GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Zegras is 23 so he fits into the rebuild. If Karslsson is ok to be part of the deal that’d be awesome.

Can’t see see how we’d have the best deal though. Are the Ducks in on Necas because that’d be weird otherwise?

Good young players? IF they didn't before or even play the ones they have in proper ways, why start now?

Go balls deep with the 30+ yr old veterans!

Reactions: Gurglesons

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I wonder what the "we are in a rebuild" folks will do if we move assets to bring in Zegras.
Acquiring a 23-year-old former first round pick with two 20-goal seasons to his name and who still hasn't reached his full potential is exactly what they should be doing.

This is also exactly what Dubas has talked about. As the Penguins have stocked up a bit on draft picks and prospects, they can try to expedite their remodeling by targeting established, young players who are either in need of a fresh start or who have been blocked by other players.

I have questions about Zegras' game, but it'd probably be worth any risk. I wouldn't give up Yager or Pickering, but anyone else would be worth considering.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Carter was pretty bad for a lot of his time here but that wasn't exactly his fault. He didn't put a gun to Hextall's head to sign him instead of keeping McCann. And he sure as hell didn't force Sullivan to play him way too much and in way too important situations.

One thing I'll give Carter is he was definitely clutch. He had some good playoff performances here and even this year there were a few games down the stretch where we needed a big goal and he came through for us. Didn't he score in that game against Tampa that the Pens nearly blew? Yeah we didn't end up making the playoffs but we almost did and Carter had a few moments.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Carter was pretty bad for a lot of his time here but that wasn't exactly his fault. He didn't put a gun to Hextall's head to sign him instead of keeping McCann. And he sure as hell didn't force Sullivan to play him way too much and in way too important situations.

One thing I'll give Carter is he was definitely clutch. He had some good playoff performances here and even this year there were a few games down the stretch where we needed a big goal and he came through for us. Didn't he score in that game against Tampa that the Pens nearly blew? Yeah we didn't end up making the playoffs but we almost did and Carter had a few moments.
Imagine being "pretty bad for a lot of his time" and being 2nd in scoring for the Penguins in the playoffs. Jake had 9 goals over 2 playoffs when Jeff came over, the 2nd most is Carter at 8. He was over used by Sullivan for his age, I kept mentioned it over and over again, that he was getting way too many minutes and of course, dipshit Sullivan kept playing him more anyway.

All the hate Jeff Carter gets, is entirely Mike Sullivan's fault, not his, as you mentioned. Given that Hayes is here now, we can put the Hextall forcing Carter narrative to rest. Sullivan likes these types, clearly.

Reactions: Pancakes

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Zegras is fun to watch.

So he won’t fit here.
Sullivan will knock that right out of him lol….career lows here as he rides the bench….

Well, if Roger Hicks NHL Insider says it, it's gotta be true
Roger Hicks played in Syracuse in the 1970s…too tiny to make it to the NHL lol…he has a lot of coveted NHL sources, so he says …

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
To me, the only acceptable reason to acquire Zegras right now is if you think you can get more for him at the 25-26 TDL (or offseason) than what you'd spend on him now. As in:

25-26 Assets acquired >> Summer 2024 Assets spent

And I guess to sell tickets because he'd make the team more fun? But certain people in the org don't want to be fun.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Odd. First I recall anyone mentioning needing approval from ownership to spend to the cap.
It’s not that they have approval to spend to the cap. It’s the way in which they spend to the cap that’s been approved. Ownership has said we can take on cap dumps for picks instead of filling it with win now players

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
cc @Gurglesons as he watches everybody

1720106309634.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad