Confirmed with Link: Finnish Aho signs offer sheet from Finnish Montreal (5 years, $8.54M AAV) - Part 2 (Mod warning #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Since I suck in financial stuff, Dundon is a 52% owner of the canes, wouldn't one of the other owners possibly step up cash wise?

click here>Carolina Hurricanes Sold To Tom Dundon For $420 Million
Tom Dundon has purchased the Carolina Hurricanes and the operating rights to PNC Arena for $420 million.
Dundon now owns 61% of the Hurricanes with outgoing owner Peter Karmanos retaining 39%. Dundon has an option to purchase the remainder of the team in three years at a significantly higher enterprise value.

The Hurricanes now have a much stronger balance sheet. Prior to the sale the team was saddled with some $260 million of debt. The team's debt is now roughly $100 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Nothing really? You have your official twitter saying you'll match, then 6 days later you don't? That's... a bit screwed up.

I have no special knowledge of the inner workings of NHL hockey teams, but I somehow doubt the guy who runs social media was told so soon that the hurricanes were matching 100% for sure. Waddell might not even be sure 100% he is yet. Don't they have to sit down and analyze things properly in light of recent events ? Even if we all assume they will match, they still need to do the exercise and that twitter post was fired so fast there's no way this exercise was concluded and he was made aware of it.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Carolina cannot afford to lose Aho.

So Habs will have basically the same team next September minus Shaw, DeLO and Benn. Space for Poehling and perhaps McCarron.

On D, the contract to Reilly says it all.

I'm fine with graduating some kids but the Habs LD depth is terrible. They need something there.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I have no special knowledge of the inner workings of NHL hockey teams, but I somehow doubt the guy who runs social media was told so soon that the hurricanes were matching 100% for sure. Waddell might not even be sure 100% he is yet. Don't they have to sit down and analyze things properly in light of recent events ? Even if we all assume they will match, they still need to do the exercise and that twitter post was fired so fast there's no way this exercise was concluded and he was made aware of it.

Well in that case that guy should be fired, because that gives false hope to your fanbase.

So it still means something, but maybe it just means something for the social media guy: that he should lose his job if he wrote that without insider knowledge.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
GM's might not like getting offersheet but if word got out you welsched on a deal, no one trusts you again.

Same exists for sign and trades ( which are rare). For a GM to orchestrate the move and then leave his trading partner holding the bag with the signed player would've be GM suicide.

I honestly find this to be a little naive. What if Waddell doesn't give a shit and plans to retire for good after this gig ? Too many what ifs.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Not sarcastic at all It’s a lot of bonus money for an owner who’s crying the blues
Absolutely and it's why the habs did it, the bonus money for the next 12 months is equal with their regular season gate money and that's a big deal for a struggling franchise in a non hockey market. I doubt that half of their fan base would even know about Aho or even miss him if he left the team.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I said I DON'T GIVE THE OTHERS. I think that if it's well known that Aho wants to leave, 1st, Drouin and Suzuki could be enough. No, I don't give Poehling.
That "third option" is not viable the instant he signed the OS.

If we get AHo the minimum we are giving up is a first a second and a third.

No takebacks no substitutions.

Reactions: DavePeak

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Exactly my point. I mean it could happen, it's just really piss poor PR if they don't match..
Canes social media voice could definitely pull off chirping at ownership if they get this wrong. They have a very different voice than the Habs, or most other franchises.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Hurricanes fans are freaking out. They might not show it in their posts but they are worried. They are playing it off with all these clever jokes but the truth is they have no money. If they were going to match this offer, they would've done it already. There would be no reason for them to freeze our money. We still have ~12M in cap space with the 10% cap flexibility rule in the summer. Dundon needs to find a way to come up with this money in the next week or else. There is no stress for Habs fans. The Hurricanes fans are the ones who are stressing. Their franchise player was willing to leave them just like that.

We all know that they will probably match, but can you imagine for a second that they don’t? Picture Aho in Habs jersey on opening night vs the Canes...Lol

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I honestly find this to be a little naive. What if Waddell doesn't give a **** and plans to retire for good after this gig ? Too many what ifs.
In the history of sign and trades, how many GM's were left holding the bag?

I'll wait.

Jul 6, 2016
I'm fine with graduating some kids but the Habs LD depth is terrible. They need something there.

They might go for Hutton or Chiarot who are about equal to Benn was.

OR
They finally put Aho in a Habs' jersey. Move Domi on LW and trade Drouin for a LD of some value

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That "third option" is not viable the instant he signed the OS.

If we get AHo the minimum we are giving up is a first a second and a third.

No takebacks no substitutions.

Working with a prior agreement, he can refuse the Aho contract and subsequently trade back picks from the compensation for a different compensation.

This is what happened in Chris Gratton's case between the Flyers and Lightning.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Absolutely and it's why the habs did it, the bonus money for the next 12 months is equal with their regular season gate money and that's a big deal for a struggling franchise in a non hockey market. I doubt that half of their fan base would even know about Aho or even miss him if he left the team.
The last part is a little harsh, no?
They made the playoffs and had a great run.
The idea that their fan base are people killing time waiting for the next NASCAR race to start isn't true.

As a small market team they have issues we do not, it doesn't make their fans drooling idiots.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
6-A1319-AF-6979-4-C97-85-D5-8-F28-D2-FB4290.png

For what it’s worth, this just came out 15 minutes ago...

Reactions: Habaneros

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Me too..What the hell happens if Carolina matches? There is literally no one left of note as a UFA as a fall back plan. You all say trades, but all teams have already done so in a lead up to today. In other words, we are basically looking at the exact same team as last year while everyone else improved. This better pan out...

What about we dont sign overpaid players and stay the same team as last year and hopefully get a top 10 pick in this year draft. 2020 top 10 pick is going to be nasty. Id rather not sign lee and gardiner and have a somewhat bad year and get a chance at drafting Alexis lafreniere, a french qc, in montreal. We badly need a franchise player off this rebuild imo. I don’t think KK as the potential to be one. I could be wrong tho.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Carolina cannot afford to lose Aho.

So Habs will have basically the same team next September minus Shaw, DeLO and Benn. Space for Poehling and perhaps McCarron.

On D, the contract to Reilly says it all.
Aho or Chaos :nopity:
we are the 1st of July man , lot of things can happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad