First Round Grades

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sens: C-

Our scouts overreach for size/toughness for 5000th time
He has elite skill 30 goals and 71 points as a D man lead the WHL in goals. Just an absolutely terrible take. Florida shuts down the house all playoffs and protects the front of the net en route to a cup sens draft a guy that can do that and has a bomb from the point with hands and you complain. Who also plays the most valuable position in hockey right now.

Reactions: Taswell

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Seeing a lot of hate for the Flyers draft. I don't know man, I really really liked Luchanko's game at the u18s. He was making such headsy plays all over the ice, despite playing at one of the highest paces of anyone out there. He plays with urgency and savvy, has skill and looks like he's just gaining confidence in his shot.

One of the younger prospects in this draft (still 17 until late August) but tested extremely or almost freakishly well at the combine. How does a 5'11 kid have both the best right hand and left hand grip of all prospects tested, ahead of all the drafts big monsters for each hand? Plus right up there with Emery and the other top athletes for multiple different jumping tests, as well as near the top of agility.

I really see a lot to like there, he's explosive yet crafty, driven and hard on the puck but shows a lot of smarts and underlying skill as well. If it all pans out I see some Brayden Point, Nick Suzuki or maybe a less dynamic but more well rounded Barzal, as his potential comparables at the high end of the possible spectrum. Those are players you are very happy to land outside the top 10.

Reactions: TK 421

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Buium at 12 is nuts.

Sharks getting Celebrini AND Dickinson really helps solidify their prospect pool.

Don't love Philly passing on Buium just because they have young D, but trading 32nd for a future pick that, at worst, will be 32nd and likely better is just smart.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Impossible to grade but my feelings (which will end up wrong)

Eh:
Lindstrom
Levshuvnov
Helenius
Parascak
Letourneau
Boisvert
Backer

Risky but I respect the idea:
Silayev
Sennecke

Great idea:
Eiserman
Buium
Demidov

Not my pick given who was on board but still good:
Catton
Dickinson
Connelly
MBN
Luchanko

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hawks solid B.

Didn't love their draft but definitely didn't hate it either.

Levshunov - A- (I like him far more than alot of Hawks fans. His rapid development the past 3 years jumping 3 gigantic levels is absolutely outstanding)

Boisvert - C (we'll see on him. Going to a great collegiate program in North Dakota and he can throw em. Has the size we desperately need to. Hope his lower half gets stronger in his skating and he can process the game a bit better but the intangibles are all there)

Vanacker - B+ (I love this kid. Played basically the whole season with a torn labrum and led that team while Lardis, ironically another Blackhawks pick and a favorite of mine, was out with injury. Never takes a shift off, has decent size and the skill.)

All 3 guys have that dog in them. All of them have physicality in their games.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Blues B+

Somewhat high risk, high reward. Can't ask for a higher ceiling at 16 but the injury concern is real.

This could go down as one of the steals of the draft (and if Jiricek's health doesn't hinder his development any further, it will) or it could result in a lot of frustration and a player who can't stay in the lineup. All in all, it's a home run swing by a team that usually plays very conservative. That's something to be excited about.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
F- doesn't seem low enough. I give Briere's gormless crew an H-.

FFS, they don't have a #1D prospect. Buium fell to them in a friggin' miracle and Flahr didn't want him. Ok, so they're anti-Semitic, then take Connelly at 13, not Luchanko! (just kidding). Take Helenius or even Eiserman.

Seriously, solve your need for a minute-eating #1. Then at 32, they trade it for a late 20's at best pick in '25 or '26. We don't know the conditions.

I'm used the the Flyers' draft being a whole bunch of lunchbag letdown but this was really stupid.
Hey, take solace in the fact that their horrible pick was announced by Bruce Buffer

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hawks solid B.

Didn't love their draft but definitely didn't hate it either.

Levshunov - A- (I like him far more than alot of Hawks fans. His rapid development the past 3 years jumping 3 gigantic levels is absolutely outstanding)

Boisvert - C (we'll see on him. Going to a great collegiate program in North Dakota and he can throw em. Has the size we desperately need to. Hope his lower half gets stronger in his skating and he can process the game a bit better but the intangibles are all there)

Vanacker - B+ (I love this kid. Played basically the whole season with a torn labrum and led that team while Lardis, ironically another Blackhawks pick and a favorite of mine, was out with injury. Never takes a shift off, has decent size and the skill.)

All 3 guys have that dog in them. All of them have physicality in their games.

I liked both the later firsts, both seem like blue collar kids who may have the skill to play with Bedard.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
There's an excellent chance that Demidov isn't even in the top 5 best players of this draft. It's way too early for people to make statements like you are making.
And in poker you can easily hold pocket Aces pre flop and lose to 2 pairs on the river. The quality of a move taken at the time it was taken is completely independant from the end result.

Noone is guaranteed anything. A bad back injury can easily be the difference between being the goat and having a mediocre career. Aside from watching the games, speculations are usually the most fun part of pro sports.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Minnesota:

A+

Got my 5th ranked player at #12

Buium - Faber until 2040. LFG.
Buium and Dickinson are THE STEALS of the draft.

Demidov at 5 as well.

I had Celebrini at #1, Dickinson at #3.

San Jose is the obvious incredible winner.

ThenvI had Demidov at #2,in a tier of his own. #5 for Montreal is incredible.

Then Buium was my #4 pick. So Minnesota: wow.

WTF Philadelphia was thinking?

Reactions: viceroy and Larry44

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1719672033794.png

Draft breakdown by nation... no Slovaks, Germans, Swiss or Sweden (!!!).

Norway had a heck of a day!

Russia/Belarus with 5 felt a little low to me.

US with 4 and Sweden with 0 is downright shocking to me.

Great draft for Canada!

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
So everyone else was wrong?
Have you applied for a job with central scouting? Or at least with the hockey news?

Yes, the ones gushing about Zayne Parekh are 100% wrong.

Here’s the thing, my friend - - there’s over 200 prospects who get drafted every year. Expecting media shills to be knowledgeable about all of them, or even the top 50, is laughable.

I don’t follow the Q or the W and certainly nothing overseas, so I don’t comment on those players. But I follow the OHL very closely. And not just by watching the television feed, but by going to the games in person. As an Oshawa season ticket holder, I’m absolutely certain that I’m more knowledgeable about Generals players than any media shill is.

So when a clown like Craig Buttons puts out his early draft rankings in the new year and has Beckett Sennecke at the bottom of the first round and has Luca Marrelli ranked ahead of Benny Danford in the late second round, I know his “rankings” are worthless.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Lou gets an A for Eiserman simply because he is very much NOT the type of player I thought Lou would take a chance on, and is 100% the type of player the Isles need and will continue to need until he is ready. He gets an A+ overall for trading back and getting an extra 2nd, and still getting a player the caliber of Eiserman.

erikhamren

DWDWw
May 7, 2021
Sweden
That sounds imp;ossible to me. Had no idea and am shocked. Swedes and Round 1 are definitely a good combo
Well, our 06's have always been seen as a weak age group since their first national team game, to me and probably some other swede posters, we didnt have high expectations for a first round swede pick.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, our 06's have always been seen as a weak age group since their first national team game, to me and probably some other swede posters, we didnt have high expectations for a first round swede pick.
As far as I can tell... 2010 is the last time this happened. I'm really surprised.

Reactions: coooldude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad