Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The pendulum swung way too far on DD, and its nice to see it redirect but some guys still don't get it.

We have been Damn lucky to have this legend.

You know what you can do with your qualifying remarks.

HHOF | Home

I would try to get Clarke some time with Doughty despite them being 2 RD's .

Just like Kempe and Kopitar with Byfield, incubators can be helpful.

And by the way, so can a therapist.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I got 65th amongst D 5on5 minimum 700 minutes right between Radko Gudas and Tim Liljegren, and all situations he's 35th.

View attachment 892588
I get your point on a per dollar basis for strictly points, but as others have detailed, Doughty is quite proficient on the defensive side. He's sixth in the league in GA/60 5on5 with 1.7. He also plays the toughest assignments.

By the way, Jordan Spence, or Mini-Doughty" as I like to call him, led the team in points/60 5on5, good for 31st in the league. Led the team D in +/- in the playoffs. You can immediately plug him in on the second pairing today. Already the Kings second best all around defenseman, flying completely under the radar.

And these bots want to trade or predict a trade with Spence leaving.

Hate to break the news but Clarke could spend more time in Ontario than people think.

Being on your ass at the same time the puck goes in your net can't be occurring on multiple occasions.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
How can you be in the media capital of the US and have some of the worst marketing in professional sports. If this was Real Madrid the fans would have blown up the management headquarters.
I feel it is because we have an ownership group that is beyond hands off. AEG has so much going on that the Kings barely register a blip on their radar. Mr. Anschutz is to far removed and Beckerman is not a Hockey person , say what you will about Tim Leiweke, but he did care about the Kings and would never have let this gone like it has. That why I wish La had media more like the Canadian teams have, they would be relentless and Aeg would have no choice but to act. Luc only got this job because he played here and was Kings icon, not cuz he was qualified in any way shape or form.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Just following up on this.

I had an exchange with someone at AEG yesterday. He said the moves they've made are about "understanding what it takes to win in the post season."

Kind of a generic response, but this would imply these guys were brought in to help win in the playoffs, not to use them as placeholders like McAuley/Thornton.

I look forward to further installments of pillow talk with the popcorn man.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
A couple of months ago I asked you a genuine question, if you'd want this FO group to return next season (now this upcoming season)

You said "I don't know, depends on what happens in the playoffs".

Well, we all saw what happened in the playoffs.

How do you feel when Luc says "We were right there"?

What is your reaction to when Luc struggled to articulate what he even does within this organization, when asked by a reporter?

Why are you still vehemently defending mediocrity? After witnessing what we all saw this year, wouldn't you be more cautious about defending management this time around? Or perhaps, it wasn't really dependent on what happened in the playoffs, after all.
(Looks at juror # 7)

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
I don't understand letting Arvidsson walk for nothing. Just watch him have a career year on Leon's wing for 82 games next season.
Who's gonna send assets back for a player with major back injuries who was literally hurt at the time and carried a not-insignificant cap hit? Of all the things to clown Blake over that's at the bottom. Trading Roy on the other hand...

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
DRATE.jpg

Doughty was the highest graded defensive player in the league this season.

And when you adjust for games played (50+) he's about 60th in 5v5 P/60 while having extremely difficult deployment.

He did this while playing a stupid amount of minutes (2nd most in the league).

Based on his play last year, he probably deserves to be one of the highest compensated Dmen in the league.

This is elite cherry picking.

But let's go that route.
You answered already why people don't like him.

When paid one of the highest league salary you better be 6th and not 60th, even more so since you already cherry picked and alternated the stats.
As you mentioned, he played 2nd most minutes. This is also not looking good being 60th.

What's also not on the stats sheet is that he is not able do contain opponents top players.
If your #1 defender can't do that, you have a problem.
If he is demanding the salary of someone who can, it's a disaster since you affect the whole team build.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
All these extra defensemen seems sus. You know when Caleb’s agent is negotiating, no way they tell him he’s behind 4 on LD and AHL will be all he can expect. He’s decent and played 3 PO games w Avs.
Even Carter George seems sus at 57, being that the Kings BADLY need top 6 forwards in system and there were a few good ones available at 57. Coupled with the fact they addressed the goalie issue with Portillo acquisition 15 months ago and Slukynsky selection last yr. Portillo has first good AHL season and Slukynsky best King steal since Faber selection.

I'm getting at that when Gms discuss deals, can take months and tweaking. Many never happen, because of a demand back and cannot meet...but, then perhaps you then beef up where you're going to have that loss, of the one you don't want to give up. I would not be shocked if a GM has a piece the Kings want and they want Slukynsky. The Kings don't want to move him, but the Kings work on getting another top goalie prospect, that can replace Slukynsky, inm theory. So, Yannetti finds 2 or 3 he thinks are in Slukynsky's tier and indentify some and when George is available at 57, they take him. I don't care how outlandish it sounds. I think it's outlandish to draft George at 57, knowing you have Portillo and especially Slukynsky. It's eveident that Slukynsky is creme de la creme. And your team could use 2 or 3 more top 6 forwards in the pool.

Teams don't want Arty. Do other GMs want Slukynsky? H yes. I saw Stiga go at around 54-55 and was hoping he would be the Kings pick. There were other top forwards there at 57 and the Kings don't need a goalie of the future. That's the only thing they seem to have some strength at, with Portillo and Slukynsky. And all of these defensemen? Maybe a GM covets Mikey and the Kings want one of their players, so the Kings sign a few extra defensemen, that CAN play in the NHL, ala Bourroughs and Caleb Jones. Are they awesome? No. But if you can get Necas or Ehlers, and you end up giving up Anderson, you can certainly slot in Jones or Burroughs. Or, if Spence is the one moved. So, if Slukynsky is dealt? That blows and the player coming back had better be Necas or Ehlers level....but then at least you have Carter George.

Now maybe the Kings are close to a deal that involves moving a defenseman and they talk with Caleb's agent....the agent is not moved, that the Kings have all these defemsemen ahead of Jones and the Kings tell him they're going to move 1 defensemen soon...and that would help them be willing to sign. Jones is pretty good and was possibly looking for a place he could play in the NHL. I'm sure he doesn't want to play in the AHL. All speculation, but wheels are always turning.

The Kings are not done, Somethings up. I don't think their goal was to have Jeannot, Foegele and Edmundson. The bigger piece involves a creative deal and a player we don't want to see moved.
Arty is not moving the needle. Do you want to replace Anderson with Caleb Jones? No. Do you want to replace Spence with Burroughs? No. Do you want Martin Necas skating with Byfiled the next 7 years? YES. Do you give up Mikey, Spence or Slukynsky for that? Maybe. There's a price to pay for that.

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
All these extra defensemen seems sus. You know when Caleb’s agent is negotiating, no way they tell him he’s behind 4 on LD and AHL will be all he can expect. He’s decent and played 3 PO games w Avs.
Even Carter George seems sus at 57, being that the Kings BADLY need top 6 forwards in system and there were a few good ones available at 57. Coupled with the fact they addressed the goalie issue with Portillo acquisition 15 months ago and Slukynsky selection last yr. Portillo has first good AHL season and Slukynsky best King steal since Faber selection.

I'm getting at that when Gms discuss deals, can take months and tweaking. Many never happen, because of a demand back and cannot meet...but, then perhaps you then beef up where you're going to have that loss, of the one you don't want to give up. I would not be shocked if a GM has a piece the Kings want and they want Slukynsky. The Kings don't want to move him, but the Kings work on getting another top goalie prospect, that can replace Slukynsky, inm theory. So, Yannetti finds 2 or 3 he thinks are in Slukynsky's tier and indentify some and when George is available at 57, they take him. I don't care how outlandish it sounds. I think it's outlandish to draft George at 57, knowing you have Portillo and especially Slukynsky. It's eveident that Slukynsky is creme de la creme. And your team could use 2 or 3 more top 6 forwards in the pool.

Teams don't want Arty. Do other GMs want Slukynsky? H yes. I saw Stiga go at around 54-55 and was hoping he would be the Kings pick. There were other top forwards there at 57 and the Kings don't need a goalie of the future. That's the only thing they seem to have some strength at, with Portillo and Slukynsky. And all of these defensemen? Maybe a GM covets Mikey and the Kings want one of their players, so the Kings sign a few extra defensemen, that CAN play in the NHL, ala Bourroughs and Caleb Jones. Are they awesome? No. But if you can get Necas or Ehlers, and you end up giving up Anderson, you can certainly slot in Jones or Burroughs. Or, if Spence is the one moved. So, if Slukynsky is dealt? That blows and the player coming back had better be Necas or Ehlers level....but then at least you have Carter George.

Now maybe the Kings are close to a deal that involves moving a defenseman and they talk with Caleb's agent....the agent is not moved, that the Kings have all these defemsemen ahead of Jones and the Kings tell him they're going to move 1 defensemen soon...and that would help them be willing to sign. Jones is pretty good and was possibly looking for a place he could play in the NHL. I'm sure he doesn't want to play in the AHL. All speculation, but wheels are always turning.

The Kings are not done, Somethings up. I don't think their goal was to have Jeannot, Foegele and Edmundson. The bigger piece involves a creative deal and a player we don't want to see moved.
Arty is not moving the needle. Do you want to replace Anderson with Caleb Jones? No. Do you want to replace Spence with Burroughs? No. Do you want Martin Necas skating with Byfiled the next 7 years? YES. Do you give up Mikey, Spence or Slukynsky for that? Maybe. There's a price to pay for that.
I think you are probably over thinking the details but if you are correct, then so what? (‘Sus’ feels like a negative). If they’ve taken a prime prospect in the 2nd round with a view to trading them as long as it’s for something that makes sense it’s fine. I’d rather that than letting assets lose value as they have done recently. If all the goalies hit, one of them gets moved on at some point anyway.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
How many LHD do the Kings need?

NHL: Anderson, Gavrikov, Edmundson, Englund, Moverare

AHL: Jones, Krygier, Booth, Dvorak, Hicketts

All contracted RHD: Doughty, Clarke, Spence, Burroughs, Walsh
We have several LHD that will likely get waived at this point. The extra bodies means they are more likely to get guys through waivers. Of course if none of them get claimed it creates a bit of a problem in Ontario. It does also raise the ‘possibility’ that someone gets moved. Given it’s a 2-way contract though it’s also a good opportunity to add some ‘free’ depth to the organisation.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
A couple of months ago I asked you a genuine question, if you'd want this FO group to return next season (now this upcoming season)

You said "I don't know, depends on what happens in the playoffs".

Well, we all saw what happened in the playoffs.

How do you feel when Luc says "We were right there"?

What is your reaction to when Luc struggled to articulate what he even does within this organization, when asked by a reporter?

Why are you still vehemently defending mediocrity? After witnessing what we all saw this year, wouldn't you be more cautious about defending management this time around? Or perhaps, it wasn't really dependent on what happened in the playoffs, after all.

Well you decided to follow up just now, so here we are.

I think Luc is an idiot saying we were right there, to be fair, I think any sports exec is an idiot when they say that, it's condescending BS by anyone who says that, you either won.....or you didn't. During the season, there are definitely winning losses where you were "right there" and you can build off of that, end of the season is the end of the season, no more time to build off anything. EDM isn't going to build off the SCF loss, they are going to have start over like anyone else.

As far as the front office as a whole, I'm fine with them returning, I'm not under the disillusion that front offices are perfect, nor that Rob Blake is some evil genius sent to destroy the Kings. He's made some missteps, no doubt about it, everyone has, he's corrected them as much as he can.

I'm not vehemently defending anything, I'm saying you as a panty clutcher over react to f***ing everything.....and most of you can't handle when being called out on it, so they say omg just ignore....at least you haven't gone there yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Curious,

For all you pearl clutchers who bitch about prospects losing value and not doing anything,

How do you feel about Nashville they just blocked their #11 OA star prospect Goaltender for the next 8 years.......

It's just a King thing though....right?

Reactions: Faterson

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
That’s also dumb

Edit: To add to this, Nashville had a really good, slightly undersized goalie in Tomas Vokoun and they let him go in free agency and replaced him with Pekka Rinne to great success. They seem to think this is their last chance, though, so we’ll see how it works out for them.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If it makes anyone feel better, the Lakers are just as much of a disaster as the Kings if not moreso. Ignorant/apathetic ownership. Old boys club general manager/president. Over reliance on veterans. Nowhere close to a championship despite presenting an attitude of “being right there.”

It doesn't, and for me it just reaffirms that AEG doesn't give two shits since they get to just print money at LA Live/Crypto.com and ride off into the sunset while one legendary franchise and one with recent near-dynasty form both take steaming shits at center court while denying fans any luxury even bottom-tier franchises get.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That’s also dumb

Edit: To add to this, Nashville had a really good, slightly undersized goalie in Tomas Vokoun and they let him go in free agency and replaced him with Pekka Rinne to great success. They seem to think this is their last chance, though, so we’ll see how it works out for them.

Could be that, could be they saw something in Askarov that they didn't like, and weren't sure of, so they when they signed Saros to that deal, they clearly said f*** it, and went all in, brought in anyone they can....

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
How long does dead weight Blake make it?
Thanksgiving? American vs Canadian
Holliday break?
Trade Deadline?
Off-season?
Next year?

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
How long does dead weight Blake make it?
Thanksgiving? American vs Canadian
Holliday break?
Trade Deadline?
Off-season?
Next year?
Blake wont last the year. Just like everyone predicted Todd wouldnt make it through last year.
The thing is both those guys falling on the sword for Luc wont matter much. They need to clean house completely and I dont think that will happen.
Blake has messed up big time but this isnt just his problem.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
If it makes anyone feel better, the Lakers are just as much of a disaster as the Kings if not moreso. Ignorant/apathetic ownership. Old boys club general manager/president. Over reliance on veterans. Nowhere close to a championship despite presenting an attitude of “being right there.”
I tuned out the Lakers a while ago. The Jeanie buss era isn't doing it for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad