Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
How long does dead weight Blake make it?
Thanksgiving? American vs Canadian
Holliday break?
Trade Deadline?
Off-season?
Next year?
Depends how season starts and if it is going bad, how it takes Luc to throw him under bus and bv then install Bergevin. If Blake goes all must go, especially Robitaille and his buddy Bergevin

I tuned out the Lakers a while ago. The Jeanie buss era isn't doing it for me.
Lakers and Kings are two sides of the same coin

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Depends how season starts and if it is going bad, how it takes Luc to throw him under bus and bv then install Bergevin. If Blake goes all must go, especially Robitaille and his buddy Bergevin

Lakers and Kings are two sides of the same coin
Ya.

The way I was raised, you pick your teams as a kid and you are stuck with them for life, regardless of how awful they are.

That said, I don't think I'm wearing a piece of Kings merchandise until this regime has been fully exterminated.

I have never felt this way in the 35 plus years I've followed this team.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Ya.

The way I was raised, you pick your teams as a kid and you are stuck with them for life, regardless of how awful they are.

That said, I don't think I'm wearing a piece of Kings merchandise until this regime has been fully exterminated.

I have never felt this way in the 35 plus years I've followed this team.
Agreed, this group is making it really hard. I will continue to watch team , but I've decided to hold off coming up from San Diego 8 to 10 times a year to watch them live. Alot other things I can spend my money on. If ownership doesn't seem to care about team and looks at $$ only, I might well spend mine somewhere else right now.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Didn't Dave draft Brown?

So you're saying things are already trending up!

Taylor drafted 75% of the core. But that's also why DL had to bring in the real men who would lead the team to a Cup, not that soft ass core. Other than Quick, who was so clearly the future #1 that DL took Bernier with his first pick.

Of course those real men couldn't rally the team in 14-15 to even make the playoffs.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
All these extra defensemen seems sus. You know when Caleb’s agent is negotiating, no way they tell him he’s behind 4 on LD and AHL will be all he can expect. He’s decent and played 3 PO games w Avs.
Even Carter George seems sus at 57, being that the Kings BADLY need top 6 forwards in system and there were a few good ones available at 57. Coupled with the fact they addressed the goalie issue with Portillo acquisition 15 months ago and Slukynsky selection last yr. Portillo has first good AHL season and Slukynsky best King steal since Faber selection.

I'm getting at that when Gms discuss deals, can take months and tweaking. Many never happen, because of a demand back and cannot meet...but, then perhaps you then beef up where you're going to have that loss, of the one you don't want to give up. I would not be shocked if a GM has a piece the Kings want and they want Slukynsky. The Kings don't want to move him, but the Kings work on getting another top goalie prospect, that can replace Slukynsky, inm theory. So, Yannetti finds 2 or 3 he thinks are in Slukynsky's tier and indentify some and when George is available at 57, they take him. I don't care how outlandish it sounds. I think it's outlandish to draft George at 57, knowing you have Portillo and especially Slukynsky. It's eveident that Slukynsky is creme de la creme. And your team could use 2 or 3 more top 6 forwards in the pool.

Teams don't want Arty. Do other GMs want Slukynsky? H yes. I saw Stiga go at around 54-55 and was hoping he would be the Kings pick. There were other top forwards there at 57 and the Kings don't need a goalie of the future. That's the only thing they seem to have some strength at, with Portillo and Slukynsky. And all of these defensemen? Maybe a GM covets Mikey and the Kings want one of their players, so the Kings sign a few extra defensemen, that CAN play in the NHL, ala Bourroughs and Caleb Jones. Are they awesome? No. But if you can get Necas or Ehlers, and you end up giving up Anderson, you can certainly slot in Jones or Burroughs. Or, if Spence is the one moved. So, if Slukynsky is dealt? That blows and the player coming back had better be Necas or Ehlers level....but then at least you have Carter George.

Now maybe the Kings are close to a deal that involves moving a defenseman and they talk with Caleb's agent....the agent is not moved, that the Kings have all these defemsemen ahead of Jones and the Kings tell him they're going to move 1 defensemen soon...and that would help them be willing to sign. Jones is pretty good and was possibly looking for a place he could play in the NHL. I'm sure he doesn't want to play in the AHL. All speculation, but wheels are always turning.

The Kings are not done, Somethings up. I don't think their goal was to have Jeannot, Foegele and Edmundson. The bigger piece involves a creative deal and a player we don't want to see moved.
Arty is not moving the needle. Do you want to replace Anderson with Caleb Jones? No. Do you want to replace Spence with Burroughs? No. Do you want Martin Necas skating with Byfiled the next 7 years? YES. Do you give up Mikey, Spence or Slukynsky for that? Maybe. There's a price to pay for that.
All these extra defensemen seems sus. You know when Caleb’s agent is negotiating, no way they tell him he’s behind 4 on LD and AHL will be all he can expect. He’s decent and played 3 PO games w Avs.
Even Carter George seems sus at 57, being that the Kings BADLY need top 6 forwards in system and there were a few good ones available at 57. Coupled with the fact they addressed the goalie issue with Portillo acquisition 15 months ago and Slukynsky selection last yr. Portillo has first good AHL season and Slukynsky best King steal since Faber selection.

I'm getting at that when Gms discuss deals, can take months and tweaking. Many never happen, because of a demand back and cannot meet...but, then perhaps you then beef up where you're going to have that loss, of the one you don't want to give up. I would not be shocked if a GM has a piece the Kings want and they want Slukynsky. The Kings don't want to move him, but the Kings work on getting another top goalie prospect, that can replace Slukynsky, inm theory. So, Yannetti finds 2 or 3 he thinks are in Slukynsky's tier and indentify some and when George is available at 57, they take him. I don't care how outlandish it sounds. I think it's outlandish to draft George at 57, knowing you have Portillo and especially Slukynsky. It's eveident that Slukynsky is creme de la creme. And your team could use 2 or 3 more top 6 forwards in the pool.

Teams don't want Arty. Do other GMs want Slukynsky? H yes. I saw Stiga go at around 54-55 and was hoping he would be the Kings pick. There were other top forwards there at 57 and the Kings don't need a goalie of the future. That's the only thing they seem to have some strength at, with Portillo and Slukynsky. And all of these defensemen? Maybe a GM covets Mikey and the Kings want one of their players, so the Kings sign a few extra defensemen, that CAN play in the NHL, ala Bourroughs and Caleb Jones. Are they awesome? No. But if you can get Necas or Ehlers, and you end up giving up Anderson, you can certainly slot in Jones or Burroughs. Or, if Spence is the one moved. So, if Slukynsky is dealt? That blows and the player coming back had better be Necas or Ehlers level....but then at least you have Carter George.

Now maybe the Kings are close to a deal that involves moving a defenseman and they talk with Caleb's agent....the agent is not moved, that the Kings have all these defemsemen ahead of Jones and the Kings tell him they're going to move 1 defensemen soon...and that would help them be willing to sign. Jones is pretty good and was possibly looking for a place he could play in the NHL. I'm sure he doesn't want to play in the AHL. All speculation, but wheels are always turning.

The Kings are not done, Somethings up. I don't think their goal was to have Jeannot, Foegele and Edmundson. The bigger piece involves a creative deal and a player we don't want to see moved.
Arty is not moving the needle. Do you want to replace Anderson with Caleb Jones? No. Do you want to replace Spence with Burroughs? No. Do you want Martin Necas skating with Byfiled the next 7 years? YES. Do you give up Mikey, Spence or Slukynsky for that? Maybe. There's a price to pay for that.
Necas would be a huge get but he will cost big assets and command a big cap hit. I’m all for it, I love his game and would sign off with Mikey & Slukynsky as the principle assets in that deal. But it does seem like something is brewing.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Curious,

For all you pearl clutchers who bitch about prospects losing value and not doing anything,

How do you feel about Nashville they just blocked their #11 OA star prospect Goaltender for the next 8 years.......

It's just a King thing though....right?
I will feel better when we trade Gavrikov and Kaliyev for him. Ya I know, it’s not gonna happen.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Nashville looking for top 10 talent, they'd want Clarke swap
We have traded every other right shot Dman in the organization. I think Blake is wanting to suit up and get back on the ice. He fits his favorite mold, big, old, can’t skate. Clarke better pack his bags. Other then he would be traded for Carey Price not Askarov.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Makes me think that Gavrikov is getting traded

makes me think Gavrikov is getting traded. Has value, plays left side, only one year left on his contract. No way Gavrikov will resign here unless the Kings are contenders.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
How long does dead weight Blake make it?
Thanksgiving? American vs Canadian
Holliday break?
Trade Deadline?
Off-season?
Next year?
He’ll make it into next season. The team will make the playoffs and lose in 6 games in the first round. It’ll be spun as progress on the previous season. The only question is how long Blake’s extension will be.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Curious,

For all you pearl clutchers who bitch about prospects losing value and not doing anything,

How do you feel about Nashville they just blocked their #11 OA star prospect Goaltender for the next 8 years.......

It's just a King thing though....right?
Wouldn’t that be in the around the league thread? We have so many f***ed up personnel issues we have enough to bitch about without going into different time zones. Not too mention their moves were for players with cup experience in spades.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

makes me think Gavrikov is getting traded. Has value, plays left side, only one year left on his contract. No way Gavrikov will resign here unless the Kings are contenders.
The Kings will be fully entrenched in the black hole obviously unable to make it out of the first round. Bluc will dig in their heels and say we’re right there and NOT move him at the deadline. Roy all over again.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Florida's D
Forsling/Goon
OEL/Goon
Montour/Goon

So if you were going to copy that as the King's GM, what's the lineup?

Blake probably looked at both Nikola & OEL at some point in the last few years.

King's have a lot of D right now.

Blake is probably done. He could make some hilarious moves though.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
He’ll make it into next season. The team will make the playoffs and lose in 6 games in the first round. It’ll be spun as progress on the previous season. The only question is how long Blake’s extension will be.

Big call Blake extended after summer expiry.

Of course they could do what they did with TMac and extend and not announce it until the team is on a major win streak

Blake may even be quick to replace JiHi now that Tmac got on the Bus and they don't have pay him, busriders!

Making playoffs is not even close to guaranteed with youth trying to earn a spot.

If that fails Blake will start making more trades, regardless he would likely be patching holes before the deadline anyway.

Last edited:

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Does anyone think the Kings check in with Columbus about Krill Marchenko, he's a right handed shot and thought I read he may not be opposed to moving on. Would a deal around Kaliyev and Fagemo work?

Does anyone think the Kings check in with Columbus about Krill Marchenko, he's a right handed shot and thought I read he may not be opposed to moving on. Would a deal around Kaliyev and Fagemo work?
Or straight up swat for Trevor Moore?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Kings are trying to win NOW.

They're not gonna trade Gavrikov, just like they didn't trade Roy.

The only scenario where he gets traded is if the Kings are for sure going to miss the playoffs.

He's more likely to get extended than traded IMO.

Reactions: tigermask48

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Maybe one of the reasons Blake acquired defense is to pressure Spence to take a reasonable contract , and be ready if he decides to sit?

A little underwhelmed by Gav's offense but he was with Roy.

Be interesting to see what him and Spence can do.

That could determine whether he is extended.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Kings are trying to win NOW.

They're not gonna trade Gavrikov, just like they didn't trade Roy.

The only scenario where he gets traded is if the Kings are for sure going to miss the playoffs.

He's more likely to get extended than traded IMO.
Why would Gavrikov re-sign in LA? In a year he can go to a team of his choosing that can make the playoffs & get out of the first round. There have to be better options for him.

For funzies!
Edmundson/Doughty
Borroughs/Spence
Englund/Clarke

Do it Bleak!!!!

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
I think you are probably over thinking the details but if you are correct, then so what? (‘Sus’ feels like a negative). If they’ve taken a prime prospect in the 2nd round with a view to trading them as long as it’s for something that makes sense it’s fine. I’d rather that than letting assets lose value as they have done recently. If all the goalies hit, one of them gets moved on at some point anyway.
Didn't mean to make that a negative connotation.

I'm honestly a bit baffled by the G Carter George choice at 57. Not to question Carter George the exemplary youung man and level of quality goalie....but I would be 50% best forward available, 50% best defenseman available at 57. 0 chance goalie. Because the Kings have Portillo and Slukynsky and they both had great seasons.

The forwards in the system: Greentree. Just selected and then forwards 21 or under in the system:
Pinelli, Ziemmer, Conmy, Wright, Connors, Hughes, Lawrence. Maybe with some luck, 1 top 6 out of this group, besides Greentree.
Defenemen in the system, under 21 not named Clarke...Dvorak, Mania, Booth, Sparkes.
Zero legit top 4 talents. Mania has skills and maybe he becomes one.

Given the above, are you taking a goalie at 57? I'm not. I think Yannetti said they saw 1 goalie on their list taken before George and they wanted him...and were nervous when it was getting close to 57...but there were 2 others (going from memory of over 3 Yannnetti interviews) in the tier where George was. I could be mistaken. But it seems there were a few skaters in the same tier. F? D?
He didn't say. If there are a few in your tier, they take the goalie? I feel 100% better about Slukynsky, Portillo, than I do about the forward or defensemen group. No doubt they probably loved a forward or defensemen there, at 57.

It may be over thinking. But I'm sure many in the upper echelon are consulted, when Blake is talking deals and GMs are not calling about Kaliyev, Booth or even a Helnius, etc. They are probably hoping the Kings esteem Portillo and they may be able to get Slukynsky. If that's even true, it may lead Blake to consult the goalie coaches and Yannetti and runs it by them that teams are calling about Slukynsky. They would probably tell him to not deal him. Maybe they brainstorm and say if a Necas could be a King, if they would move Slukynsky, they then pivot and say, there's a few goalies in the 2024 draft that may be as good as Hammer...and why not try to get one of them and then see about future deals, where they could move him. What else makes sense? Let's get 3 future NHL goalies and have a very lean crop of top end forwards and defensemen,

I'm sure many here have heard the DL interview when he was talking about the early days and building the team...he said "man, you should have heard the calls I got for Visnovsky...holy smokes!" Meaning several GMs coveted Vis and he was getting offers. He ended up moving him for Greene and Stoll. His first big move, I think. GMs see that Blake dealt Faber and they are probably thinking....let's get one of their best in their system...Blake has no issue moving them.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Signing a guy to a league minimum 2-way contract means Gavrikov is being traded? You guys are crazy.
Not sold on Gavrikov wanting to re-sign. Not that management wouldn't want to bring him back. The outlook of the team isn't great & I wouldn't trust the King's aren't in a full rebuild in a couple of years.

If Gavrikov isn't going to be here long term, ask where he wants to play & move him there. Probably before the year so you don't get stuck letting him walk like Roy, Arvidsson, Lizotte.

Edit: There is also the question that "born again hard" Blake thinks the top pair of Mikey & Doughty is too soft & moves one of them. :laugh:

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I'm honestly a bit baffled by the G Carter George choice at 57. Not to question Carter George the exemplary youung man and level of quality goalie....but I would be 50% best forward available, 50% best defenseman available at 57. 0 chance goalie. Because the Kings have Portillo and Slukynsky and they both had great seasons.

The forwards in the system: Greentree. Just selected and then forwards 21 or under in the system:
Pinelli, Ziemmer, Conmy, Wright, Connors, Hughes, Lawrence. Maybe with some luck, 1 top 6 out of this group, besides Greentree.
Defenemen in the system, under 21 not named Clarke...Dvorak, Mania, Booth, Sparkes.

Given the above, are you taking a goalie at 57? I'm not. I think Yannetti said they saw 1 goalie on their list taken before George and they wanted him...and were nervous when it was getting close to 57...but there were 2 others (going from memory of over 3 Yannnetti interviews) in the tier where George was. I could be mistaken. But it seems there were a few skaters in the same tier. F? D?
He didn't say. If there are a few in your tier, they take the goalie? I feel 100% better about Slukynsky, Portillo, than I do about the forward or defensemen group. No doubt they probably loved a forward or defensemen there, at 57.

It may be over thinking. But I'm sure many in the upper echelon are consulted, when Blake is talking deals and GMs are not calling about Kaliyev, Booth or even a Helnius, etc. They are probably hoping the Kings esteem Portillo and they may be able to get Slukynsky. If that's even true, it may lead Blake to consult the goalie coaches and Yannetti and runs it by them that teams are calling about Slukynsky. They would probably tell him to not deal him. Maybe they brainstorm and say if a Necas could be a King, if they would move Slukynsky, they then pivot and say, there's a few goalies in the 2024 draft that may be as good as Hammer...and why not try to get one of them and then see about future deals, where they could move him. What else makes sense? Let's get 3 future NHL goalies and have a very lean crop of top end forwards and defensemen,

I'm sure many here have heard the DL interview when he was talking about the early days and building the team...he said "man, you should have heard the calls I got for Visnovsky...holy smokes!" Meaning several GMs coveted Vis and he was getting offers. He ended up moving him for Greene and Stoll. His first big move, I think. GMs see that Blake dealt Faber and they are probably thinking....let's get one of their best in their system...Blake has no issue moving them.

I've come to really like George as a prospect and i know they're saying he was their guy, but I'm holding to my opinion the day of which was there was a run on guys they liked leading up to that pick and George was their fallback. They really did get snaked on some major talent in the 8-10 picks before theirs.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Not sold on Gavrikov wanting to re-sign. Not that management wouldn't want to bring him back. The outlook of the team isn't great & I wouldn't trust the King's aren't in a full rebuild in a couple of years.

If Gavrikov isn't going to be here long term, ask where he wants to play & move him there. Probably before the year so you don't get stuck letting him walk like Roy, Arvidsson, Lizotte.

Edit: There is also the question that "born again hard" Blake thinks the top pair of Mikey & Doughty is too soft & moves one of them. :laugh:

Right or wrong, the Kings believe they're going to at least be a playoff team. They're not trading Gavrikov before the season because he's a UFA in 12 months. If they're 12th in the West and 11pts out or whatever by the deadline, they'll deal him for picks. If they're in a spot, contender or not, they're not dealing him. That's not just a Blake thing. That's not just a Kings thing. Nobody does that. If that means he chooses to walk after that, he walks.

If you're planning to suck during a season, sure. Go to the vet, say we're no longer doing this, so where do you want to go? The Kings might suck next year, but that's not the intention.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Gotcha.

If Yannetti followed his strict criteria he’d have had George in a certain tier and if he was the only player left in that tier he’s BPA and taken. I don’t actually think that was the case, so he was selected on additional criteria… I think. I don’t mind us having such a strong goalie pipeline because a lot of goalies that are expected to be NHL player fall short. I think it has bitten us in the recent past and they want to be sure it doesn’t happen again. They have probably factored in the college guys going pro later than CHL players in the prospect age distribution. So it will probably filter through ok…. If that makes any sense. So I’m not sure they are looking to move anyone, but couldn’t rule it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad