Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Just watched the Gone Girl kidnapping case in Netflix. It's insane that American police can lie to you about your lie detector test.
In America, some police officers make up a lot of stories and arrest people for no reason. They pretend that they caught the mastermind criminal and that their work in capturing the guy is a heroic act. In reality, they saw a jaywalker and arrest him as if he runs a cartel.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
In lots of cases, primarily those that take time and require additional resources, charges are not laid right away. This is because once the information is laid (aka charges), it begins the Jordan clock (See R. v Jordan case law).

Once a charge is laid, trial must happen within 18 months. If police are unable to gather the evidence in time, it is not a good idea to get charges laid right away. In some cases it makes sense if a victim’s safety is in jeopardy, such as domestic violence.

An example of something taking time would be the following:

Police execute a search warrant and electronic devices are seized. Now either the search warrant includes the search of the actual device or a second search warrant must be granted. Now let’s say that part was done. The electronic devices along with the warrant must be sent to the appropriate parties to extract the data. After that, the data must be analyzed. This all takes several months to complete in many cases.

Many people complain why the police aren’t doing anything and/or are slow, but that’s an explanation for everything to ensure things are done properly and lawfully. Should the 18 months elapse and trial does not happen, all charges are dropped.

This is my simple quick explanation.

Source: I am a Canadian Police Officer.
Question? Why did the investigation take over 5 years?

Reactions: RegDunlop

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Follow the Money $$$$…

The London Police had all this information 5-1/2 years ago. No charges laid!

Introduce a backhanded shady slush fund 3 plus million payout and 5 days of parliament meeting getting the vocal me too movement stirred up …. Which probably cost an additional 5 -10 million of public $ to have these public inquires.

You don’t spend that kind of $$$ and have all those 2 faced no good politicians on all sides make promises for change with out having a final act in the courtroom !

Where’s the drama
Where’s the suspense in that
Where’s the cliffhanger
Who has the smoking gun

Follow the money 💰!

The correct answer was probably deducted 5-1/2 years ago by the London police investigation then.

Nothing to see here … looked into it … move along … nothing to see here!

-3-1/2million later ( slush$) hockey Canada
-5-10 public $ money million later
- a lot of people out there want to see millionaire athletes lose everything and get knocked down 10 pegs citing hockey culture and they have it to easy….

Politicians and do gooders getting involved…..

We live in a complicated world, and some people can't handle it.

But I always find it funny when they try to cope by inventing batshit-insane levels of additional complexity with no logical motivations or endgame as you have above.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Are you even vaguely familiar with the concept of an investigation or what lol
Are you vaguely aware With the concept that $$$ makes things happen.

Without the amounts of money involved in this case and the publicity it has received due to the money involved. It would be a local matter o. Page 5 of the local newspaper ( and nobody reads newspapers any more$

Dis-agree …. Then try standing up fo the other 10 thousand plus alleged group sex assault victims that don’t have millions attached to it that has happened in North America in the last 5 years as well.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I watched the ESPN documentary "Fantastic lies" about the Duke University lacrosse team and it's very similar to this. The 3 players were proven innocent and the victim admitted to lying also in 2013 the same girl killed her boyfriend and is now in jail. My point is these players from the 2018 team Canada could also be innocent.
I
I mean, its similar in that theyre athletes that have been accused of a sexual offence in a group setting.

Other than that I have to question if you were awake for the documentary

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
What an absolutely incoherent metaphor.
OK, maybe I over reached. Here's the short version.

The guy I was responding to claimed that guys can be subjected to rape/sexual assault after drinking too much as well. I agreed that technically that is the case.

At the same time I can technically score a goal in an NHL game. The odds are extraordinarily low, but I am physically capable to putting a puck in the net.

Doesn't make me David Pastrnak though. i.e. One of these is not EVEN REMOTELY like the other.

Apologies in advance to the millions of men who are raped each year if I'm wrong on this. f*** me.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
In America, some police officers make up a lot of stories and arrest people for no reason. They pretend that they caught the mastermind criminal and that their work in capturing the guy is a heroic act. In reality, they saw a jaywalker and arrest him as if he runs a cartel.

The line is fine on what they can and cannot do...some of the biggest cases have been solved by the FBI lying...the 2002 DC sniper case more or less was...they kept stating in media they were looking for a white van but they were really looking for a blue car...the vast majority of the semi truck industry network nearby was notified of this and they informed drivers in Maryland and Virginia to watch for the car...sure enough that is exactly how they got caught. It was a ploy to make the snipers believe the authorities were looking for the wrong type automobile hoping they'd be careless

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Are you vaguely aware With the concept that $$$ makes things happen.

Without the amounts of money involved in this case and the publicity it has received due to the money involved. It would be a local matter o. Page 5 of the local newspaper ( and nobody reads newspapers any more$

Dis-agree …. Then try standing up fo the other 10 thousand plus alleged group sex assault victims that don’t have millions attached to it that has happened in North America in the last 5 years as well.
It is quite literally impossible in this country for a crime like this to be a “local matter” as criminal law is under federal jurisdiction

Please stop posting

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I honestly can't tell if you some of you are doing a "bit" or if you actually believe yourself.

Gif no work, just like me.....

why-not-both-5b3b19.jpg

Last edited:

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007

The guy I was responding to claimed that guys can be subjected to rape/sexual assault after drinking too much as well. I agreed that technically that is the case.

At the same time I can technically score a goal in an NHL game. The odds are extraordinarily low, but I am physically capable to putting a puck in the net.

Doesn't make me David Pastrnak though. i.e. One of these is not EVEN REMOTELY like the other.

Apologies in advance to the millions of men who are raped each year if I'm wrong on this. f*** me.
I think you're downplaying the likelihood of this happening. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, there was a girl who worked with the group of people I hung around with. Her nickname was "the predator" because she would sneak into the bedrooms of passed out guys and have sex with them. After it happened several times, we started watching out for each other and making sure she was never left alone with a passed-out buddy.

It makes me a little sick to my stomach, thinking about it now. Even her victims joked about it, but what happened was absolutely rape. And the only consequences she ever suffered was that no good guys would consider dating her.

Reactions: Leafshater67

abax44

Jan 22, 2005

It isn't "technically the case." It is the case.
You "can't technically score a goal in the NHL" because you can't make the NHL.

Your analogy was dumb.

For the record, you can be sexually assaulted without being raped.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He was sued in a civil action

Civil cases are such a sham...the victim usually spends crazy amounts of cash and time and usually ends up never seeing a cent. I am also not a fan that at least here in the US a 7-5 verdict is enough in a civil case...I am not sure that unanimous is necessarily needed but would like to see the rules be at least 9-3.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
If someone grudgingly "consents" while under duress/ in a compromising situation, did they consent?
How are you able to say that it was grudgingly? And then explain how these guys are supposed to know the difference.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Is this standard behaviour now? Am I just a prude?

I have to admit in my younger days it never even crossed my mind to try and get my buddies involved in "intimate times" with a woman. Let alone the way these guys allegedly went about it which, if true, constitutes a criminal act that also happens to be completely morally reprehensible.
It's been going on for decades in junior hockey and above, get out of here with this. Hell, for an NHL example, look no further than Stevens et al in a limo in the '80's. I guarantee you that, in today's climate, it's actually BETTER now than it was then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad