Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Very difficult to say as each case has its own unique aspects. Depending on what mode of trial they elect (judge alone at Ontario Court of Justice, judge alone at Superior Court, judge and jury at Superior Court) could change the timeframe significantly.

Assuming they go for judge and jury at SCJ (the slowest option) we're probably looking at minimum 2 years before it gets to trial, and very easily could be a lot longer. I have a case in London Court next month where the accused was arrested in October of 2020.
Thanks for the reply.

Man, I know due process is important, but the wheels of justice sure take a long time to turn, heh.

Reactions: deleted user

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Correction

giphy.gif

fbvig1o.png

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Interesting. I've not had the opportunity to argue any R. v. Jordan cases myself, since the courts locally are generally quite fast. I'll have another look and remember what you've said. The only case similar to yours that I argued was pre-Jordan and in that case the Court held that the clock didn't start running until my client was arrested.

Thanks for the compliment, I pride myself in being a good member. I find big municipal Policing has a lot less success in court. Likely better lawyers in the cities and more crime.

All in all I predict they will be arrested, interviews attempted and released likely on undertaking with conditions not to contact or communicate with the victims and co-accused's and to turn over passports. Their names may not be released right away depending on how Police deal with their release.

Also depending on interviews etc...they may be released pending further investigation as well.
Thank you both - just acknowledging how interesting your conversation is. Quality stuff that is too few and far.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
I cited my "here's the gist" post in the thread title (currently post #123).

I realize that posts are getting deleted and at some point, post #123 may no longer be relevant.

Then I decided that it'd be pretty fun to just cite a random post, so please also go check out post #80 and post #33.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Sorry c

I realize that posts are getting deleted and at some point, post #123 may no longer be relevant.

Then I decided that it'd be pretty fun to just cite a random post, so please also go check out post #80 and post #33.
Sorry for contributing. Did I get deleted for speculation or for extreme crudeness?

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the reply.

Man, I know due process is important, but the wheels of justice sure take a long time to turn, heh.
They sure do. Its a result of many factors, for the most part systemic.

There is a massive backlog in Ontario Courts due to the entire court system being shut down for 6 months during COVID, and then not doing anything in person for at least a year after that.

I'm told there are staffing issues at many Crown Attorney's offices. It doesn't help that, at least locally, there's been a very significant increase in crime.

In an attempt to address the snail's pace of cases in Ontario, the Chief Justice instituted a 6 month limit on the amount of time cases can languish before trial dates are booked or a guilty plea entered. We'll see how that works; that started in November and I am just now starting to have cases go before Judicial Intenstive Case Management court to "encouragement" to move things along. In all of those cases, I have not even received victim statements from the Crown, I assume due to police and Crown backlog not being able to review and upload the evidence to the disclosure system.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
All we're asking is that we need to keep specific player names out of the conversation unless and until it's official. We've been legal actioned for less.

It's not difficult. Most of you are smarter than me AND HAVE POINTED THAT OUT TO ME MANY TIMES VIA DIRECT MESSAGE to that effect (I laminate my favorites for my mod wall).

If I can connect the dots, you can too. Smile and keep it to yourself. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, maybe we don't get sued. Kapish?

(And no, I'm not going to argue with you over your opinion about this.)
Can you actually get sued for somebody saying something on your message board? Seems stupid to me. The thread on reddit sure doesn't hold back.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

I always wondered this, why not just update the first post? When ever there is a "mod post #XYZ," it is never actually there after the first minute or two....

Why not always use the OP?

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
I always wondered this, why not just update the first post? When ever there is a "mod post #XYZ," it is never actually there after the first minute or two....

Why not always use the OP?

It would be nice if we could sneak a mod post above post #1 and use that. I've seen your proposal work (successfully) before and I do like it, but I don't like editing others' posts.

Edit: I have no problems :sarcasm::laugh: - hangman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad