Confirmed Trade: [FLA/VAN] Olli Juolevi for Noah Juulsen and Juho Lammikko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
One struggling prospect for TWO struggling prospects.... This may just be one of Jim's best trades :help:

Reactions: David71

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Brutal pick, If Benning was so bent on a Dman he should have taken one of the 3 or 4 higher ranked ones. and the pass on Tkachuk was hilarious.

Which rankings were those? Juolevi was pretty much a consensus #6. Passing on Tkachuk was an obvious miss but Juolevi was no reach.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Which rankings were those? Juolevi was pretty much a consensus #6. Passing on Tkachuk was an obvious miss but Juolevi was no reach.

true but Tkachuk was pretty much ahead of Juolevi in virtually all rankings though, wether it's one pick difference. It's like Drafting Strome over Eichel, well sure, it wasn't a reach since Strome was ranked 3rd and Eichel was 2nd (for example) , but the difference is huge between these 2 picks, that are a pick apart. I'm at a point were I'm use to Jimbo somehow screwing things up.

Reactions: Avaholic29

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Ray Ferraro formally of TSN was talking about Juolevi towards the end of last season.

He said his Job at TSN was to evaluate a few prospects for each canadian team and essentially track them so he can give his thoughts on TSN radio and on the network.
so he was following Juolevi even before he was drafted because of the WJC, and then him being a Vancouver prospect he had to continue on doing it.

He said once drafted, most prospects improve in certain areas of their game.
The best show improvement in all facets continuously and adapt.

He said Juolevi hasn't improved in one single are of his game in his opinion all the way back from when he gained notoriety on the Finnish Junior squad that won gold with Laine and Pool Party, and his London Knights days.
He still gets knocked off the puck extremely easy, his skating hasn't improved, his strength hasn't improved, his compete hasn't improved, his passing hasn't improved, and either has his shooting.
He wasnt joking when he said he is the exact same player that he was in london.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Fans here love to use pre-draft rankings but they are nothing definitive, and it's pretty obvious when the draft gets underway NHL team scouting departments care little for them. With how it went down though I see the Juolevi pick as 3 primary errors.

1. By all reports this was a pick made by GM Jim Benning over the scouting department based on his personal viewing of the WJC.
2. Obviously Tkachuk was considered a tier above and should have been the easy BPA pick.
3. If Benning had to have a defenseman, literally the reason why he's payed is supposed to be an ability to look at a group of players and pick the best one. After Juolevi the next Dmen selected were Sergachev, Bean, McAvoy, and Chychrun.

It's really just an all around drafting failure by the GM who's supposed to be a 'drafting guru', you can't really excuse it.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He wasn't a consensus pick at 6, he was anywhere from 6 to 16 with some rankings having him below Chychrun and Sergachev

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Players like Juolevi kill you. He breaks down easily and will, in the crunch, make the critical plays that cause defeat. Think Zito has done a good job in Florida and would love it if he had have come to Vancouver but can't understand what he sees here. Florida looks like a contender but you can't be that with weak players like Juolevi. Faster the Panthers realize that the better for them.

On the other hand doesn't seem like the Canucks got much either.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Juolevi is a prospect I got completely wrong. I loved his stability, but as the game got faster it didn't seem to carry over, which I guess is the reason you need to pay more attention to the flawed but dynamic skills of guys like Chychrun and Sergachev. Especially when the guy with the lack of dynamic abilities only showed his stability on stacked team (the Finnish WJC team with Laine, Aho, Puljujarvi, Kapanen, Rantanen and Knights with Marner, Tkachuk and Dvorak).

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
big Juulsen fan, he needs time in the AHL to find his game again after missing so much time to injury but if he's improved his mobility, which was his biggest issue, there's NHL tools there as I love his defensive game at least at the AHL level. He plays physical, blocks shots, good on the PK, has a big shot. Injuries have just impacted his development so badly. Really hope he can find his way back to the NHL in a year or two.

Did he look better in preseason (if you caught any of it)? If Juulsen can at least be a serviceable and rugged RHD, we'd be happy if he could even pan out as a 2nd or 3rd pair guy in the NHL. Those traits you listed (physical, shot blocking, good on PK, big shot) sound great, and I would've taken him for Olli straight up.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Solid 4th line center and good pker

Hands of stone, cant finish to save his life.

Once had a 4 assists game for us (only points that season for him too)

Wow that second assist, looking like Gretzky to Robitaille :sarcasm: and his backhand sauce, wow

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Are you kidding? Benning couldn't have made a worse pick at 5th overall!
Don't get caught up by the schtick.

Much of the canucks boards are so full of vitriol towards Benning that occasionally some of them branch out by arguing in bad faith against their own opinions 'ironically'.

It's a weird performance for an audience of nobody, but if it makes them happy...

Crows

Oct 7, 2021
Fresh start for Juolevi might be just what he needs. Potential is still there. Obviously it's even tougher to crack into Panthers lineup.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Did he look better in preseason (if you caught any of it)? If Juulsen can at least be a serviceable and rugged RHD, we'd be happy if he could even pan out as a 2nd or 3rd pair guy in the NHL. Those traits you listed (physical, shot blocking, good on PK, big shot) sound great, and I would've taken him for Olli straight up.

He looked bad in preseason. The Panthers really wanted him to be the 7th D but didn't seize the opportunity. They liked Chase Priskie and Kevin Connauton more. Even Connauton is miles ahead of him right now. You'll like Lammikko though. Typical Finn grinder.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Fresh start for Juolevi might be just what he needs. Potential is still there. Obviously it's even tougher to crack into Panthers lineup.
His body was probably permanently destroyed by the covid infection, plus his hips have been gone already before. Plus he appears to be lazy to train.

Florida got absolutely fleeced by this trade.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Juolevi is a prospect I got completely wrong. I loved his stability, but as the game got faster it didn't seem to carry over, which I guess is the reason you need to pay more attention to the flawed but dynamic skills of guys like Chychrun and Sergachev. Especially when the guy with the lack of dynamic abilities only showed his stability on stacked team (the Finnish WJC team with Laine, Aho, Puljujarvi, Kapanen, Rantanen and Knights with Marner, Tkachuk and Dvorak).

I think the problem more-so was that he never really seemed to improve after his draft year. I can't think of any area where he's made a meaningful improvement since being drafted. Like even his skating, which was a strength at the junior level, is a weakness at the NHL level. Seems like he just completely stagnated.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
His body was probably permanently destroyed by the covid infection, plus his hips have been gone already before. Plus he appears to be lazy to train.

Florida got absolutely fleeced by this trade.

Hard to understand, when anyone get absolutely fleeced, when no one lost anything. Juulsen wasn't making the team and same with Lammikko. Florida needed to put Lammikko to waivers, so it's pretty much same to trade him and see, if Juolevi can be something some day. Even if he can't, they didn't lose anything. You can say, that Vancouver won here more with getting Lammikko, because he might play there, but it's not really loss to Florida.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Juolevi has above average IQ - that's the hallmark of his game. Also good puck skills, passing ability & can kill penalties. But Mobility is the issue.

Juulsen & Lammikko? Don't know much about them.
Would have been an incredible top-4 defenseman until he was injured and didn't play for a year. He also had a few other issues sprinkled in which completely killed his development. When he first came up to Montreal he looked great. Hopefully the kid can back there.

Out of the 3 players in this trade. Juulsen is the most likely to carve out a somewhat successful career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad