Confirmed with Link: Finnish Aho signs offer sheet from Finnish Montreal (5 years, $8.54M AAV) - Part 2 (Mod warning #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm assuming the Canes match and then negotiations begin from there. Apparently Aho really wants to be a Hab?

If they match, they can't trade him for a year. If Dundon seriously doesn't want to pay the bonuses, he has to negotiate a side deal with Montreal where Montreal would give up something(s) in exchange for Carolina not matching.

But Carolina probably has to match. That organization is in serious trouble if they don't.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
There's no downside to having cap space. None. Vegas went to the Cup finals by having almost unlimited cap space (initially). So we got Shaw off the books. Perfect. We could absorb other contracts, get draft picks or even trade for 2020 RFA and sign them. So either we get Aho or another good young player in this window or over the next year.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If they match, they can't trade him for a year. If Dundon seriously doesn't want to pay the bonuses, he has to negotiate a side deal with Montreal where Montreal would give up something(s) in exchange for Carolina not matching.

But Carolina probably has to match. That organization is in serious trouble if they don't.
Damned if they do.....
Damn if they don't

(Maybe)

You can't get blood from an onion.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Damned if they do.....
Damn if they don't

(Maybe)

You can't get blood from an onion.

I would have tried to make the decision tougher on Carolina, but I appreciate that Bergevin realized that a middling UFA wasn't going to make difference for Montreal.

People can complain about the cap space all they want, but it's better not to spend it than spend it poorly.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
If it doesn't work... similar offersheet to Laine? Pair him with Kotka?

Lower tier player than Aho, still a Finnish connection and one hell of a shot. Pay Carey the Laine-rate when he's on the ice to even out the defensive lapses.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Bergevin said that he contacted Waddell for the first time, this morning.
And wadell said they were talking, they had an idea it might come to this but he didn't know it would happen on day one.

Bergevin might be exploiting the 6X8 bad blood but he didn't start it.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Canes will match this. The whole 21 million dollars in the first year was a good ploy by MB but the Canes owner is loaded and will throw everything at Aho. Waddell will make MB stress until the last minute. Wether Aho remains with the Hurricanes after a year, that is another topic we can discuss when the time comes. The Canes will not let their franchise player walk and the owner knows he has more to lose by letting him go, plain and simple. MB send a message that he is serious about winning and spending, I believe this why this move was made. Hopefully, other tight cap teams reach out to the Habs now. MB has nothing to lose.

$11.3M in less than 7 days, then $9.87M next July right? Or is it $21M in less than 7 days?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I would have tried to make the decision tougher on Carolina, but I appreciate that Bergevin realized that a middling UFA wasn't going to make difference for Montreal.

People can complain about the cap space all they want, but it's better not to spend it than spend it poorly.
They STILL CAN make the decision tougher.

For the next 7 days.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
If it doesn't work... similar offersheet to Laine? Pair him with Kotka?

Lower tier player than Aho, still a Finnish connection and one hell of a shot. Pay Carey the Laine-rate when he's on the ice to even out the defensive lapses.
Laine a lower tier player?? Um ok.

Reactions: snakeye

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Are the 2nd and 3rd round picks not deferrable to the next year like the 1st?

It actually might be, I'm not entirely sure. I'm just going off what I read somewhere.

But I doubt Bergevin tenders two offersheets at once.

It's a pretty big deal that Aho actually signed this one. It means he's willing to go to Montreal at a relatively reasonable AAV. Lavoie was on 590 suggesting Aho wasn't really happy in Carolina for what it's worth.

Reactions: habsfan891

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Send them Suzuki plus a 2021 3rd Round Pick for whatever.

Canes don't match. Aho comes to Montreal.

It becomes Aho + whatever for Suzuki + a 2020 1st + a 2020 2nd + a 2020 3rd + a 2021 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad