Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
no Beck can't go to Laval until the end of next season. Mesar that's a much tougher call, he's physical far from ready for the AHL but I do wonder if there was some sulking going on when he got sent to the OHL so how you handle that if true not saying it is or isn't but my hope would just be that the Habs would know and work with him on this if they are in fact improving a lot on development (as it's easy to say and harder to do)

I would lean towards lets see how his off-season goes (and playoffs now of course) and how he looks at camp and go from there.

If he's not physically ready for the AHL, maybe they could convince Kitchener to trade him to another OHL team, such as London.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Tbh honest, every critics we can have for Mesar could be because he didn't came in good shape in NA, much like Roy on his draft year. I suspect Slaf wasn't in great shape either, maybe Slovakia hockey is not focusing on off-ice conditioning.

• Wow
Reactions: jrom

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Next year, the Laval Rocket will be stacked with legitimate prospects for a future Habs contending core and supporting cast, including Mailloux, Struble, Farrell, Roy, and Heinemen, and arguably Mysak and Trudeau.

It makes sense for Mesar to be part of that group.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Tbh honest, every critics we can have for Mesar could be because he didn't came in good shape in NA, much like Roy on his draft year. I suspect Slaf wasn't in great shape either, maybe Slovakia hockey is not focusing on off-ice conditioning.
He played like 40 games a year over there with minimal travel in a small country.

Suddenly playing 72 games + traveling through north america will f*** you up.

This is why I'm against euro players making the jump to the pros right away unless they're generational or one notch below.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and Wats

Jul 6, 2016
I'm not panicking. Not at all. I think there are a few different thought processes.
1 is that the player is being treated unfairly.
Another is that that the player can't play.
I was playing Devil's advocate.
There is no black and white. Mesar is not living up to expectations. It's likely a combination of everything.
Also, don't forget about the fact that he's living in a new country just like Slafkovsky.
Judge him next year.
Kulich, too....

He played like 40 games a year over there with minimal travel in a small country.

Suddenly playing 72 games + traveling through north america will f*** you up.

This is why I'm against euro players making the jump to the pros right away unless they're generational or one notch below.
Mesar has played mainly in Southern Ontario this year. No big deal.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I think there may be an important point in what you're saying.
But I think it would be very different for Slaf, as opposed to Mesar.
Being Slovak, does not make them similar to each other. One
is very skinny, and the other is tall, and very husky. They should
not be training in a similar way.
But you could be right. Training could have played a role in
each case.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
No point in arguing right now, summer camp 2023 will tell us everything we need to know about where he's at with his development.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Kulich, too....

Mesar has played mainly in Southern Ontario this year. No big deal.
Yes there is an amusing difference in scale. Ontario is bigger
than most of eastern Europe. And Slovak Rep. is a very small
part of east Europe. European Russia is bigger. But nothing else
is as big as Ontario.
Travel, and playing, interfere with what Mesar needs to do to
develop as a pro . Mesar needs to get stronger. He should not
be concerned with scoring points in the OHL. If he is tired, and
doesn't do much in an OHL game,it could be his commitment
level is higher, and he is getting good advise. That is to say, he
understands what will make him a good NHL player. Maybe this
new management has hired people that can teach this.
Slaf is the opposite. Slaf needs reps on the ice. And if Slaf
shows up 5-7 lbs lighter in camp next Sept, I'm good with
that.

Reactions: themilosh

Jul 6, 2016
Yes there is an amusing difference in scale. Ontario is bigger
than most of eastern Europe. And Slovak Rep. is a very small
part of east Europe. European Russia is bigger. But nothing else
is as big as Ontario.
Travel, and playing, interfere with what Mesar needs to do to
develop as a pro . Mesar needs to get stronger. He should not
be concerned with scoring points in the OHL. If he is tired, and
doesn't do much in an OHL game,it could be his commitment
level is higher, and he is getting good advise. That is to say, he
understands what will make him a good NHL player. Maybe this
new management has hired people that can teach this.
Slaf is the opposite. Slaf needs reps on the ice. And if Slaf
shows up 5-7 lbs lighter in camp next Sept, I'm good with
that.
I wrote SOUTHERN Ontario (Only Sault-St-Marie, Sudbury or North bay are a bit North). You can go anywhere by bus within 5 to 6 hours, especially from Kitchener. Mesar's teamates are also in development. Language and culture might had been a bigger problem. But his biggest clallenges are mainly physical. The kid has to add muscle and pounds on that frame of his.

Reactions: DAChampion

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We start to talk about Mesar as if he's Josef Balej...or Sven Andrighetto....geez. He's great at backchecking. Bravo. It's hard to adapt. Wow...so how's Kulich's adaptation? We already start to talk about the other rounds to make up for the Mesar pick......

Kid is not done. Obviously. Far from it. But it's not looking good. And we could have done better if the same arguments we used for Slaf would have been used with Kulich. Instead of trying to get a pal to our No1 pick...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We start to talk about Mesar as if he's Josef Balej...or Sven Andrighetto....geez.
I think that's melodramatic.

Balej was before I paid much attention, but it seems like he was great for the Habs, he got traded for Kovalev.

Andrighetto was drafted in the third round as an overager. He was a different kind of prospect from Mesar. He wasn't good at back checking for one. But he was very good at offensively dominating the lower leagues, he just didn't have the skills to ever translate that to the NHL. And unlike other Habs prospects, he wasn't a victim of poor development or a million injuries. Andrighetto was usually healthy, he got lots of ice time, he got to dominate lower leagues, but he just didn't have high end skills.

His shot was NHL level, but that's all. He never stood out in terms of any of IQ, strength, skating, or defense.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think that's melodramatic.

Balej was before I paid much attention, but it seems like he was great for the Habs, he got traded for Kovalev.

Andrighetto was drafted in the third round as an overager. He was a different kind of prospect from Mesar. He wasn't good at back checking for one. But he was very good at offensively dominating the lower leagues, he just didn't have the skills to ever translate that to the NHL. And unlike other Habs prospects, he wasn't a victim of poor development or a million injuries. Andrighetto was usually healthy, he got lots of ice time, he got to dominate lower leagues, but he just didn't have high end skills.

His shot was NHL level, but that's all. He never stood out in terms of any of IQ, strength, skating, or defense.

Point is that we are already starting to hear people tampering the expectations as if he wasn't a 1st rounder or that he was in Europe and so on.....On that day, there were still quite a few very good prospects left. He wasn't the clear BPA at that time. So we go and choose a smallish forward who happens to be our No1 pick longtime friend. Those are just facts. It's a disappointing 1st year in NA. But he hasn't finished progressing. We will see year 2.

Reactions: themilosh

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Point is that we are already starting to hear people tampering the expectations as if he wasn't a 1st rounder or that he was in Europe and so on.....On that day, there were still quite a few very good prospects left. He wasn't the clear BPA at that time. So we go and choose a smallish forward who happens to be our No1 pick longtime friend. Those are just facts. It's a disappointing 1st year in NA. But he hasn't finished progressing. We will see year 2.
There's very rarely a clear BPA at 26. Once you get past the first few picks, unless a player falls, the difference between players is much smaller than the uncertainty in evaluation, so going BPA at 26 or 56 or whatever is not meaningful.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
It's normal to be disappointed about Mesar since he's not that good but he has some untapped potential. In a few years he might become good, but right-now on he should focus on being better than average and avoid being terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: catmanhabsfan

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Get him playing in Laval next year and let's see if Houle can change my mind about his coaching abilities. Mesar has to play pro hockey next year to develop.
Start Slfkovsky in Laval after selecting Dvorak at 5th to 7th OA and move up the entire line to the NHL after the trade deadline if that line is on fire in the AHL throughout the season. ;)

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Start Slfkovsky in Laval after selecting Dvorak at 5th to 7th OA and move up the entire line to the NHL after the trade deadline if that line is on fire in the AHL throughout the season. ;)
I'm actually a fan of sending Slaf in the AHL but it's unrealistic. Half of the Laval team is playing in Montreal this year and it's probably going to continue being that way in the next future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad