Fire Luke Richardson

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Would you rather have a coach chew out a tip player on the bench after a terrible turnover?

See Montgomery chewing out Brad Marchand on the bench during a game in front of the Bruins team..

Woukd you ratger have KR chew out Kurashev in front of the Hawks pkayers on the bench instead of scratching him...or would you ratger see LR chew out Halk for his lazy watch from behind failing to turn on the Jets to back-check which resulted in a goal agaibst or should Halk be scratched?

There are only 3 logical choices for getting g players to wake up or not to do dumb things:

1.Do nothing g...because they are vets.But you can scratch kids of course ifvthey play badly or do dumb things.

2.Chew out the culprit i front of the team even if he is a respected vet...eg.Mo toners on Marchand.

3.Scratch even a respected vet including a top stars if he star fails in sone way...but only if he is disregarding instruction you gave him earlier to pkay better or to do sonething he us not doing or to not do the same mistakes again and again.

That is all any coach can choose to do with a pkayer costing the team or not following instructions.

So it seems no matter which of thse options LR coukd use,he is going g to be blamed anyway.

Of course players should tKevon their own actions or lack of actions calked for..

But of course only the coach gets blamed...never the player especualky ifvhevis a star..

So far KR has chosen the scratch method and not to chewvout players in public or onthe bench in the heat of battle.

He may have also chosen no action at times with certain vets or evenbudfibgvstars(you know who I mean.. (LR:: "CB I have told you shoot the puck more...but not from the perimeter...you gotta get to the high danger slot..you cannot let goalies have an easy time and cannot let 4th line nobodies prevent you from getting to the high dagers areas...choice?I've told you and told you but 2 goals on your last 59 shotsvover your lsst 20 games and you still do not listen...kinda failing on shooting..but you know and I know I cannot scratch you ...so I will fond others tovscratch..you are safe..though if you go another 2 forc59 I think I may have to risk fan ire abd put you on the bench till you listen to me and get to those high dangerxareas before shooting ...You will not best NHL goalies much from low danger areas of shootng")...

Surely Bedard's Generational Shot cannot face Verona goalie performance almost all 82 games?

So Bedard must be doing sonething wrong over last 20ngames in notvscoring enough goals on shotsxtake...and when as in ladt game he generates onlyv2 shots on goal...that is clearly not enough.. especialky given his lousy shooting %over the last 20GP..

On the Pos tgere is 1 orx2 less defenders ...but Bedard isvpkayong point or goes down to the dot...Still not taking it to high danger middle skit and firing..

On 5x5 where is the drive over the line from the middle of the ice to then release and fire?

Do you think LR has nkt mentioned to him to start getting to the high danger area of the slot middle..If he cannot execute that mission then tge very reason we drafted hom goes poof!

And esoecialky if he let's nobody 4th liners hold hon to justc2 shots or shove hom to the perimeter.. nor can he just be a PPguy..has to lead in 5x5 too.And he us not the one scoring on the Pp...assistsxare nice but hevis tabbed Generational for a reason...his release and shot.

So IF thi s lousy shooting % keeps up much longer ,should LR do nothing to eKe hom up?

He is supposed to be a star shooter...thatvis supposed to be his best asset...yet over last 20 GP this best weapon has basically been silenced.

So how long before LR tries to do something to improve Bedard scorong GOALS?

Anither 20games? Probably...because we all EXOECT some reversion to at least 19% or better shooting efficiency ..but clearly anotger 2 for 59 will not be acceptable from Bedard.

statswatcher

the smartest guy in athens knows he's dumb
Jul 27, 2022
all timer post fiddy.
That is all any coach can choose to do with a pkayer costing the team or not following instructions.

So it seems no matter which of thse options LR coukd use,he is going g to be blamed anyway.
no one would blame lurich for not scratching his best faceoff taking center so far this season and second highest scorer from last season.
He may have also chosen no action at times with certain vets or evenbudfibgvstars(you know who I mean.. (LR:: "CB I have told you shoot the puck more...but not from the perimeter...you gotta get to the high danger slot..you cannot let goalies have an easy time and cannot let 4th line nobodies prevent you from getting to the high dagers areas...choice?I've told you and told you but 2 goals on your last 59 shotsvover your lsst 20 games and you still do not listen...kinda failing on shooting..but you know and I know I cannot scratch you ...so I will fond others tovscratch..you are safe..though if you go another 2 forc59 I think I may have to risk fan ire abd put you on the bench till you listen to me and get to those high dangerxareas before shooting ...You will not best NHL goalies much from low danger areas of shootng")...
what was the point of the knowing "you know who i mean" with two periods instead of an elipsis if you were just going to launch into this bizarre fan fiction lecture where you imagine lurich as your sock puppet talking to bedard?
He is supposed to be a star shooter...thatvis supposed to be his best asset...
i'm genuinely in awe of how you can shoehorn your bedard shooting slump bugbear into a conversation about whether or not a player who doesn't play on his line should be scratched.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What negatives does LR bring to the table? Specifically for the younger players?

I think hes an average coach with below average talent.

Not a great 1 game start but he fixed the first line mid game. Hopefully he fixes the PP2 next game.

Bedard Vlasic Kurashev have excelled, Korchinski was fine, and Reichel was a mess. Im not sure how you can judge his impact on younger players yet.

I also understand Bedard would excel under any coach.
Finally, a post about young players and their coach that makes sense.

Led by Pez as usual a few folks weren't happy with how Luke handled their darling players and got on the fire HC bandwagon early on. They continue to ignore the good and nitpick every coaching decision. They act as if they know what goes on behind closed doors. They think they know more about coaching than a 20 year veteran player who has earned the job he has. Every Hawks fan knew the rebuild was going to be painful but I guess there always needs to be the whipping boys who take the brunt of the criticism.

Meanwhile, Luke has returned this team to being accountable. They are obviously lacking talent but to a man they are working both sides of the puck and are off to a decent start to the season. Do I think Richardson is the coach of the future? It's hard to say. But I'm certainly not going to jump on that band wagon at this point - not until the young players that are here and the ones on their way here have a chance to succeed.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022

Led by Pez as usual a few folks weren't happy with how Luke handled their darling players and got on the fire HC bandwagon early on. They continue to ignore the good and nitpick every coaching decision. They act as if they know what goes on behind closed doors. They think they know more about coaching than a 20 year veteran player who has earned the job he has. Every Hawks fan knew the rebuild was going to be painful but I guess there always needs to be the whipping boys who take the brunt of the criticism.

Meanwhile, Luke has returned this team to being accountable. They are obviously lacking talent but to a man they are working both sides of the puck and are off to a decent start to the season. Do I think Richardson is the coach of the future? It's hard to say. But I'm certainly not going to jump on that band wagon at this point - not until the young players that are here and the ones on their way here have a chance to succeed.
find me a single person on this board that would regard kurashev as one of their "darlings" please. you won't, because you aren't actually trying to make a point about the coaching decision we are discussing. you are posturing, positioning yourself as the tough minded old time hockey guy rolling his eyes at a bunch of whining kids.

i'm not calling for lurich's job over scratching kurashev, but so far i've seen no one justify it by any reasonable means.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Funny how Kurashev and Hall have near identical numbers, but you think Hall is due a promotion to the first line, and Kurashev is due for a scratch.

Reactions: statswatcher

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Funny how Kurashev and Hall have near identical numbers, but you think Hall is due a promotion to the first line, and Kurashev is due for a scratch.
!/ I have not even mentioned Kurashev, and I do like the progress in his game in fact but I'm not going to nitpick every coaching decision.
2/ I didn't say Hall should be "promoted". I did say that Bedard needs a line mate with some speed who can perhaps give him more time and space. Unfortunately, Hall is the only guy I can think of to fulfill that need.... and the bonus could be to get Hall going.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
They are clearly rotating the healthy scratches early in the year. Kurashev isnt playing terrible but hes not producing. Just a chance to give him a reset. Its not all that fair to him because hes not a 2nd line center but it is what it is.

I wouldnt do it. I dont think its a big deal as long as its one game.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They are clearly rotating the healthy scratches early in the year. Kurashev isnt playing terrible but hes not producing. Just a chance to give him a reset. Its not all that fair to him because hes not a 2nd line center but it is what it is.

I wouldnt do it. I dont think its a big deal as long as its one game.
The Kurashev benching isn't a "rotating" healthy scratch. It's a single game performance benching. It's amateur kid shit like a coach would do with a high school player, not a pro. Bench a guy for an extended period of shit performance, sure. But one bad game? Stupid.

Reactions: Giovi and Pez68

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm not that worried about it, all language clearly seems to indicate it's a one game "send a message" move, and not a permanent roster decision. Good message to send up and down to some of the guys that nobody is invulnerable.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
!/ I have not even mentioned Kurashev, and I do like the progress in his game in fact but I'm not going to nitpick every coaching decision.
2/ I didn't say Hall should be "promoted". I did say that Bedard needs a line mate with some speed who can perhaps give him more time and space. Unfortunately, Hall is the only guy I can think of to fulfill that need.... and the bonus could be to get Hall going.
So you're not even saying you agree with LR's decision to bench Kurashev, just that he's somehow above having his decisions criticized here? Good to know.

As has been pointed out to you before, this board exists for fans to come on and talk all things Hawks. You voice your own opinions, but constantly tell others they are wrong to do the same.

And if moving Hall from the second line to the first line isn't promoting him, what is it?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So you're not even saying you agree with LR's decision to bench Kurashev, just that he's somehow above having his decisions criticized here? Good to know.

As has been pointed out to you before, this board exists for fans to come on and talk all things Hawks. You voice your own opinions, but constantly tell others they are wrong to do the same.

And if moving Hall from the second line to the first line isn't promoting him, what is it?
Absolving him of his 2nd line duties, obviously.

Reactions: Giovi

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
The Kurashev benching isn't a "rotating" healthy scratch. It's a single game performance benching. It's amateur kid shit like a coach would do with a high school player, not a pro. Bench a guy for an extended period of shit performance, sure. But one bad game? Stupid.
I didnt see the Buffalo game or the Calgary game so your more informed then me on this but hes got 8 shots in 6 games 1 point and a -6 playing on the second line with decent players. Its not like hes been playing great and had one bad game.

Hes been a little more lost then last year on the defensive side of the puck. I wonder if they figure out a way to get him back on the wing when he comes back.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
There is something else to consider in the FLR debate:

That is this:
Hawks have a 12 person Staff Dept. dedicated to Hockey Strategy and Analytics...
4 of thse aretech support basically...2 Data Scientists 1 Software Engineer and 1 Hockey Tech Manager...that leaves 8 involved in Analysis abdvor Hockey Strategy ..

You woukd think this impressive amount of dedicated resources woukd come up with sone genius strategies to help LR make t hevbest coaching strategy and decisions to both beat oppone ts and to get the best resukts from hosbpkayers.

It hardly seems to have me much difference so far over last season ...

Since tgere is a pile of subscriber analytics one can get ,you wobderxwhy Hawks have invested so much in their own staffing.

You do need the tech support and surely 1 person could summarize the data gleaned from existing published sources if the Hawks merely paid for some services collecting such analytical data for a subscription fee.

If the Hawks have come up with sonething entirely their own and not fo und tgrough Ny free or private subscription service,whatever the Hawks have "discovefed" has NOT born fruit to me mich difference in results or getgibg Hawks to contendernlevels of offense or defense.

Such AnLystocsxand Straegy you woukdvthink for a Return On Investment SHOULD make some significant improvements for the offense the defense and for winning.

But instead we still get a paucity of goals...and too may goals going I our net.

As anexamolevif a subscription micro-analyical data service Powers&Laz in a cent article brought up data on the Hawks compiled by Corey Szjnaider o f ShutdownLine , to which I presume they pay for as a Sunriver.

It shows Bedard of coursexas our most creative player in all kinds of micro analytic categories...But unless this "creating "translates to more actual goals leading n primary assists on scoringis not actualky meaningful unless it results in actual assists on goals scored. chances and other micro data like that
And for Basic stats like shooting% ...you u do not need to pay for that ...The NHL and soirts sites covering g NHL hockey report basic data lije shot attempts,shot misses ,shots blocked,shot s that actualky getvon goal.,shooting % etc..

So if Hawks Ho ckey Strategyvand AnLytics Dept.were that much a help to LR he woukd be a genius coach and Hawks would dominate as N elite team.

1 thing.. It isvtge Players who need to execute well..if they create but do not finish enough it dies not mean much.

In golf to borrowxN analogy you drive for show and out for dough...The rdsukt...the finish...is paramount.

If tge Hawks are deficient in finishing or do not create enough High Danger chances and Finish a higher %ofvthose,then the fancy analytics mean didcky'squat.

Hawjs probably do just as well with a 6 person StrategyvNd AnLytivs Dept (still need 2 Data Scientists and a Software Engineer and a Tech Manger...unless you just pay for out of organization data supply reports....maybe then you just need realky only 2 or 3vpersons...1 to analyze the already analyzed data provided by paid forsunscri bed services Nd available from free sources for more basic data...and 1 or 2 to develop p "Strategy" both for pjayers personally and for the team as a whole vs. Opponents.

Point is.. 12 persons for thus is overkill.
If you are going tobspend this much on a Department it too must show goodxresults from their work reflected in better winning %, better defense and better scoring.

Their input must make Ny coach ofvthe Hawks better on his game strategies and instruction to players.

So why you blMong LR as coach?Shouldn't tbe highly costly 8 Analyticsx nd Strategy guys (not the 4 tech /data support) be walking the plank instead...ifcalk their data and research has not brought results expected?

OF COURSE analyrics is 1 thing. Actual Talent that finishes and defends well is kind if important,do you notvthink?

Only so much a coach can do...he cannot beat goalies or keep ucks out of our net.

As for micro analysis ....whikevitvis nice to know who excels on the team in several categories.. who is average and who is at the bottom on such measures,Itvis more important to know how theyrank in comparison to others on other teams who are turning analytics into successful results and rank higher in comparison to tge Hawks players in these stats..

I woukd need to know league average for each micro stat and then grade how high or low above or below that average ourvpkayersxare in that stat to geta more useful analysis.

Then I would want to copy,If I could,,what the leaders in each of these categories are doing to achieve their high score for each category and get my guys to duplicate their successes

Or ...we coul4d dispense with all the fancy micro data...and just look at 2 things:

1 Heat Maps...if Hawks Heat Map is too perimeter and not enough shots from hogh danger area...our offense willbe below average...
And IF the opps Heat Map is heavily shaded in the high dan6ger shooting areas ,we are likely to give up too many goals to win often.

2. Shooting efficiency...shots on goal above league average+shooting%above league average and voila we are going to be leaders in offense.

3.D-zone puck retrieval and successful exits...if these above league average chancesare we will be leaders defensively unless our goalies stink or unless we let guys have free paths to our net .

Maybe we cannot do everything well..but if we do the most important things well,it should lead to good results.

NYWAY ...when considering firing LR ,maybe you first want to fire the analytics and hockey strategy team ...cause whatever advice they give LR,it seems to be of little effect.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I have not even mentioned Kurashev, and I do like the progress in his game in fact but I'm not going to nitpick every coaching decision.
this is a dodge. you get right on the edge of admitting it's a silly decision, but you stop yourself before you can tell the truth and tell everyone else that doing so would be "nitpicking". i don't know why. pride? senescence? make it make sense for me.

Maybe we cannot do everything well..but if we do the most important things well,it should lead to good results.
how you haven't made it farther in life than being a forum nuisance with little tidbits of wisdom like this i will never know.

Reactions: Giovi

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't have a problem with the philosophy. Fact is, this roster is still terrible and Kurashev is probably a top 5 forward on our team. Yeah, he had a bad game. Yeah that sucks. Other guys on this roster don't help us nearly as much as he does.

Also it doesn't add up. If I was in that room I'm not saying "wow I better play better or I might get scratched" I'm thinking.. wow.. if my number comes up on the Health Bomb Wheel of Fortune then I'm getting scratched.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Guys have bad games. It happens. Kurashev has been good all but one game. It's a terrible f***ing coaching strategy. This imbecile continues to have double standards for washed up vets. I can't wait until they fire him.
I like imbecile too.

I get 'never coaching to lose', but when you nearly blow a tank in 23' and set a record losing streak in 24', I'm starting to worry about what dirt he has on KD or Danny since this guy is still here.

This guy gave almost 1,600 minutes to Tinordi and Megna last year. .

Why doesn't he just bag skate Kurashev like he's in juniors?

Reactions: ChiHawks10

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
The issue isn’t scratching Kurashev to “send a message”. The issue is the inconsistency on how messages are applied player to player.

Kurashev isn’t the first “relied upon” player to have a bad/horrible night during Richardson’s tenure. If memory serves he’s the first to sit for it though

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The only forwards I care about are Bedard, Teuvo, and Dickinson. I don't think there's much of a future with any of the rest of them so it's inconsequential to me if LuRich is handling them like a dufus or not.

The coach and the rest of these players will be gone by the time it matters. Stack Bedard's line and focus on our young defense this season because this collection of forwards couldn't be less important to our future.

I do wish Brodie never saw the ice again already but he was a Vet UFA signing so it's not shocking to me he's getting reps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad