Proposal: Fire sell Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Chiarot Lekhonen and Toffoli should be traded, Im keeping the others. Lehkonen amd Chiarot for a 1st to a team that needs sandpaper and boost their PK and Toffoli for a 1st to a team that needs a top 9 forward.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Toffoli or Gallagher
We maybe priced out, by your ask.

Gallagher might not have that much value, just due to concerns about his style of play and long term deal. I see no scenario where he's moved with Bergevin at the helm however.

Toffoli is a top goalscoring winger in the league over the last few years on a sweetheart deal. My ask for him from the Leafs would be Sandin+. Which I don't think Leafs fans would want to part with.

Them's the perils of intradivisional trades.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Price: He plays a few games, still looks great, someone will pay a great price for him. I know 99% of HFBoards people won't, but 0% of them are NHL GM's and the hockey world still respects Carey regardless of price tag. Several teams would make big offers to get him if he's available, though the cap hit would likely make adding a third team to the deal necessary just to make space. I'm thinking Price to the Avalanche in the summer when they have the money available, maybe a stash of picks and prospects including Justin Barron, with more if the Habs retain.

"Regardless of price tag" is categorically incompatible with a double digits cap hit. $5M? You make room easy. $8M? You do some shuffling. $10.5M? You're restructuring your team.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Gallagher: Teams still likely value him. I could see Vancouver making a good offer to him to "change the culture" on the Canucks. Habs probably taking Tyler Myers back so Vancouver can fit him.

5 more seasons after this where he is on the wrong side of 30 at 6.5M. Easy pass.

Petry: Terrible season, absolutely horrible, but he's a well respected RD that fits perfect as a second pair guy. Would get major offers and Montreal wouldn't have to take a cap dump back.

Terrible season, 3 more years at 6.25 and will be the wrong side of 35 years when done. Easy pass.

Toffoli: He isn't on fire like last season but he also isn't terrible stat wise. Would get a pretty good offer. No cap dump in return. Easily get a first.

A 25 - 30 range first rounder, for sure, but not much better.

Price: He plays a few games, still looks great, someone will pay a great price for him. I know 99% of HFBoards people won't, but 0% of them are NHL GM's and the hockey world still respects Carey regardless of price tag. Several teams would make big offers to get him if he's available, though the cap hit would likely make adding a third team to the deal necessary just to make space. I'm thinking Price to the Avalanche in the summer when they have the money available, maybe a stash of picks and prospects including Justin Barron, with more if the Habs retain.

Its the length of contract. He was available in the expansion draft, no takers. If Seattle thought there was any chance they could flip him for any kind of haul they would have done it. His value is effectively zero. If this was the last year there is value. It has been 5 years since he has been a good goalie, although that said he has played extremely well in the last two playoffs, but is a team willing to shell out that money for his last 5 years history? I'm thinking doubtful.

Reactions: Deaner

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Price? Everybody knows he'll be LTIRed 2-3 years from now, max.
The guy's washed.

But he can still have spurts of his old self, like we saw in the last 2 playoffs.

If habs take shorter bad contract(s) back, for +/- the same amount of money, he could fetch a 2nd + prospect, maybe a late 1st + an average goalie on an expensive (but short) contract.

Gallagher? Same thing, a bad contract should come back in order to get some future in return.

Petry same.

With Toffoli we should be able to get something interesting without having to take a bad contract back.

Chiarot will be a rental player at the trade deadline. Habs could get a low first or a good (not great) prospect + a 2nd.

Lehkonen same as Chiarot but the return should be something around a 3rd/4rth + ok prospect. Maybe a 2nd since he's the kind of player NHL coaches/GM likes comes the playoffs.

Armia we're stuck with him. I don't understand why MB signed him (for that long and that amount) in the 1st place...
Personally, I would've give Danault his 2 mil more rather than give Armia 3.4 mil/4 years... Now we're stuck with Dvorak who makes 1 mil less than Danault but is way less effective... anyway...

Hoffman. Just signed as a UFA, won't be traded as of now.

Dvorak. Just traded a 1st + a 3rd for him and actually play like shaite. Bad timing to trade him. Rather keep him until he settles his play a bit.

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Trade #1

To Carolina: Anderson

To Montreal: Niedereiter

Hurricanes add a power forward in his prime to their lineup

Habs clear Anderson's long term salary from their payroll. Niedereiter's expiring contract could be attractive to a contender at the deadline, especially with 50% retention

Trade #2

To Columbus: Petry

To Montreal: Boqvist

Blue Jackets upgrade their D

Habs add a young Dman with upside, while shedding Petry's long term contract without taking back any significant salary in return

Trade #3

To Buffalo: Gallagher, Savard, Allen

To Montreal: 2022 7th, Dell

Sabres add a veteran RW to provide leader ship to their young core, a veteran RD to mentor their young D, and a serviceable veteran goalie

Habs rid themselves of the long term contracts of Gallagher and Savard without having to take back any salary

Trade #4

To Philly: Toffoli, Hoffman

To Montreal: Tuomaala, JVR, Lindblom

Flyers upgrade at LW

Habs pick up a speedy winger prospect, while also clearing the 3rd year of Toffoli and Hoffman's contract

Trade #5

To Chicago: Dvorak

To Montreal: 2022 2nd, EDM's 2022 3rd, Johnson

Hawks get a young Chicago native who's just entering his prime, while also clearing Johnson's long term contract

Habs pick up a 2nd and 3rd rd pick in the 2022 draft, while clearing the final season of Dvorak's contract

Trade #6

To Toronto: Drouin (50% retained), Evans

To Montreal: 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, Robertson, Ritchie

Leafs get an upgrade at LW in their top 6, and versatile bottom 6 forward who's a Toronto native

Habs add a 2022 1st, a 2022 2nd, and a LW prospect with upside in Robertson

Trade #7

To Florida: Chiarot

To Montreal: 2023 2nd, Sourdif, Hornqvist

Panthers get an upgrade on D, while clearing Hornqvist's salary off the books for next season

Habs add a speedy C prospect with upside, while Hornqvist could possibly be flipped with 50% retention to a contender at next year's trade deadline

Trade #8

To St. Louis: Edmundson

To Montreal: Bolduc, Scandella

Blues add a top 4 LD

Habs get a skilled prospect from Quebec to add to their long term core, and a Montreal native in Scandella to eat up minutes on their blueline during the rebuilding years

Trade #9

To Edmonton: Lehkonen (50% retained), Kulak

To Montreal: Lavoie, Turris, Ryan

Oilers get an upgrade to their bottom 6, plus a veteran Dman to provide depth to their blueline

Habs pick up a hometown prospect forward with upside

Trade #10

To New York: Armia, Wideman

To Montreal: Kravtsov, Nemeth

Rangers get some size and scoring at RW with Armia, while Wideman gives them some additional depth at RD. Clearing Nemeth out allows Hajek to take over at LD on the bottom pairing

Habs get an offensively gifted forward prospect who could benefit from a change of scenery, plus a veteran Dman in Nemeth to eat up minutes on the blueline during the rebuilding years

Montreal out: Gallagher, Anderson, Drouin, Hoffman, Toffoli, Dvorak, Armia, Lehkonen, Evans, Petry, Chiarot, Savard, Edmundson, Kulak, Wideman, Allen

Outgoing salary: 55.975 million

Montreal in: STL's 2022 1st, TOR's 2022 1st, TOR's 2022 2nd, CHI's 2022 2nd, FLA's 2023 2nd, EDM's 2022 3rd, Bolduc, Robertson, Sourdif, Kravtsov, Lavoie, Tuomaala, Boqvist
JVR, Niedereiter, Hornqvist, Johnson, Lindblom, Ritchie, Turris, Ryan, Scandella, Nemeth, Dell

Incoming salary: 38.37 million (not including prospects)

Approx. 17.6 million cleared from Montreal's cap this season... which could then be used to take on additional cap dumps along with the picks/prospects that come with them

Last edited:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Gallagher: Teams still likely value him. I could see Vancouver making a good offer to him to "change the culture" on the Canucks. Habs probably taking Tyler Myers back so Vancouver can fit him.

Nah, I think we're good. Even if Boeser does get moved we have top-6 RW options (Garland, Hoglander, Podkolzin). I also think Myers has been fine here as he's been surprisingly working well alongside Ekman-Larsson

Ekman-Larsson and Myers have filled the Canucks shutdown gap - Vancouver Is Awesome

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Trade #1

To Carolina: Anderson

To Montreal: Niedereiter

Hurricanes add a power forward in his prime to their lineup

Habs clear Anderson's long term salary from their payroll. Niedereiter's expiring contract could be attractive to a contender at the deadline, especially with 50% retention

Trade #2

To Columbus: Petry

To Montreal: Boqvist

Blue Jackets upgrade their D

Habs add a young Dman with upside, while shedding Petry's long term contract without taking back any significant salary in return

Trade #3

To Buffalo: Gallagher, Savard, Allen

To Montreal: 2022 7th, Dell

Sabres add a veteran RW to provide leader ship to their young core, a veteran RD to mentor their young D, and a serviceable veteran goalie

Habs rid themselves of the long term contracts of Gallagher and Savard without having to take back any salary

Trade #4

To Philly: Toffoli, Hoffman

To Montreal: Tuomaala, JVR, Lindblom

Flyers upgrade at LW

Habs pick up a speedy winger prospect, while also clearing the 3rd year of Toffoli and Hoffman's contract

Trade #5

To Chicago: Dvorak

To Montreal: 2022 2nd, EDM's 2022 3rd, Johnson

Hawks get a young Chicago native who's just entering his prime, while also clearing Johnson's long term contract

Habs pick up a 2nd and 3rd rd pick in the 2022 draft, while clearing the final season of Dvorak's contract

Trade #6

To Toronto: Drouin (50% retained), Evans

To Montreal: 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, Robertson, Ritchie

Leafs get an upgrade at LW in their top 6, and versatile bottom 6 forward who's a Toronto native

Habs add a 2022 1st, a 2022 2nd, and a LW prospect with upside in Robertson

Trade #7

To Florida: Chiarot

To Montreal: 2023 2nd, Sourdif, Hornqvist

Panthers get an upgrade on D, while clearing Hornqvist's salary off the books for next season

Habs add a speedy C prospect with upside, while Hornqvist could possibly be flipped with 50% retention to a contender at next year's trade deadline

Trade #8

To St. Louis: Edmundson

To Montreal: Bolduc, Scandella

Blues add a top 4 LD

Habs get a skilled prospect from Quebec to add to their long term core, and a Montreal native in Scandella to eat up minutes on their blueline during the rebuilding years

Trade #9

Oilers get an upgrade to their bottom 6, plus a veteran Dman to provide depth to their blueline

Trade #10

To New York: Armia, Wideman

To Montreal: Kravtsov, Nemeth

Rangers get some size and scoring at RW with Armia, while Wideman gives them some additional depth at RD. Clearing Nemeth out allows Hajek to take over at LD on the bottom pairing

Habs get an offensively gifted forward prospect who could benefit from a change of scenery, plus a veteran Dman in Nemeth to eat up minutes on the blueline during the rebuilding years

Montreal out: Gallagher, Anderson, Drouin, Hoffman, Toffoli, Dvorak, Armia, Lehkonen, Evans, Petry, Chiarot, Savard, Edmundson, Kulak, Wideman, Allen

Outgoing salary: 55.975 million

Montreal in: STL's 2022 1st, TOR's 2022 1st, TOR's 2022 2nd, CHI's 2022 2nd, FLA's 2023 2nd, EDM's 2022 3rd, Bolduc, Robertson, Sourdif, Kravtsov, Lavoie, Tuomaala, Boqvist
JVR, Niedereiter, Hornqvist, Johnson, Lindblom, Ritchie, Turris, Ryan, Scandella, Nemeth, Dell

Incoming salary: 38.37 million (not including prospects)

Approx. 17.6 million cleared from Montreal's cap this season... which could then be used to take on additional cap dumps along with the picks/prospects that come with them
You really hate Montreal huh.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Haha no thanks from New York. I was told we severely overpaid for Goodrow (false) so why Overpay for another bottom 6 guy in armia. Nemeth is just fine for now and our coach likes him

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Trade #9

I don't value Lehkonen very much. I don't see this as a good trade, more of a lateral move.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't value Lehkonen very much. I don't see this as a good trade, more of a lateral move.

I think the potential benefit from the incoming players is clearly greater to the Oilers than the outgoing ones...

Do fans have high hopes for Lavoie?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Don't think Oilers can offer the 2nd this year (Keith trade) and they are certainly not offering a first for rental.

Odd... most often teams that see themselves as contenders are the ones that trade a 1st for a rental. Happens every deadline. Either you don't think the oilers are real contenders (fair) or you don't think Chiarot will fetch that (historically dubious since players of his type routinely return a 1st).

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Bad contracts? Apart from price and what will become Gallagher I disagree. Chiarot and leks end this year. Armia for under 4 million as a versatile mid six winger in his twenties? Hoffman, toffoli…. 20-30 goal scoring wingers for 4 million and only a couple more years….Dvorak is still on a great contract and solid on the dot. Playing injured on a tire fire team with a new system that seems to work for nobody…. There is plenty of value on that list for winning teams who want to bolster their rosters
I suspect there is almost no market for the contracts of Price, Gallagher, Hoffman and Armia.

pertys value also at a significant low. He’s the guy I most suspect can rehab his presently depressed value.

I think you could trade the rest. Dvorak especially. You’ll get something decent for Chariot too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad