Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
sounds like he was putting on a good act until he let his true self slip out lol

He went out of his way to say it, unprompted, so I think it's fair to be focused in on. He stepped in after a question that wasn't even fielded to him, just dumb and unnecessary. They straight up said their place is not to assess hockey culture as a whole and they're focused on this SA case and then he goes ahead trying to broadly diagnose the reasons behind SA as a whole
I certainly won't go far to defend it. It is way too typical of a thing when trying to deflect from SA, and while I personally don't think that was his intent, you have to own your words actions.

I'm such a nervous anxious person speaking in front of people, even say a crowd of 5 standing around looking at me, and would be so incapable of pulling off something like that press conference, that I'm probably too forgiving for live on air bungling of words. Good point that he really felt the need to make that statement for some reason and stepped in. Not a good look.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
no the entire team is suspended. even those who had nothing to do with the incident.

Appreciate the clarity. Misread on my part.

I don't necesarily disagree with it tho, especially if the Police are requiring testimony and further questions from other players. Didn't the original article say like 12 players knew of, or were an active part of this event during/after? I know they mentioned having group chats that are part of the evidence, so if the whole team is in those group chats, it doesn't seem that off if all of them knew this.

Again, speculating and asking for clarity. Don't take any of this as I have info if it's contrary to what we know.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Appreciate the clarity. Misread on my part.

I don't necesarily disagree with it tho, especially if the Police are requiring testimony and further questions from other players. Didn't the original article say like 12 players knew of, or were an active part of this event during/after?

Just double-checking the roster, it feels more like a "see what we're doing here!" kind of move. I very much doubt anyone on that roster is going to be on an olympics or World Championship roster.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Just double-checking the roster, it feels more like a "see what we're doing here!" kind of move. I very much doubt anyone on that roster is going to be on an olympics or World Championship roster.

Yeah that seems fair. Didn't take the time to look at the roster.

Obviously the big one is Cale Makar. Rob Thomas and Kyrou are also of note who this probably affects.

No one else is really of note for the big tourneys.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Well, except Cale Makar.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Obviously the big one is Cale Makar. Rob Thomas and Kyrou are also of note who this probably affects.

I mean leaving the best defensemen in the world at home for the Olympics for no reason is a pretty massive hit lol

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Was gonna say, pretty much irrelevant. Then I saw Makar. He'd be like D#1.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
How do they show that? I can speculate about lots of things, I don't know for sure. They can say "look all these other witnesses were asked about that night but they don't remember because it was too long ago". Or "we tried to get cell phone records but they don't exist any longer". Or "so-and-so might have been a witness but now is dead". Or "hotel CCTV video no longer exists".

The important thing though - defence would have to actually call evidence about these things, and not just speculate about them.
Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

Reactions: Ginger Papa

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Just saw the part where the Police Chief went off script and thought getting on a soapbox about "how society/media sexualize women in music videos, TV, magazines, etc..."

God, that could not have gone more opposite than he thought it would.

Dude thought he was that guy and just ended up looking like every guy who thinks they're that guy...

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Cale Makar?

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

Are they really going to keep innocent players suspended from international play? Wild decision.

Given it has always been stated that the players alleged to be involved were from the CHL, it seems like a wildly insane decision to punish NCAA player Cale Makar for something he had nothing to do with.

Could’ve sworn one of Kyrou or Thomas was demonstrably not even at the event. It’s even more insane to tell whichever one that is that he can’t play at the WHC in May if he wanted when it wasn’t even possible for him to be involved.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
If you'll permit me to read the tea leaves here... when it comes time for trial defence is going to file a Charter notice, which means asking for relief under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. They're going to ask for a judicial stay of proceedings, alleging their client's rights to a fair trial have been compromised. In particular they're going to allege an abuse of process by the police. In particular that because of police mismanagement of their investigation the charges are being filed 6 years late, and that because of the delay their ability to mount full answer and defence has been impaired.

Since the players were aware of the case (as part of the HC settlement) and already lawyered up about it years ago, wouldn't it be hard for them to invoke that it impended their ability?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is McLeod charged with a second offence, that sounds lesser than the sexual assault charge everyone else got, but none of the others are?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Why is McLeod charged with a second offence, that sounds lesser than the sexual assault charge everyone else got, but none of the others are?
Because he's likely Player 1, the one that invited her back and enabled them to participate.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
False accusations do happen, however think of it this way: Falsely accusing someone of rape requires a lot of steps. The initial call to 911, the conversation with the responding officers, the medical exam, the multiple follow-ups by detectives, the paperwork, the lawyers, and on and on. It takes time, perseverance, and an airtight story, with the ongoing risk that a minor inconsistency could bring suspicion onto you.

On the other hand, actual rape happens in 10 minutes.

Both are crimes. However, one happens much faster, in private, without having to worry about strategy.
I feel there are some considerations we all might want to think about.

1). She’s already got a financial payout from Hockey Canada.
2). She is filing legal charges (perhaps not correct legal terminology) against the players.
3). She has not, as yet, filed any civil charges that we know of. I.e. Not, at this point, going for any sort of money claim.

Meanwhile she’s going to go through hell and I’m sure is aware that while this plays out over the next many many months she’ll continue to. Ultimately going to have to testify to some pretty gruesome stuff. This is going to rule her life. Considering it’s already been 5 years of unpleasantness for her, why is she doing this?

Because she believes she was badly wronged and wants the people she thinks wronged her to face justice.

For those who bring up false claims, ask yourself — would YOU put yourself through this if you were trying to pull a false claim? I sure as hell wouldn’t.

Maybe she’s right, maybe she’s wrong. But let’s at least give her the benefit of the doubt. The police and legal authorities have enough evidence to feel her claims have enough merit to arrest people.

Again, guilty or not guilty? Who knows. But can we dispense with the false claims avenue for now? At least in this case, few would be gluttons for that much pain. She believes she was wronged. Clearly.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I feel there are some considerations we all might want to think about.

1). She’s already got a financial payout from Hockey Canada.
2). She is filing legal charges (perhaps not correct legal terminology) against the players.
3). She has not, as yet, filed any civil charges that we know of. I.e. Not, at this point, going for any sort of money claim.
1) True.
2) Police file charges, not the victim. That being said LPS said she's co-operating.
3) there's pretty much no chance the HC settlement didn't also include the players.

But yes - it seems highly unlikely the victim has any chance of getting any further money from anyone at this point. She's already received her settlement.

This been proven? Or is that just the assumption right now? Not disagreeing, just a question.

It's a logical assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad