HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
Did we ever figure out what a lottery protected pick really is? The wording does seem to be fairly vague. Maybe like junyab says we should just expect a first rounder and leave it at that. (although it would be nice to cheer for both Calgary &/or Florida to lose) :highclap:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hopefully, Wolf puts on a clinic for the Flames or the Panthers regress hard after no Montour/OEL, Reinhart reverting back to being a 30 goalscorer, and 2 back to back finals appearances playing a hard style of hockey. Imagine If we draft a Silayev/Dickinson/Buium type prospect with that pick for taking on Monahan lol (and also Hage).

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Ive shared plenty of pictures showing the conditions attached to first rd picks in other trades and all of these are clearly indicated as top 10 protected, top 5 protected, etc. It would make no sense for the pick to be specified as lottery protected (which logically means top 16) even thought it is top 10 protect.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ive shared plenty of pictures showing the conditions attached to first rd picks in other trades and all of these are clearly indicated as top 10 protected, top 5 protected, etc. It would make no sense for the pick to be specified as lottery protected (which logically means top 16) even thought it is top 10 protect.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They most likely just took for granted that it was top 10 protect as most first picks are. But it clearly is top 16 protect as lottery protect wouldnt make sense in order to say top 10.

I can't find anything that officially says it is lottery protected vs top ten protected. I did see one thing that said if it was a lottery pick (1st or 2nd overall) but that was Montreal Hockey Now and not the most reliable source.

Considering PuckPedia was running off of that Capfriendly was and the hockey news is generally reliable, it does not appear that it is top 16 protected nor does it being top 16 protected make sense due to the way the other conditions are worded in the trade.

Reactions: LynnLoins

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
I can't find anything that officially says it is lottery protected vs top ten protected. I did see one thing that said if it was a lottery pick (1st or 2nd overall) but that was Montreal Hockey Now and not the most reliable source.

Considering PuckPedia was running off of that Capfriendly was and the hockey news is generally reliable, it does not appear that it is top 16 protected nor does it being top 16 protected make sense due to the way the other conditions are worded in the trade.
Capfriendly had it as lottery protected. And I dont see why it would be weird for a team to put protection on their pick on the basis of them making the playoffs or not (instead of just bottom 10). Some other trades include top 5 protected picks, so it isnt just top 10 either

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Capfriendly had it as lottery protected. And I dont see why it would be weird for a team to put protection on their pick on the basis of them making the playoffs or not (instead of just bottom 10). Some other trades include top 5 protected picks, so it isnt just top 10 either

This is from the athletic piece on the trade

Screenshot_20240712_060032_Chrome.jpg

Its top ten protected.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
The trade happened 2 years ago and during all this time it was top10 protected but I guess you know best.
And these are screenshots from CF which is the best source of hockey related info (you can clearly see lottery protect as opposed to top 10/5 protect for other trades.

Attachments

• IMG_6643.jpeg
    IMG_6643.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6579.jpeg
    IMG_6579.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6580.jpeg
    IMG_6580.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6581.jpeg
    IMG_6581.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6582.jpeg
    IMG_6582.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 2

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
And these are screenshots from CF which is the best source of hockey related info (you can clearly see lottery protect as opposed to top 10/5 protect for other trades.
Let's see the exact verbiage for the CGY-Habs trade from CapFriendly, because none of those screenshot talk about that.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Let's see the exact verbiage for the CGY-Habs trade from CapFriendly, because none of those screenshot talk about that.
What matters is whether the fla pick transfers to CGY (and that pick was part of the tkachuk trade which shows lottery protect.

Attachments

• IMG_6645.jpeg
    IMG_6645.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 2

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
What matters is whether the fla pick transfers to CGY (and that pick was part of the tkachuk trade which shows lottery protect.
If CGY finishes 11th, the Habs are picking 11th, no matter if the FLA pick transfers or not.

Reactions: LaP

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
If CGY finishes 11th, the Habs are picking 11th.
Yes, but if FLA finishes 17th, they get to keep their pick and transfer their 26 first to CGY instead, which would mean CGY would have to give their 25 top 1 protected pick to MTL.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah but capfiendly also said that to be a 2026 pick both Florida's pick and Calgary's pick had to be top 10 which would indicate that the Florida's pick has to be able to win the lotteryd i.e. it nees to be able to win the 1st overall. If it was just making the playoffs then it would just says that lottery protected is used probably in case the lottery changes before the pick is awarded.

I did some research a while ago about what lottery protected meant and there was no clear consensus about the subject. Many trusted sources were disagreeing about what it means.

For what it's worth here's what Copilot says "A lottery-protected pick in the NHL refers to a draft pick that is safeguarded based on its position in the draft order. Specifically, if a team’s pick falls within the top 10 selections, it remains with the original team and does not transfer.".

This is what google AI says : "So a lottery-protected pick is basically saying “if the draft pick included in the trade is high enough to be a lottery candidate for #1 overall, that pick is removed from the trade and replaced with a pick in a future season.”.

Both Copilot and Google IA seems to indicate it would be top 10 protected.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad