First Round Grades

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Minnesota:

A+

Got my 5th ranked player at #12

Buium - Faber until 2040. LFG.

A complete steal at 12.

For me, Demidov was a #2 drafted #5. So he's a legitimate steal.

But Buium was my darling of this draft. I had him #3-5 and he ended up at #12.

A Buium - Faber defensive pair... kinda scary 😬

Minnesota are set in defense for the next 15 years...

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary gets an F - for this debacle.

San Jose gets an A+

Passing on Sam Dickinson to take Zayne Parekh is a catastrophic mistake that will haunt the Flames for years.

Parekh’s game does not translate to the NHL-level. Take a good look at the 20 or 25 highest scoring seasons by a defenceman in OHL history, and hardly any made an impact in the NHL.

Parekh is undersized, soft and mediocre defensively. He loves to jump into the rush, and can get away with it when playing against slow footed 20yr olds and 16yr olds who are hopelessly out of their depth, but that will never fly in the NHL.

Meanwhile, Dickinson is a prototype franchise defenceman - - big, mobile, and just as strong defensively as he is offensively. If you watched the Memorial Cup final, Dickinson put the team on his back and almost singlehandedly overcame a 3-0 deficit in the 3rd period.

Pairing Dickinson with the Celebrini pick is a franchise altering night for San Jose.
that's not true. Players like Karlsson, Hughes, Fox, Makar do this in the NHL

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Lmao what. The Trade is basically a pure win for the Flyers.
In a vacuum, it's fine value to likely get a higher 1st.

Contextualizing it, the Flyers are bereft of high-end skill. They should be rebuilding and preparing for Michkov. The chatter leading up to the draft was the Flyers trying to move up to get an infusion of skill rapidly, whether that meant trading up from 12 or trading up from 32.

The result? They blow by the higher skill player earlier in the round in Buium for what seems to be a floor guy and then punt the second first round selection until 2025. Michkov will likely be through his ELC before that drafted player ever sniffs the NHL - assuming there is someone on the board they like and don't kick the can down the road again.

The frustration is about process (or lack thereof) when it comes to this head office. They don't seem to have a plan and the kind of players they prioritize ("plays the right way") don't move the needle. It feels like when things do go right (Michkov), it's because they luck into it. Everything else seems to be a governance-by-committee where no one really agrees what needs to happen to turn the team around.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
montreal made out like bandits

Attachments

• scrnli_29-06-2024_20-28-50.png
    scrnli_29-06-2024_20-28-50.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 1

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Catton--like just about everybody else, I was rooting for Buium. But we need elite skill in our prospect pool, and Catton provides that in spades, so no complaints from me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad