Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I figure the lineup may look something like:
Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe: Kempe gets a playmaker

Fiala - Byfield - Jeannot: Fiala/Byfield get front-net presence + additional physicality

Moore - Danault - Thomas: with more skill and a natural righty, Thomas replaces Arvidsson

Turcotte - Lewis - Laferriere: A modular energy line where everyone can move around
I think you are right -- especially the top two lines. But wow, that 4th line is maybe the worst in the league. Neither skillful (not scoring goals) nor big/tough whatsoever (Turc may survive one week max).

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Out:
Matt Roy
Blake Lizotte
Viktor Arvidsson
PLD
Cam Talbot
Arthur Kaliyev

In:
Tanner Jeannot
Warren Foegele
Joel Edmundson
Darcy Kuemper
Kyle Burroughs

This team got WORSE. And not even slightly but a LOT WORSE.
the only player that contributed regularly on the out list was roy.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Unless a major trade is made, I think this might pave the way for Kaliyev, to get a reset, stick him on a line with Danault/Moore for the year, and off you go,

Lewis, has to be the 13th forward, I guess you guys don't factor injuries in on signings, but sure....

Edmondson, 3rd line LHD, a bit expensive for that role, but it's not much with the cap going up, etc,

Everyone CRAVED more grit, toughness, etc, and then when they get it, yall shit your pants....if it wasn't so goddamn predictable, it would be funny.....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Everyone CRAVED more grit, toughness, etc, and then when they get it, yall shit your pants....if it wasn't so goddamn predictable, it would be funny.....
With the prerequisite of any players bringing that actually being good at hockey.

Edmundson is likely a downgrade from Englund.

Reactions: dman3474

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Unless a major trade is made, I think this might pave the way for Kaliyev, to get a reset, stick him on a line with Danault/Moore for the year, and off you go,

Lewis, has to be the 13th forward, I guess you guys don't factor injuries in on signings, but sure....

Edmondson, 3rd line LHD, a bit expensive for that role, but it's not much with the cap going up, etc,

I didn't crave grit, I craved a f***ing dude that can put pucks in the net and baring a trade (a trade that will cost us draft collateral and/or Spence) we ain't getting it.

I personally don't think the team is any better than last year.

My thoughts anyhow.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

When people ask for pizza and you order pizza with broccoli and anchovies, they might get upset even though you technically did what was asked. Details matter.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

Edmundson and Foegele are not tough hockey players.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I figure the lineup may look something like:
Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe: Kempe gets a playmaker

Fiala - Byfield - Jeannot: Fiala/Byfield get front-net presence + additional physicality

Moore - Danault - Thomas: with more skill and a natural righty, Thomas replaces Arvidsson

Turcotte - Lewis - Laferriere: A modular energy line where everyone can move around

Anderson - Doughty: because they believe in "pairings" and these two always go together.

Gavrikov - Clarke: Gavrikov's more defensively reliable to buoy Clarke

Edmondsun - Spence: Spence is sufficiently independent as a two-way defender, and Edmundson adds physicality to the pairing.
You don’t see the big picture. We added Burroughs because our new right shot winger is a guy named Brandt Clarke.

Reactions: King'sPawn

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
When people ask for pizza and you order pizza with broccoli and anchovies, they might get upset even though you technically did what was asked. Details matter.

Details absolutely matter, what signing out there would you rather have, there's one that I see, Buffalo, Lafferty, 2 years, that would have been better than Foegle,

For D, Forbort, maybe for a year in Vancouver? other than that, there was a crap ton of overpayment,

And this is just under the assumption that every FA wanted to come here, we turned them down.....

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Losing Faber was it for me. Byfield and Faber were our future 1C and 1D to build around along with Vilardi, all that's needed is a 1G for the future. Clarke had better f***ing pan out and be a franchise defenseman.

Really thought Lewis was going to Utah. WHY didn't they let him?
They obviously didn’t want him, they are currently upgrading.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Details absolutely matter, what signing out there would you rather have, there's one that I see, Buffalo, Lafferty, 2 years, that would have been better than Foegle,

For D, Forbort, maybe for a year in Vancouver? other than that, there was a crap ton of overpayment,

And this is just under the assumption that every FA wanted to come here, we turned them down.....
Signing no one is better than signing a bad contract.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Rich Evans is his agent?!
ENdl1bgWkAg4D7S.jpg:large

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Woof, well that wasn't a great free agency day from Blake....

Foegele is a decent depth add who should be able to move up/down the lineup but the Edmundson signing is atrocious. Multiple LD's that would've been better options & signed for less. Giving a guy like Edmundson 4 years at nearly $4m AAV when his career has been sharply declining for the last 3 years is truly insane. I'm not even sure Edmundson's an upgrade over Englund... Yikes.

So barring any trades / additional signings the Kings roster is looking something like the following:
Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Byfield - Jeannot
Moore - Danault - Laferriere
Turcotte - Thomas - Lewis
Fagemo

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Spence
Edmundson - Clarke
Englund, Burroughs

Kuemper
Rittich
Portillo

Overall, I like that we've added some size & toughness but it's hard to argue that's a better roster than last season - You'd need young players to step up in a HUGE way in order for this to be a seriously competitive roster.

Feels like there HAS to be something more coming - Either a trade or at least another forward signing. Regardless, feels very very disappointing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad