Euro: Final - Spain v. England - July 14

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
And he'd be stupid to want it. Hyper-expectant public significantly overrating their player material. Media full of pundits and journos who did in fact have their formative years in the 80s and 90s and have those attitudes.

He's managed Liverpool for 8 or 9 years, it sounds like the perfect preparation for the England job by that basis.

The whole thing is kinda far-fetched either way. Klopp's name just gets thrown around because it's an easy way to generate clicks.

I agree that it's far-fetched but it does make some sense. I don't actually think he'd entertain it in reality but it's the kind of job that makes sense for him to take on if he wants a challenge. He broke Liverpool's title drought, can he do the same for England?

Reactions: Rob

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He's managed Liverpool for 8 or 9 years, it sounds like the perfect preparation for the England job by that basis.
Except Liverpool faithful would detest that move.
Not my words but to quote someone more local “Only England fans would go to Germany, sing songs about WW2, talk about how much they hate Scousers and how unpatriotic they are; and then beg for Klopp to take over”

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Klopp is going to be like the new Zidane where he gets linked to every job, no matter how unlikely it is. This is already the third NT I've seen him be suggested for.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Klopp would be an interesting appointment, but it's so out of touch with reality. He literally said he wants time off and I think that means he doesn't need/want pressure managing at the moment. To take the England job would be counter to everything he has said. It is so unlikely to happen that I can't really understand why it's being considered.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp would be an interesting appointment, but it's so out of touch with reality. He literally said he wants time off and I think that means he doesn't need/want pressure managing at the moment. To take the England job would be counter to everything he has said. It is so unlikely to happen that I can't really understand why it's being considered.
Adding to this. There is another super necessary international break around 50 days from now.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Mamadarshvili, Akanji, Guehi, Kimmich,Cucurella - F.Ruiz, Kroos - Olmo, Yamal, Williams - Gakpo

According to the article, this All star line-up is based on Opta stats, which are detailed for each player individually.

Of course an argument can be made for other players instead, but none of these players had a bad tournament, that much is clear.

Who was the team of Euro 2024? Williams, Yamal, Fabian, Guehi, Olmo, Gakpo

UEFA's official All star -team was announced too. No proper CF in that line-up, Musiala didn't play the position shown.

"Uefa team of the tournament: Mike Maignan (France); Kyle Walker (England), Manuel Akanji (Switzerland), William Saliba (France), Marc Cucurella (Spain); Daniel Olmo (Spain), Rodri (Spain), Fabian Ruiz (Spain); Lamine Yamal (Spain), Jamal Musiala (Germany), Nico Williams (Spain)"

Euro 2024: England's Kyle Walker named in team of tournament alongside six Spain players

I wonder if the trend continues even more into the direction that there won't be any more real CF focal points in the attack.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They tried hard to find an English player to put there. Walker is possibly the worst choice.
Saliba and Maignan make sense. Kounde had quite the competition and I'm usually one who dislikes him at RB.

Reactions: KJS14 and luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They tried hard to find an English player to put there. Walker is possibly the worst choice.
Saliba and Maignan make sense. Kounde had quite the competition and I'm usually one who dislikes him at RB.
Walker made it for Spain, not for England

Honestly the only England player with a decent shout is Stones but really they should have no one

• Haha
Reactions: KJS14 and Evilo

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Put Peak Fabregas in Manchester City, and he will score 20 goals a year if they leave him close to the penalty area, Fabregas in an Arsenal that was the third force in English football scored 15 goals and 15 assists in the Premier League, Before the injury that left him out of the last 6 Premier League games, he scored 4 goals in 5 games, His average this season was that of a Forward. Fabregas was of a much higher level than Rodri. Rodri's best season, which was 2023/24, in terms of numbers, is comparable to Fabregas' last season at a high level in 2016/17, 7 goals and 13 assists in 37, in 23/24 Rodri in 50 games score 9 goals And Distributed 13 Assists. Rodri is very good, but he doesn't hold a candle to the best Fabregas.

-Fabregas, who you’re saying In your hypothetical would play close to the penalty area, played a completely different role than Rodri does. Fabregas was a CM and even AM at times, Rodri is largely a DM.
-Those numbers are impressive, but stats don’t equal performance. Fabregas put up great numbers at Barca and wasn’t even a top 3 midfielder there. In fact, everyone I know, myself included, hated the fact we signed him in the first place one reason being because it took minutes away from Thiago.
-Again, stats don’t equal performance. Rodri has been a more influential player in his career than Fabregas was.

To say that Rodri doesn’t hold a candle to the best Fabregas is a ridiculous statement.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Seems to me that Rodri is underrated here as compared to some of the other guys. I’d definitely put him ahead of Cesc. IMO to have Rodri lower than 5th is wrong and possibly even lower than 4th is wrong.
Agreed. Xabi Alonso, Cesc, Silva... All great players but the impact of Rodri is bigger IMO. Frankly, and I've taken heat for saying this but I think at his peak he is a better player than Busquets, and that's not a slight on Busi but remarking how good Rodri is IMO

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Not my words but to quote someone more local “Only England fans would go to Germany, sing songs about WW2, talk about how much they hate Scousers and how unpatriotic they are; and then beg for Klopp to take over”

In this fictional world you've created, you're assuming this is all the same people doing all of these things? There's many camps in the England fandom, some sing WW2 songs and some find it absolutely tiresome, some dislike the Scouse attitude towards the English team and most would welcome Klopp. Klopp isn't a Scouser after all. He just managed them.

Except Liverpool faithful would detest that move.

Some, not all. Overall though, I honestly couldn't care less what Liverpool fans think about anything.

Sure, why not. Neither were anything special

I think the centre backs were easily the best part of England's tournament. We went there expecting to score plenty and concede plenty, it was the total opposite. Both Stones and Guehi played very well.

It'll be Howe. Would love Poch

I feel like it's destined to be Lee Carsley, and I don't actually hate it. If they're going for a company man, at least he's won something and he does play good football.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In this fictional world you've created, you're assuming this is all the same people doing all of these things? There's many camps in the England fandom, some sing WW2 songs and some find it absolutely tiresome, some dislike the Scouse attitude towards the English team and most would welcome Klopp. Klopp isn't a Scouser after all. He just managed them.

Some, not all. Overall though, I honestly couldn't care less what Liverpool fans think about anything.

I think the centre backs were easily the best part of England's tournament. We went there expecting to score plenty and concede plenty, it was the total opposite. Both Stones and Guehi played very well.

I feel like it's destined to be Lee Carsley, and I don't actually hate it. If they're going for a company man, at least he's won something and he does play good football.

England didn’t concede so little because their CBs were dominant. You conceded so little because Gareth was scared of letting anyone play football.

Reactions: luiginb and Savant

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
England didn’t concede so little because their CBs were dominant. You conceded so little because Gareth was scared of letting anyone play football.

He did that by playing defensively. For this to succeed, you need to defend well. Stones and Guehi were the furthest thing from a problem for England.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He did that by playing defensively. For this to succeed, you need to defend well. Stones and Guehi were the furthest thing from a problem for England.

There’s a bit of a gap between being a problem and special, no? You’re right, but so was the poster you quoted to disagree. Stones & Guehi were perfectly fine, nothing more, nothing less.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
There’s a bit of a gap between being a problem and special, no? You’re right, but so was the poster you quoted to disagree. Stones & Guehi were perfectly fine, nothing more, nothing less.

Each to their own, but i disagree. England had many problems but in my eyes (and that of many) they were a good defensive side and both Stones and Guehi played well throughout. The fullbacks were frequently a problem though, i was very surprised to see Walker make the TOTT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad