Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No I just want a more nuanced discussion about DD pros and cons. What are his strengths what are his weaknesses. Is his contract fair value or not.. objectively..

This board can't handle nuance, that's been proven for years and years.

He had a really really good year last year, define fair value, when he signed in 2019, was he not one of the top defenseman in the game? Of course he was, should he not get paid for that, of course he should.....you talk nuance, but you also have to put context in there.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
This board can't handle nuance, that's been proven for years and years.

He had a really really good year last year, define fair value, when he signed in 2019, was he not one of the top defenseman in the game? Of course he was, should he not get paid for that, of course he should.....you talk nuance, but you also have to put context in there.
Im just trying to figure out what DD is today - what his game is.. his strengths and weaknesses. Regarding the salary - at the time of the signing def one of the best D in the league.. so maybe its just one of those contracts that doesnt age well like Browns.. which was def overpayment for taking a lesser deal before that as I recall.
Lets put it this way - where do you rank DD overall based on his game as it is today... if you dont want to make a list.. give me a guy who is on par with DD.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
DD pts/60 5x5 is 144th amongst D (min 700 minutes). All situations he's 40th. I think he's paid 5th highest in the league.. so value-wise DD contract is very sub par. Compare to someone like Makar. Source: moneypuck
I got 65th amongst D 5on5 minimum 700 minutes right between Radko Gudas and Tim Liljegren, and all situations he's 35th.

1720200214973.png

I get your point on a per dollar basis for strictly points, but as others have detailed, Doughty is quite proficient on the defensive side. He's sixth in the league in GA/60 5on5 with 1.7. He also plays the toughest assignments.

By the way, Jordan Spence, or Mini-Doughty" as I like to call him, led the team in points/60 5on5, good for 31st in the league. Led the team D in +/- in the playoffs. You can immediately plug him in on the second pairing today. Already the Kings second best all around defenseman, flying completely under the radar.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I got 65th amongst D 5on5 minimum 700 minutes right between Radko Gudas and Tim Liljegren, and all situations he's 35th.

View attachment 892588
I get your point on a per dollar basis for strictly points, but as others have detailed, Doughty is quite proficient on the defensive side. He's sixth in the league in GA/60 5on5 with 1.7. He also plays the toughest assignments.
I mustve made a mistake with the 5x5 pts/60 sort... 65 is still bad for a top D (McNabb even ahead of him).. but I agree re DD overall is still one of the better D in the league.. it shows up in stats. But because his game is not at all exciting or fun, I think its hard for the eye test to appreciate it.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I mustve made a mistake with the 5x5 pts/60 sort... 65 is still bad for a top D (McNabb even ahead of him).. but I agree re DD overall is still one of the better D in the league.. it shows up in stats. But because his game is not at all exciting or fun, I think its hard for the eye test to appreciate it.
With the cap where it is, Doughty is not the Kings problem. He's still a first-pairing defenseman doing first-pairing defenseman things, and being paid as a first-pairing defenseman. He has value on both sides of the ice.

Where he makes his living points-wise is on the power play. He finished 29th in the league amongst defensemen with at least 82 minutes on the power play in points/60 and 6th in goals/60.

He also finished 2nd in the league amongst defensemen with at least 82 minutes on the penalty kill in GA/60, making him one of the league's penalty killers.

Could he be better? Yes. He is frustratingly slow to attack once he and Anderson get the puck. He takes too long playing catch on the power play. But those are minor quibbles. He's the Kings leader amongst defensemen and plays an outstanding all-around game. He continues to provide decent value at 25 minutes per game, despite getting long in the tooth.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Doughty tied for second highest AAV among defense. -CapFriendly

PP, he has no offensive vision. Gets stuck passing back & forth with Kopitar. Good D on the PP can use movement to adjust where the defense is to get a shot or pass through. Doughty can't do this. He has all the physical abilities to do it, he lacks the vision. Instead he likes firing pucks off shin pads. If Doughty is your PP1 D you are handicapping the team. Also looks like Doughty finally had to practice his shot after the hand injury & occasionally hits the net with slappers now at 33?

Transition on D, he's fine in transition when he isn't aimlessly skating behind the other teams net & left one of the forwards playing defense. If he could actually set up a pass or get a good shot I'd feel differently about taking a chance. Again, Doughty has all the physical skills to be able to set up great chances, he just doesn't see it.

Defense, he's fine when actually defending & not making rookie mistakes like backhand passes across the middle of the D zone for assists for the other team in the playoffs. Sweet tape to tape backhand sauce pass though.

Breakout, Doughty stands still, waits for the forwards to run out of room & stop before dishing the puck to Mikey & relying on Mikey to get the puck up ice. 2nd highest paid D deferring to Mikey?

"I guarantee we're the better team at the end of the year" Guy just can't stop yapping. I'm all for yapping, but you need to back it up at some point.

Points: E. Karlsson generates offense. He creates opportunities & racks up points for it. Is Doughty out creating scoring chances for the forwards or is he just out half the game & most of every PP soaking up points by just being on the ice when a puck goes in?

Just like Vilardi, I'm over it at this point. Pack your bags & go be the big man in Toronto or NYR. Hasn't led this team to anything in the last decade.

Reactions: BaileyFan

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Doughty part 2
Doesn't matter anymore. Short of Byfield & Clarke playing like a 1C &D this year it's going to be obvious that this team needs a rebuild. That means moving out short term UFA contracts 2-3 years in length. Oh well.

Also need to get the GM gone before the trade deadline & need a new GM to start working on next year's draft so King's have a GM for the draft.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Part of looking at his contract at the time is that the cap growth projections changed massively because of the pandemic. It has meant that his cap hit is a higher % than it otherwise would be plus the static cap suppressed to some degree (an amount would be a random guess).

The biggest issue with DD is icetime. Last season he started with far more jump in his game than he finished with. The same goes for the year he had the knee injury… he started brilliantly. Both those spells he was in the conversation of getting Norris votes. They need to get to Clarke usurping his pp time and getting his 5/5 time reduced. He needs to PK still.

Last year his offensive game started strong, he was skating the puck pretty well during that early run. The problem was despite the team playing well they were still overusing him (& Kopi). Check out the early games, he looks lighter on his feet and moves with ease. Later on it you can see the fatigue. He definitely improved his shot last season also. Yes his contract hasn’t aged well, in part for the reasons listed above but he still plays at an Elite level, particularly early in the season until the grind takes effect.

Reactions: lumbergh and funky

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
FWIW I'm willing to give these new signings a fair shake, depending on how everyone (especially the youth) is uses. For all intents and purposes, Scott Thornton, Alyn McAuley, etc would have done nothing to help the team win now. If they're going to give the youth more opportunity and time, and using these guys as buoys, cool.
Just following up on this.

I had an exchange with someone at AEG yesterday. He said the moves they've made are about "understanding what it takes to win in the post season."

Kind of a generic response, but this would imply these guys were brought in to help win in the playoffs, not to use them as placeholders like McAuley/Thornton.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I had an exchange with someone at AEG yesterday. He said the moves they've made are about "understanding what it takes to win in the post season."

Kind of a generic response, but this would imply these guys were brought in to help win in the playoffs, not to use them as placeholders like McAuley/Thornton.
I understand and figured as much. Which, again, is why I'm critical of the org 😀

Reactions: johnjm22

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

From “We need to end this rebuild because we have guys that are proven winners and our lack of high end young talent will be offset by those guys who know what it takes to win in the postseason” to “we need to learn how to win in the postseason”.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kopitar isn’t here for a retool.
Blake thought the biggest problem was a lack of snot.
Hiller is tickled pink to be along for the ride.
Luc (still) thinks we’re right there.

Talk about a mishmash of expectations. These fools keep releasing public comments that cements their legacies as hacks who ruined a once proud franchise.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Probably should have chosen three players who have had more success over the past three years in the playoffs than Foegele, Edmundsen, and Jeannot:
Playoffs 22-24
Warren Foegele, EDM: 15 GF, 29 GA, GF% 34% 5on5, 5 goals, 7 assists in all sits in 47 games
Joel Edmundson: TOR: 3 GF, 4 GA, GF 43% 5on5, 1 assist in all situations in 7 games
Tanner Jeannot: NSH/TB: 4 GF, 10 GA, GF 29% 5 on5, 2 assists in all situations in 11 games

Reilly Smith, Jonathan Marchessault, Vladimir Tarasenko, Chris Tanev were all players signed for mid-level contracts with much better pedigrees in the playoffs. Foegele, Jeannot, and Edmundson are chumps who struggled under the bright lights of the postseason.

How many #6/7 defensemen can the Kings have?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kopitar isn’t here for a retool.
Blake thought the biggest problem was a lack of snot.
Hiller is tickled pink to be along for the ride.
Luc (still) thinks we’re right there.

Talk about a mishmash of expectations. These fools keep releasing public comments that cements their legacies as hacks who ruined a once proud franchise.
I asked what the direction of the team was since we're not contending, and we're not rebuilding. I was told:

"We need to do a better job in communicating what we’re doing with our roster and why we are doing it"

and

"I would ask you for a little more time and patience as we work to communicate better with the media and our fans specifically about our plans for the team for the upcoming season and beyond."

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad