Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Aaron Ekblad re-signs with Panthers (8 years, $7.500M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
He already plays at a 7 million dollar player. He's 20 years old and a future Norris winner. Great deal for both sides.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
If they waited, they risk Ekblad having a monster year, especially now with Yandle, and having to pay way more.

How much more do u think he could really get? How monster of a year could he really put up? If he puts up 20 goals 60 points and is a beast defensively.. what woukd he get 8? I woukd rather that and see him develope instead of the huge question marks...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If they waited, they risk Ekblad having a monster year, especially now with Yandle, and having to pay way more.

Even with a monster year, he's not going to command that much as a 21 year old RFA. Good that they locked him down now, but with that term they could've gotten less of a caphit.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
So this is a fantastic deal, but everyone questioned the Klingberg contract?

Easy, one was a big strong Canadian, who was drafted first overall and had been known about for several years before. The other was a relatively obscure Swedish 5th round pick.

I'm just happy Nill got Klingberg to sign that contract when he did. Otherwise I can only imagine what he'd be getting after this contract, considering Klingberg has been the better player so far.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Even with a monster year, he's not going to command that much as a 21 year old RFA. Good that they locked him down now, but with that term they could've gotten less of a caphit.

No more term means more cap to eat up more ufa years... the less term they go the less aav they wpukd pay

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

He's put up ~40 pts with a defunct PP as the team's leading point guy on defense. Next season he is playing with Yandle, and the PP is a major focus this offseason. He's going break out points wise

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No more term means more cap to eat up more ufa years... the less term they go the less aav they wpukd pay

They also lose 4 years where he could've been on a cap friendly deal in order to maintain a competitive team.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
How much more do u think he could really get? How monster of a year could he really put up? If he puts up 20 goals 60 points and is a beast defensively.. what woukd he get 8? I woukd rather that and see him develope instead of the huge question marks...

Exactly. I don't understand why you would commit to a risk that is unnecessary and provides minimal benefit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Similar to Doughty's deal. Ekblad has looked to be a Doughty caliber player early on in his career so it seems like a pretty smart bet for the Panthers to lock him up right through his prime at the current number one defenseman market rate. It likely looks pretty good 3 -4 years down the road if he continues to develop into one of the games best.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Get it done early before he asks for 10.5.

Don't wanna go the bridge deal then he wins a Norris and gets 9 eh? Genius

(Weak Norris for pk but still proved he was one of the best)

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Not worth it now but n time he will be. No question about it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's put up ~40 pts with a defunct PP as the team's leading point guy on defense. Next season he is playing with Yandle, and the PP is a major focus this offseason. He's going break out points wise

Even then, he wouldn't command more then 7.5m (insanely high for a D-man in general let alone an RFA).

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not bad. Not great but not bad. I'm a fan if locking guys down early to save long term cap. But this is still a premium price. Not sure there's much cap savings by doing this now.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Not worth it now but n time he will be. No question about it.
O ye I agree.

But in 2 years when the team has really grown and you need that extra 2 million to sign a solid top 9 or top 4 defensemen and overpay him it ll be good then.

Honestly thought he'd go the Subban route of bridge. But this dollar amount you don't turn down no way.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
They also lose 4 years where he could've been on a cap friendly deal in order to maintain a competitive team.

I agree... I'm not a fan of this contract.. it's not a steal by Amy stretch especially the more I think about it.. it's probably market value and the team isn't getting a deal at all imo

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I think this might be the biggest contract in Panther history.

And this sounds extra ****ed up, but Dave Bolland isn't far behind in ranking I'm sure.

As a Panthers fan, don't you feel like it's fairly miraculous that Jay Bouwmeester bolted ASAP, but Aaron Ekblad signs a fairly team friendly long term deal? That's such a good break, imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad