Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Agreed, but the problem is that is what we were all saying last season and AEG didn't hold them accountable. Even worse, they ignored the fanbase and gave BLuc free reign to continue doing whatever. I honestly cannot believe how far off the rails they've allowed them to go.
The Kings made the playoffs. So from AEG's perspective I can understand it.

We have to hope this whole thing turns into a disaster and they miss the playoffs. Then there's a pretty good chance changes get made.

If Blake were to come out and state that the intention of this upcoming season is to give Turcotte, Kaliyev, Fagemo and Thomas every opportunity to make the roster and the recent acquisitions were made to ease in their transition, I would be on board with overspending on bridge toughness as part of the developmental plan. It really does help with the kids. Even Foegle's deal is a prototypical bridge contract.

But I just can't give him credit for assuming that is the case.
When your GM's moves are so terrible you can't tell if he's trying to win now or rebuild.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
The only reason Edmundson signed here was because he missed out on becoming a Bruin with the Zadorov signing and no other team was dumb enough to give him the money we gave him.

And the only reason Foegele signed here was because he was a Kobe Bryant fan.

Capture_d_e_cran_le_2024_06_16_a_18.png

• Haha
Reactions: theMajor

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I said earlier the only way this makes sense is if Gavrikov is waving his NTC and being shipped out.

Kaliyev is hanging in the wind.

We have no goal scorers.

There has to be more coming
I think the only thing that’s coming is Luc’s post-free-agent-frenzy press conference in which he will repeat his “we’re a contender” BS and spin it into something like Edmundson=Mitchell, Jeannot=King, Foegele=Pearson, so they’re just following their proven championship “formula” and also they’re a family.

Reactions: funky

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think the only thing that’s coming is Luc’s post-free-agent-frenzy press conference in which he will repeat his “we’re a contender” BS and spin it into something like Edmundson=Mitchell, Jeannot=King, Foegele=Pearson, so they’re just following their proven championship “formula” and also they’re a family.
Just need Santa Claus to show up and it’s a true Xmas miracle.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Edmundson=Rob Scuderi

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Rough to live through this, especially when bemoaning for years now the handling of prospects as their stock falls to penny status and watching the slow-motion car wreck that was the handling of the RHD surplus.

We are also in a position to lose Gavrikov for nothing after he walks as a UFA at the end of this season, a guy that they had to move all kinds of assets for so they could fit him into a two-year "win-now" window. Full NMC too. If they are close to a playoff spot, he'll be next year's Matt Roy.

Rob Blake is a giant shit stain on this organization. It is crazy that a guy who has poisoned the chances of this franchise winning games since he was traded in 2001 is in the position he is in.

Nobody has ever cucked a professional sports organization and its fans like this guy.
Not to get all conspiratorial but is Blake just trying to f*** this franchise for a 2nd time, just as a GM? Like does he have such resentment from 2001 and jealousy from the 2 Cups (done completely without him) that he was thinking, "I'll knock this franchise down a peg or 3." I'm really starting to wonder. Chances are he's just f***ing clueless, plus the fact that there's a 3 headed beast GM that needs to be slain already.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
I can see management penciling in 40 goals from Foegele and Jeannnot and when asked at a presser when asked "where will the goals come from?"
"We see Foegele as just getting to his potential and see him capable of 25 to 30 goals, given more icetime and powerplay time....our models and analytics show this...and we feel that Jeannot can get back his rookie mojo as well...and believe he can be a 20 goal scorer for us"

That said. Expect another questionable to bad to WTAF? move. Today was just to "get uncomfortable...from me, (Rob) to the coaches, to the players and the fans"

Incoming: Kaliyev + Spence + #1 2025 for Necas
or worse. (the uncomfortable) Kaliyev + Spence for Laine (50% retained)

The presser goes like this "We are really exited to bring in an NHL elite power forward
in Patrick Laine. He's been a top goal scorer in this league and we feel he's healthy and
focused and expect him to get back to his 40 goal level"
Q: "What about the NHL players assistance program? Has he been cleared and
out of the program?"
A: "What? We are unaware of that....next question"

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Which of the following is next:

deal for Pinto
deal for Necas
deal for Laine
deal for Ehlers
Tarasenko signing
Kaliyev dealt
Spence dealt
Moore dealt? they are going to bigger lineup. so, would not be shocked. 4M contract w/o NMC
I can only see this, if it's for Necas involved. Of course, losing Moore would be stupid, as well as Spence. But we've witnessed stupid at every turn. Expect stupid.
#1 2025 dealt

Kaliyev for what? A 3rd rd pick? I see them trying to actually get a top 6 forward real and it's not going to be pretty; the right one, or overpay, or a risk (Laine) or all 3 combined?

'Expect Stupid' - the new Kings motto. We could use much worse language...but easing it in. The Kings don't want to offend anyone.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Not to get all conspiratorial but is Blake just trying to f*** this franchise for a 2nd time, just as a GM? Like does he have such resentment from 2001 and jealousy from the 2 Cups (done completely without him) that he was thinking, "I'll knock this franchise down a peg or 3." I'm really starting to wonder. Chances are he's just f***ing clueless, plus the fact that there's a 3 headed beast GM that needs to be slain already.
King's aren't likely to draft a 97 even if they tank. They need to find a different way. Florida just showed that you can physically run over the skilled teams. Getting physical & running the skilled teams in the division down during the regular season & demolishing them in the playoffs is a legit strategy. Look how Boston bullies the Leafs.

The idea is sound. Now did Blake get guys that can play as well? Maybe we'll be surprised.

It also helps having a hot goalie & Barkov.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I said earlier the only way this makes sense is if Gavrikov is waving his NTC and being shipped out.

Kaliyev is hanging in the wind.

We have no goal scorers.

There has to be more coming

More? What do you mean more? We were right there!

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Which of the following is next:

deal for Pinto
deal for Necas
deal for Laine
deal for Ehlers
Tarasenko signing
Kaliyev dealt
Spence dealt
Moore dealt? they are going to bigger lineup. so, would not be shocked. 4M contract w/o NMC
I can only see this, if it's for Necas involved. Of course, losing Moore would be stupid, as well as Spence. But we've witnessed stupid at every turn. Expect stupid.
#1 2025 dealt

Kaliyev for what? A 3rd rd pick? I see them trying to actually get a top 6 forward real and it's not going to be pretty; the right one, or overpay, or a risk (Laine) or all 3 combined?

'Expect Stupid' - the new Kings motto. We could use much worse language...but easing it in. The Kings don't want to offend anyone.
We are at the point of money in money out.
8,11 not getting moved.
9,12,22 don't make the team better if moved.
Guys signed today are unlikely to get moved.
Gavrikov has one year. If he's not signing maybe he moves.
Kuemper could be moved. Probably cheaper than Cal as he's still at least an NHL back up & may rebound.

So Gavrikov with his NMC or pay to dump Kuemper.

Gambling on Laine is about the only thing cheap enough asset wise to make sense.

Really doubt anything else is happening. 50:50 Kaliyev trade, but does that matter? Only reason he's not gone is a lack of value due to coaching & development.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The core is still Byfield, Clarke, Spence, and eventually Portillo.

Too bad it's not Vilardi in there also.

I don't know what the Kings could have done with Sean Walker or Sean Durzi when Drew makes 10 million (Number 1 RHD), the Kings still had Roy (Number 2 RHD), and had Spence emerging along with Clarke.

The issue is they could have gained better assets moving Walker and Durzi in different deals. Same with Vilardi. Or they could have moved Roy and inserted Durzi and paid him.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Things to be excited about:
1. Kirsanov is in LA! Of course, does not mean he'll sign...especially with his spot blocked the next 3 years, (25-26 - 26-27, 27-28) by a pylon. So, maybe his agent tells him to stay in Russia, or ask for a trade. Oh, so don't get excited.
2. Have to dig deep here, cannot think of anything. I guess Turcotte, Thomas and Clarke getting NHL spots and actually playing. This is still not a given and that alone sucks hard.
3. Oh, PLD forever gone! Truly amazing. Although Kuemper and Edmundson added, tempers that.
And (of course) watch PLD play with a pulse and score 30 goals with the Caps. (you know that's going to happen, right?)
4. Being able to keep track of Greentree and see if he gets to 120 points...has a good WJC. And add Carter George emerging talent and leading Team Canada in goal in the WJC. Nice. The Kings cannot blow this, as these 2 are away from LA and in the CHL. The Kings cannot ruin them - yet.
5. Watch others progress....Conmy, Mania, Woolley...see if Pinelli can score 20 with the Reign. See Lawrence, Jamsen,, Booth and Portillo emerge...see if Lee and / or Helenius get cups of coffee.
6. To bad 1-5 has nothing to do with the 2024-2025 NHL Kings. Sigh.
7. Provorov's 2.1 M ending after this yr. Yeah! No matter, that 2.1 will be used to go toward a player worse than Edmundson, 7-1-25

Last edited:
Reactions: theMajor

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
We are at the point of money in money out.
8,11 not getting moved.
9,12,22 don't make the team better if moved.
Guys signed today are unlikely to get moved.
Gavrikov has one year. If he's not signing maybe he moves.
Kuemper could be moved. Probably cheaper than Cal as he's still at least an NHL back up & may rebound.

So Gavrikov with his NMC or pay to dump Kuemper.

Gambling on Laine is about the only thing cheap enough asset wise to make sense.

Really doubt anything else is happening. 50:50 Kaliyev trade, but does that matter? Only reason he's not gone is a lack of value due to coaching & development.

You honestly think they're done for the off-season? I don't. With the last 3 years:
21 Danault, Arvidsson
22 Fiala
23 PLD
24 Jeannot, Foegele. I think they will try to make up for the 'future hoped' PLD #1C and losses of Vilardi, Arvy, that they know they 'must' get a name or legit top 6 forward and will try to do it. Albeit a reach, ala Tarasenko or Laine. And not a true good add, ala Ehlers, Pinto, Necas.
They have shown to be able to move cap and would not put it past them to deal Moore, to use his 4M.At this point, I'd LOVE to get Nick Robertson. I truly see him as a perennial 50+ pt winger. Lots of upside.

I was really hoping for Marchessault or even Teravainen, DeBrusk level adds today.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024

Kings listed as the losers of free agency and Edmundson deal is listed as one of the worst-value contracts of the day :laugh:
Management has to go, everyone sees it except ownership and I am at the point where it may be best for Mr. Anschutz to sell them to a ownership group that actually pays attention or a group like Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad