Florida - Edmonton - Toronto cap-usage

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Here on HF, we often debate on which player is better and how much a player is worth. I`d rather compare the front-offices use of money. It usually dictate the future of a franchise. Can you ice a winning team if you overpay?

Floridas core:

Barkov 10M 2030
Tkachuk 9,5M 2030
Reinhart 8.65M 2032
Lundell 5M 2030
Forsling 5,75M 2032

Thats 38,9M for the core for the next 6-8yrs.

Toronto`s core:

Matthews 13.25M 2030
Nylander 11,5M 2032
Marner 10,9M 2025 - likely to sign 11,5M?
Rielly 7,5M 2030

Cant see Tavares beeing a part of the core anymore. Theese 4 will probably be the longterm core for 44M

Edmonton`s core:

McDavid 12.5M 2026 - will surely get a new contract minimum 15M
Draisaitl 8,5M 2025 - I expect Draisaitl to get a new contract wort 13-13.5M
Hyman 5,5M 2028
RNH 5.125M 2029
Nurse 9M 2030

Oilers have the 2 best players, but a boatanchor in Nurse. McDavids and Draisaitls new contract will also handcuff them some. I feel Hyman and RNH:s are very good. Theese 5 after McDrai`s extensions are 48.125M

Florida`s management has done a very good work, leaving money on the table for upgrading the rest of the team. Toronto is the overpay-master and probably why their playoff-drought is continuing. Oilers have done good with Hyman&RNH, but Darnell`s contract is super-bad. McDrai has to be paid or otherwise their window closes. I give Zito the goldmedal here and it looks like Panthers will be competative for a few years. Oilers probably too and even more so if they get rid of Nurse.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid will get whatever he wants, that said I think he's now been in the "I have more money than I could spend in my life" phase for long enough and has done his duty to the NHLPA by pushing salaries up to 12.5 with his first extension. He also makes several millions of dollars from endorsement deals that most players don't have. While it's not NBA level money, an extra $5-$6 million/year he makes from endorsments is a significant chunk of change.

He could take a discount on the next deal in order to win or at least back load his next deal in years 7/8 to make the cap hit lower.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Here on HF, we often debate on which player is better and how much a player is worth. I`d rather compare the front-offices use of money. It usually dictate the future of a franchise. Can you ice a winning team if you overpay?

Floridas core:

Barkov 10M 2030
Tkachuk 9,5M 2030
Reinhart 8.65M 2032
Lundell 5M 2030
Forsling 5,75M 2032

Thats 38,9M for the core for the next 6-8yrs.

Toronto`s core:

Matthews 13.25M 2030
Nylander 11,5M 2032
Marner 10,9M 2025 - likely to sign 11,5M?
Rielly 7,5M 2030

Cant see Tavares beeing a part of the core anymore. Theese 4 will probably be the longterm core for 44M

Edmonton`s core:

Draisaitl 8,5M 2025 - I expect Draisaitl to get a new contract wort 13-13.5M
Hyman 5,5M 2028
RNH 5.125M 2029
Nurse 9M 2030

Oilers have the 2 best players, but a boatanchor in Nurse. McDavids and Draisaitls new contract will also handcuff them some. I feel Hyman and RNH:s are very good. Theese 5 after McDrai`s extensions are 48.125M

Florida`s management has done a very good work, leaving money on the table for upgrading the rest of the team. Toronto is the overpay-master and probably why their playoff-drought is continuing. Oilers have done good with Hyman&RNH, but Darnell`s contract is super-bad. McDrai has to be paid or otherwise their window closes. I give Zito the goldmedal here and it looks like Panthers will be competative for a few years. Oilers probably too and even more so if they get rid of Nurse.
Probably worth adding Bouchards possible raise for Edmonton if you’re talking long term competitiveness, because that’s coming too. And they’ll possibly still have Nurse.

Far as Toronto, yea they do themselves no favors giving contracts that are entirely favorable to some players. That said, people blamed Dubas but the current management is doing literally the exact same thing. GM doesn’t have full autonomy there, and I’d bet bet anything Shanahan and the owners pushed for Tavares signing for hockey (leadership reputation and not knowing how draftees will pan out) and revenue reasons.

A lot of it is the players though. GMs can only convince players to have avcompetitive cap culture with players who are actually receptive to it, ie Bergeron and company for years with Boston

Matthews first and foremost sets the cap culture on that team, and he’s all about the money. A player like him, how important he is to that team in hockey and business capacity, has more leverage than people on HF recognizes. He’s about the money and maximizing, and he doesn’t care about team depth.

They let Marner’s NMC kick in (if it even mattered. I’m not sure they have the guts to make a Vegas type situation. Players are way too comfortable)

There was a really decent UFA class especially for defensemen this year. His money + the raise in cap could have afforded multiple great or solid defensemen, or a defensemen and a forward depth via trade and UFA

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Probably worth adding Bouchards possible raise for Edmonton if you’re talking long term competitiveness, because that’s coming too. And they’ll possibly still have Nurse.
I do agree they should keep Bouchard as part of the core. If they cant trade or dont buyout Nurse, its not actually possible. As a PPG defender, Bouchard will probably ask for 8-10M/yr and rightfully so. At the same time they have to extend Draisaitl and McLeod. Nurse has a NMC, so he has all the leverage.
Buying Nurse out give spave for 2yrs, but the problems appear 2026-2030 when the cap hits 8-9,5M/yr... So, essentially it gives Oilers a 2yr window. I`d rather send him packing with picks and prospects to say Sharks or Utah

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
1 of those things is not like the others

Oilers play in the west!

Last edited by a moderator:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You are forgetting Knight is making 4.5M to play in the minors and Bob is the highest paid goalie.

The Oilers also have a management. The new deals have been looking real good

Last edited:

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Cap is going up ALOT in the next few years so these comparisons will be out of date pretty quick. People need to remember that the cap being flat the last 5 years is very irregular and has created a unique circumstance in league history. We are due for a large correction. The cap will be north of 100m in a very short time.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Weird comparison, why not include Bouchard then, who is much more of a core player than Nurse

However Nurses contract is very bad. The underpays to Hyman/RNH are all eaten up by the overpayment to Nurse unfortuantly

Thankfully nurse is really the only true bad contract the Oilers have. Kane is so-so but short term and likely LTIR'd

Oilers cap situation will get dicey the year after this, but its an issue because they have to try an resign the two best players in the league and a stud #1 D, so not the worse problem to have

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Edmonton is as good as they are explicitly because their top 6 is ridiculously underpaid relative to how much it produces. That's the massive competitive advantage the team currently has over it's competition and the reason why the team has been fairly successful in spite of some significant contract mistakes from it's previous management team.

But I get that this is just a thinly veiled "look how well set up the Panthers are" brag thread and that's fair. They are.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Finally a thread that exposes the underreported story that Florida has paid less for their players than their competitors and that Toronto has overpaid, groundbreaking work.

HFboards is that picture of Randy Marsh sitting in his computer chair with... you know the one I am talking about

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023
I give Zito the goldmedal here and it looks like Panthers will be competative for a few years.
panthers.png

Also, even if you include Bobrovsky & Ekblad, the panthers are still have the superior cap-structure, but it just makes the panthers look so much better if we just ignore those contracts, right?

McDavid strikes me as the type of dude that is more likely to take a discount if he hasn't won one by 2026, but what do I know.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I do agree they should keep Bouchard as part of the core. If they cant trade or dont buyout Nurse, its not actually possible. As a PPG defender, Bouchard will probably ask for 8-10M/yr and rightfully so. At the same time they have to extend Draisaitl and McLeod. Nurse has a NMC, so he has all the leverage.
Buying Nurse out give spave for 2yrs, but the problems appear 2026-2030 when the cap hits 8-9,5M/yr... So, essentially it gives Oilers a 2yr window. I`d rather send him packing with picks and prospects to say Sharks or Utah
Keeping both Bouchard and Nurse is absolutely possible. It may mean getting rid of Kane but that is not going to cripple the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad