanting to rebuild is a good thing for the Habs. Gives us a good shot at adding a pick from 10-15 range.
Moves like our draft day trades really help speed up a rebuild. Instead of waiting 2-3 years on an ELC to develop we bypass and bring in players who have proven to be NHl capable

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Rebuilds are huge decisions to make. Very few teams can tank and win a lottery at the right time... lots of luck required to to it quickly. Rebuilding with top 5 and top 10 picks is usually what happens but look how long it's taking the Sens, Sabres, Wings, etc. Habs started our rebuild but we didn't start from scratch. It's going to be another 3-5 years before we know how good this roster is. The transition years are the hardest part IMO.

It's a business too. Easier for the Habs and Leafs to do it because the fan bases still fill the rink. Would they do that in Calgary? Probably but full rinks? Not sure. That has revenue impacts.

I know a full rebuild for the Jets might mean a franchise move. They had a hard time filling the rink this year and they had a good team.

Flames not wanting to rebuild is a good thing for the Habs. Gives us a good shot at adding a pick from 10-15 range.
Moves like our draft day trades really help speed up a rebuild. Instead of waiting 2-3 years on an ELC to develop we bypass and bring in players who have proven to be NHl capable

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Because of Sean Monahan trade for 1st WPG, we have now Michael Hage. (#26 + #57 + #198) for #21.

Basically so far it's

1st pick CGY//FLA.
#21 (Michael Hage).
74 games of Sean Monahan. (He have been a great leader).

In exchange for:

Considerations futures.
#26 (Liam Greentree).
#57 (Carter George).
#198 (James Reeder).

Time will tell, but at this moment, it's a huge win by Habs. Michael Hage looks like a top 6 potential.

Liam Greentree have good tools, but he is a really bad skater. I'd prefer the high offensive skillset of Michael Hage.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't see Florida missing the playoffs, but their pick could fall in the 17-24 range, where there will still be good players.

And Calgary's pick might be in the 11-15 range.

Add in the Habs' pick and the team may add the equivalent of two of Sam Dickinson, Zeev Buium, Jeff Luchanko, and Konsta Helenius. We'd all be thrilled.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Florida did lose some depth. But it was guys like OEL who probably was a passenger. Lomberg also is just a fourth liner. Tarasenko wasn't doing much. Stenlund a literal passenger.

Montour is the only significant loss, but really wasn't as good as he was last year.

Lundell should get better. Verhaege, Tkachuk and Barkov are still in their prime.

We basically need to hope Bob falls off.

Sneaky I think Schmidt is a huge upgrade for them on OEL and even their bottom pairing guys.

We should be hoping more than Calgary can finish 11th. But a Florida crash is good too. Atlantic is pretty tough and they played two seasons of cup finals, Tampa was beat up pretty bad and had a rough regular season from that before.

I think it will be higher than 31-32 at least. Could get another Hage-level prospect or flip it in a package for a real top 6 guy.

OEL played really well for them and Schmidt is awful....definitely a downgrade. This was the first season in years that OEL was actually healthy by his own admission as his skating was extremely hampered prior to this season from all of the injuries.

OEL brought a physical element that he didn't show as much in his early years and even supplanted Montour as the PP1 QB. Schmidt is undersized and not good enough offensively to compensate for his defensive short comings......was always an overrated player and Winnipeg are happy to be rid of him

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Because of Sean Monahan trade for 1st WPG, we have now Michael Hage. (#26 + #57 + #198) for #21.

Basically so far it's

1st pick CGY//FLA.
#21 (Michael Hage).
74 games of Sean Monahan. (He have been a great leader).

In exchange for:

Considerations futures.
#26 (Liam Greentree).
#57 (Carter George).
#198 (James Reeder).

Time will tell, but at this moment, it's a huge win by Habs. Michael Hage looks like a top 6 potential.

Liam Greentree have good tools, but he is a really bad skater. I'd prefer the high offensive skillset of Michael Hage.

That 2nd pick was acquired from Colorado with Barron for Lehkonen.

The 7th round pick is from Edmundson (3+7) or Kulak(2+7+Lagesson) packages not sure which one.

:teach:

Reactions: KevSkillz4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad