Confirmed with Link: Finnish Aho signs offer sheet from Finnish Montreal (5 years, $8.54M AAV) - Part 2 (Mod warning #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Way too much out there about the Canes matching, so I think for all the fan affair.. it's just not enough.

Like I said earlier, Bergevin put all of his eggs in the “Dundon is a cheap owner” basket and it wasn't enough to get it done.

Swing and a miss, and now he can tell the fans and his players that “he tried.”

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I honestly didn’t care so much for LD. I wanted a top 6 forward. No the tease of maybe getting one of the best in the game is gonna hurt when it’s matched
I just think this team isn’t that far and doing nothing this summer will be kick in the face

Of course I also wanted a top player but I never bought into the “possibility” of Duchene coming here, despite the courting by Montreal last week. Panarin I think we can also agree had no shot of coming here.

The Aho situation I’m fine with. I personally would not have done $10.5m unless we’d get 7 years. By all accounts, he wanted 5 years. We definitely could have gone higher, but I think the strategy of the bonuses is pretty solid on MB’s part.

Yes, I said MB was solid. Now I have to take a shower...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
This offer sheet will blow up in MB's face big time.
How? We don't lowball RFA's.

If people want to target domi, let em. We have a lot of cap to play with.

Unlike some teams, dropping 21 million on a player in a year and a day, doesn't scare us. The pockets are deep.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Hurricanes fans are freaking out. They might not show it in their posts but they are worried. They are playing it off with all these clever jokes but the truth is they have no money. If they were going to match this offer, they would've done it already. There would be no reason for them to freeze our money. We still have ~12M in cap space with the 10% cap flexibility rule in the summer. Dundon needs to find a way to come up with this money in the next week or else. There is no stress for Habs fans. The Hurricanes fans are the ones who are stressing. Their franchise player was willing to leave them just like that.

I think that last part is pretty damning. I think Carolina can find a way to match the money, but the whole situation could make for a toxic work environment since it never would had come to this had they just met Aho’s demands. It’s not like they didn’t know he was a pending RFA.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Like I said earlier, Bergevin put all of his eggs in the “Dundon is a cheap owner” basket and it wasn't enough to get it done.

Swing and a miss, and now he can tell the fans and his players that “he tried.”
Or he can try for the next 7 days.

When did opening with your best offer become a legitimate negotiation tactic?

How to lose buckets and influence people?

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
I think that last part is pretty damning. I think Carolina can find a way to match the money, but the whole situation could make for a toxic work environment since it never would had come to this had they just met Aho’s demands. It’s not like they didn’t know he was a pending RFA.

Yup, Aho is gone in five years.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Yeah. Terrible day.

If MB really wanted Aho. He should have made a real offer, 10.5m$. You only have to give two first picks. And at least, it could have made the Canes think about it. A 1st, 2nd and 3rd thats bargain bin territory. Every insiders, knowledgeable fans and even nhl.com all agrees that Canes will match. So wtf?

It looks like a real setup between Bergevin and Waddell. So that Waddell can sign his player (because ownership was cheap at firsthand but now it is forced to accept) and it makes Bergevin looks like he « tried ».

In the end, yeah its all make-up and smoke.

We wont have Aho in our oppening line-up; we didnt signed any good ufas; we lost shaw (20goals last year).

Yes we can replace Shaw internally with all our good prospects. But at the end of the day, MB failed again. His 1st plan was Duchene, his 2nd was « aho » or was it? And now we are stuck in lala land.

But their marketing team and their PR department arr probably really happy. Because MB’s image is at his top, Habs seems like an organisation that tries and les fefans are happy, even though we ended empty handed.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
How? We don't lowball RFA's.

If people want to target domi, let em. We have a lot of cap to play with.

Unlike some teams, dropping 21 million on a player in a year and a day, doesn't scare us. The pockets are deep.

Just to add that the player being presented the offer sheet has to actually accept and sign. No idea what Domi’s mindset may be but to me at least it appears he loves the Habs so say Carolina comes in and presents an OS, he can just simply ignore it.

Sticking on the topic of Domi, I’d only be mildly worried if Toronto were to OS him. Not that they got the cap for it, but just spit balling here.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad