Euro: Final - Spain v. England - July 14

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm fascinated by this discourse mainly because really the main (and probably only?) thing that makes me raise an eyebrow towards Pep (when I think of how he is positioned in the grand ranking of managers) is that I struggle to think of many players who he really made look significantly better than they actually were. He's good at making 8.5 players look like 10s, but I can't think of a single example of him turning a 5 into an 8.5.

Who is Pep's Darren Fletcher? His Tom Cleverley?

Foden looking lost without Pep at the Euros to me isn't proof that Pep makes him look better than he is, IMO. It's just that Foden developed in a system where he's told what to do always and knows exactly what to do. If Foden were placed in a different team, but with a competent manager, I think he'd still look great.
I thought your ranking of the Spanish midfielders was pretty much 100%. Now you're equating Darren Fletcher and Tom Cleverly. I don't know what's real any more.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I thought your ranking of the Spanish midfielders was pretty much 100%. Now you're equating Darren Fletcher and Tom Cleverly. I don't know what's real any more.
The gulf between Fletcher and Cleverly is enormous, don’t worry brother I don’t mean to equate them. Just the first two examples that entered my mind of “guys Fergie made look better than they were”

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Even timo got sent to the EPL to regain his confidence when the BuLi was too tough for him. Everyone scores more there.

Not our fault French teams only learn how to play when they don’t have the ball :sarcasm:
Well since they're using Bundesliga to practice 15 goal seasons and to earn huge salaries after that as a platform (and then disappoint elsewhere), I wouldn't run my mouth :sarcasm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well since they're using Bundesliga to practice 15 goal seasons and to earn huge salaries after that as a platform (and then disappoint elsewhere), I wouldn't run my mouth :sarcasm:

We teach them what to do with the ball and then they go on to score at an even better rate in the EPL :dunno:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not if you actually look at guys’ scoring rates…
Aubameyang, Modeste, Thuram, Nkunku (injuries though), Plea, Diaby, Haller, Kolo Muani, soon Guirassy....
Went from guys who didn't score much (more or less, depends on the player) in L1 against real Dmen then scored like crazy in Buli, then scored less when they left Buli.
Heck even Mateta who went red hot this year in EPL has scored less goals in more games.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Aubameyang, Modeste, Thuram, Nkunku (injuries though), Plea, Diaby, Haller, Kolo Muani, soon Guirassy....
Went from guys who didn't score much (more or less, depends on the player) in L1 against real Dmen then scored like crazy in Buli, then scored less when they left Buli.
Heck even Mateta who went red hot this year in EPL has scored less goals in more games.

And I’m sure when they get sold to England they’ll score at even better rates like everyone else does when they go to that league from the BuLi.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
And I’m sure when they get sold to England they’ll score at even better rates like everyone else does when they go to that league from the BuLi.
Just because you keep saying it doesn’t make it true

I assumed it was a bit for a long time and I’m now… uncertain

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
All the names I gave scored less in England.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The average BuLi game is more attractive and less ruined by attempts to neutralize each other than most other leagues tbf, so it'd make sense that scoring rates would be higher there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just because you keep saying it doesn’t make it true

I assumed it was a bit for a long time and I’m now… uncertain

It’s a joke that has gradually become reality as more and more players have scored at a better rate in England than they did in Germany.

But that makes sense when BuLi rejects like Akanji become top class CBs once they land in England and get to be compared to other epl defenders :sarcasm:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Right now when Haaland or KDB have an awful game (which has NOT been a rare occurrence), nobody cares because they're still winning. When you win 3-0 with Haaland missing two sitters, it's not even a talking point. Even when he sucks and he has a tapin goal, he's praised for it.
In previous clubs or with the NT, the pressure is much higher and when they don't deliver it becomes obvious.
Didn't win the FA Cup final!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad