Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's possible that a player for that team may have officially found out that they have been cleared, had a mental breakdown, and had to take a leave of absence. Most of that roster has been under tremendous scrutiny since the allegations came out.

Or perhaps they cooperated with the investigation and everything is now coming to a head.

The public isn't owed anything if the victim does not wish it, and on the off chance that an un-involved player had to take an LoA due to the latest developments, we can wait until official charges are filed.
I mentioned this to a buddy of mine today - maybe one these players who has requested leave cooperated with the negotiation ('flipped' in a sense that they were honest) and now need time to try to decompress and separate themselves from hockey. I'm not saying that this the case for all 4-5 that are on leave. We really don't know anything.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
One thing I would say to support the “no speculation” part: not naming names, I think it’s painfully obvious that 3 or 4 of the players who have taken leaves are related to this, but the other one was stated explicitly for mental health reasons by his team. It’s entirely possible that he took a legitimate leave due to mental health and the timing just absolutely screwed him. Either that or his team just flat out lied, which is pretty damning on the team if that’s the case.

From that point of view, I think the “no naming names” rule is totally legit.

What did I just read
Or he lied to the organization

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Given that when the Corey Perry story broke half the internet was saying he slept with Bedard's mom, I can understand hfboards wanting to be careful to not be accused of being the source of any false allegations.

Twitter has much deeper pockets but a privately run hockey forum seems like low hanging fruit if a player's lawyer is looking for someone to sue to make a point or hope for a settlement.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
One thing I would say to support the “no speculation” part: not naming names, I think it’s painfully obvious that 3 or 4 of the players who have taken leaves are related to this, but the other one was stated explicitly for mental health reasons by his team. It’s entirely possible that he took a legitimate leave due to mental health and the timing just absolutely screwed him. Either that or his team just flat out lied, which is pretty damning on the team if that’s the case.

From that point of view, I think the “no naming names” rule is totally legit.

What did I just read
You just read why we shouldn't have junior hockey tournaments any longer. Clearly, this will happen again so maybe those privileges should be taken away.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Don't worry Hockey Canada will punish the 5 players (whoever they are) by announcing that they are banned from playing in any further IIHF Worl Junior Championships. :sarcasm:

Sure was nice of the London police to wait after until this past year's WJC before releasing this statement, so as not to muddy the waters or anything, y'know?

Can't have any distractions! Maybe Hockey Canada asked them to hold off.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
As others have mentioned, the delay in prosecuting this matter is disturbing. This does not seem to be a complex case, i.e., it is not like somebody had to subpoena documents from a Swiss bank that took five years to accomplish. Rather, it seems to be a bread-and-butter sexual assault case of the varietal routinely and quickly prosecuted in both the U.S. and Canadian courts. Would be interested in knowing exactly what critical evidence prosecutors have now which they believe justifies the charges that they didn't have within six months of the incident.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
As others have mentioned, the delay in prosecuting this matter is disturbing. This does not seem to be a complex case, i.e., it is not like somebody had to subpoena documents from a Swiss bank that took five years to accomplish. Rather, it seems to be a bread-and-butter sexual assault case of the varietal routinely and quickly prosecuted in both the U.S. and Canadian courts. Would be interested in knowing exactly what critical evidence prosecutors have now which they believe justifies the charges that they didn't have within six months of the incident.
Granted this has been an absolute f***fest of a case and the details are lost on me in some ways, but didn't the victim not want to cooperate any further in the matter, and that was why names never came out? Again, just based off my recall but this has been dragging out for a while now.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Do you have receipts for the bolded statistic?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or he lied to the organization

Very unlikely. It’s probably an open secret among NHL teams at this point who was involved and his team said he is under the care of a mental health team.

Could it be a lie? Yeah, but saying that it is definitely a lie is way too far. If we get another name later today from that team, it just shows the other player was taking a legitimate mental health leave.

Reactions: Chainshot

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Given that when the Corey Perry story broke half the internet was saying he slept with Bedard's mom, I can understand hfboards wanting to be careful to not be accused of being the source of any false allegations.

Twitter has much deeper pockets but a privately run hockey forum seems like low hanging fruit if a player's lawyer is looking for someone to sue to make a point or hope for a settlement.
In the US at least, there's a law that protects sites like Twitter and this one from being responsible for other users posts or content. Some Republicans have been trying to rescind it for some time, but it's unlikely to be a thing that gets removed any time soon because there just isn't support for it (for what seems like obvious reasons).

That said, you'd still need an attorney to protect you in these cases and those cost money. Likely a lot in a case like this where the people allegedly involved can afford expensive legal teams.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad