Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I hope he can keep this up. Remember he was 2 PPG in his first two months in the OHL last year...
Took him that long to figure out his line mates sucked.
Muhaha Emoticon

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
If he keeps a 2PPG the next 20 games, he's going to finish the year with 2 PPG. No wjc, no bad teammates and with one foot in the NHL, i doubt he's going to fumble it, too smart for that.
He's not going too.. but he'll still be a very, very good player for the Rocket this year.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
He is such a weird player to gauge. Very disappointing OHL career but strong U20 WJC showings. Strong pro camp at 18. Now he starts strong in the AHL.

I don’t recall a player having such a resume

Reactions: Hins77

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
He is such a weird player to gauge. Very disappointing OHL career but strong U20 WJC showings. Strong pro camp at 18. Now he starts strong in the AHL.

I don’t recall a player having such a resume
Starting in fire happen in the NHL and AHL for player from no where. I think we will have a better picture after 40 games. If he is under point per game at that time, it’s a bit underwhelming

• Haha
Reactions: Shutdown

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Starting in fire happen in the NHL and AHL for player from no where. I think we will have a better picture after 40 games. If he is under point per game at that time, it’s a bit underwhelming
It's very hard to be a ppg in the AHL as a rookie at 19-20 over a full season. Most players who can do that end up being top 6 player in the NHL.

Jason Robertson at 20 in the AHL : 47 points in 60 games.
Hintz at 20 in the AHL : 35 points in 70 games
JT Miller at 20 in the AHL : 43 points in 41 games
Nylander at 19 in the AHL : 45 points in 38 games
Filip Forsberg at 19 in the AHL : 34 points in 47 games

Last edited:

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013

Underwhelming? Essentially your expectations are either he's amongst the point leaders in the AHL or he's having a bad season?

You guys are something, poor guy is screwed with the fanbase. I hope he knows what he's up against.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Underwhelming? Essentially your expectations are either he's amongst the point leaders in the AHL or he's having a bad season?

You guys are something, poor guy is screwed with the fanbase. I hope he knows what he's up against.
It’s because if he is not producing point on a regular basis, he won’t be top 6 in the NHL. And good luck to be a bottom 6 at his size. I’m not expecting more with him or another prospect, but if he has a so-so year in the AHL, he fell in the category like no big hope.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Last year, only 10 players played 40 games with PPG. Similar to Mešár (age and size) were Logan Stankoven, Mavrik Bourque and Matt Coronato. If he can do it, he is in pretty good company.

Reactions: Hins77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't get why people are so focused strictly on point production. It isn't the most important thing for me at this point.
The most important thing for me is if we can match a Beck/Mesar duo against any line in the AHL and come out on top.
Having a shut down line who are also productive has been a main ingredient in many many championship winning teams.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I don't get why people are so focused strictly on point production. It isn't the most important thing for me at this point.
The most important thing for me is if we can match a Beck/Mesar duo against any line in the AHL and come out on top.
Having a shut down line who are also productive has been a main ingredient in many many championship winning teams.
Because Mesar is a playmaker. He needs to show he is a good passer and produce to step in the show. I don’t expect the same for Beck. Beck, he can get a good % on faceoff, reliable defensively, and i’m gonna be allright cause his profile looks like a bottom 6 player in the NHL. He needs his part of point, but not like Mesar

Reactions: SlyIslands

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Because Mesar is a playmaker. He needs to show he is a good passer and produce to step in the show. I don’t expect the same for Beck. Beck, he can get a good % on faceoff, reliable defensively, and i’m gonna be allright cause his profile looks like a bottom 6 player in the NHL. He needs his part of point, but not like Mesar
I don't see him cracking our top six which means he has to shine at other aspects of his game to be of use to us.
Like the 98% of the time he doesn't have the puck. Just an observation.

Reactions: morhilane

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The thing about Mesar is everyone's been solely looking at his stats and based their opinion on him. He didn't put up 70-80 pts in Junio? He's a bust.

But when he played at the WJC (a tournament a lot of people watch), they would praise him because they were actually watching him rather than basing his game off stats.

Mesar is someone you need to watch to appreciate what he brings. It won't always show up on the stat sheet. Even if he didn't have the 3 pts in 2 games, it wouldn't mean he's playing badly. In fact, he's looked good regardless of the goal and assissts.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The thing about Mesar is everyone's been solely looking at his stats and based their opinion on him. He didn't put up 70-80 pts in Junio? He's a bust.

But when he played at the WJC (a tournament a lot of people watch), they would praise him because they were actually watching him rather than basing his game off stats.

Mesar is someone you need to watch to appreciate what he brings. It won't always show up on the stat sheet. Even if he didn't have the 3 pts in 2 games, it wouldn't mean he's playing badly. In fact, he's looked good regardless of the goal and assissts.
Exactly which is why he needs to excel at multiple things.
I could see him as a depth player filling in top 6 but he's going to have to break in a major way to displace our projected top six.
I've always looked at role as being a major part of development. I mean his line could end up getting top six minutes without being considered top six.
We saw that with Eller Bourque and Gionta in the post season all those years ago. The third line is critical in a good team build.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't see him cracking our top six which means he has to shine at other aspects of his game to be of use to us.
Like the 98% of the time he doesn't have the puck. Just an observation.
Hockey is changing. It's no sin to have a scoring capability on your third, or even your 4th lines. It's early, but in his first two games in the world's supposedly second best league, Mesar has shown he has the speed, skill and chops to be a factor.

He'll play in the NHL for Montreal or some other team.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
His defensive game has improved so much, he's no longer top 6 or bust. On Davidson's goal, the kid made a terrific defensive play in his own end to take back the puck and then made a quick outlet up the ice to Beck, who sprung Davidson for the breakaway.

He's gotten a lot stronger, too.

I'm way more optimistic about this kid this year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
His defensive game has improved so much, he's no longer top 6 or bust. On Davidson's goal, the kid made a terrific defensive play in his own end to take back the puck and then made a quick outlet up the ice to Beck, who sprung Davidson for the breakaway.

He's gotten a lot stronger, too.

I'm way more optimistic about this kid this year.
Good to hear.

People forget that he was doing the ‘little things’ right in his first playoffs. Tenacious on the puck, effort levels etc. Getting praise for it too.

I think people are assuming he’s some prima Donna on skates. It’s all about putting it all together

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Do y’all think, now that Mesar is in Laval, that sometimes he calls Slaf to hang out, but then Slafs always like “sorry little bro, me and Cole are having tapas tonight, first line only” and that makes Mesar sad because he wishes he was one of the boys?
Makes sense since they only drafted him because he’s Slaf’s friend. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad