Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There's very rarely a clear BPA at 26. Once you get past the first few picks, unless a player falls, the difference between players is much smaller than the uncertainty in evaluation, so going BPA at 26 or 56 or whatever is not meaningful.
Obviously disagree with that. Lane Hutson was the BPA in the 2nd round for quite some time. Only the size made him fall. Jordan Dumais was BPA for some time too. Gallagher in his days. Though it's not always a sign that it will work, Corey Locke was also a BPA etc...but I prefer losing that way.

Point is that you still have to expect something out of 1st rounders. The day you don't do it 1 year after the draft is the day you can question the pick. Expecting some great backchecks is something I expect Cédric Guindon to do. Mesar was playing on a men's league. Some expected him to dominate the AHL or at the very least do what Kulich is doing. Now..he has a tough time playing a key offensive role in Juniors.

Call him the way you want, it has to be a dissapointing 1st year. Not writing him off yet. But wasn't a fan of the pick then. Clearly can't be a fan now. Then I look at Kulich year and wonder what the heck Lapointe-Bobrov were thinking.

Probably soon to mute the thread.. yet another HFBoards example of - find the next best player drafted after a prospect not performing to relative expectations and pretend that they were my BPA all along.

Yeah...that's me....PRETENDING.....And I put that out there EVEN THOUGH Mesar WILL improve. And could make me look to be wrong. Difference is that I don't care. It is what it will be. But one thing I'm not doing is pretending.....

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
It's normal to be disappointed about Mesar since he's not that good but he has some untapped potential. In a few years he might become good, but right-now on he should focus on being better than average and avoid being terrible.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Which game you watched and you dint like him?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's normal to be disappointed about Mesar since he's not that good but he has some untapped potential. In a few years he might become good, but right-now on he should focus on being better than average and avoid being terrible.

I can't say I agree from what i've seen of him this year, he's certainly flashed high end skill for sure, but the lack of consistency in terms of effort was a bit concerning. That said I saw similar things during Caufield's 1st NCAA season and said so on this board at the time. He wanted to turn pro that summer and MB said no, he went back to Wisconsin and the effort was way better and he dominated of course winning the Hobey.

I don't know Mesar and the one problem I had was I just hoped the Habs really felt he was BPA and not close to BPA and Slaf's buddy. I of course have no clue which is the case. I have wondered if he was perhaps sulking at least to some degree over not being in the AHL where he wanted. But we'll see what next season brings for him.

Probably soon to mute the thread.. yet another HFBoards example of - find the next best player drafted after a prospect not performing to relative expectations and pretend that they were my BPA all along.

After the KK threads, it's been much harder to spend time on the board as there don't seem to be many posters like us or it's just me getting old and like the south park episode "You're Getting Old" where everything stats to sound like shit to Stan.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
After the KK threads, it's been much harder to spend time on the board as there don't seem to be many posters like us or it's just me getting old and like the south park episode "You're Getting Old" where everything stats to sound like shit to Stan.

I read these boards because I appreciate insights from posters like you and a couple of others.

A few posters keep spewing the same drivel (bust, wrong pick, bad management) ad nauseam on some threads to the point where it becomes useless to read the thread. Even if I agree with some of the points, it just becomes noise with nothing new and I (and others I suspect) just stop participating and it feels like everyone “thinks the same”.

Anyway just wanted to take the time to let you know the silent majority enjoys your contribution to HF Habs !

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I read these boards because I appreciate insights from posters like you and a couple of others.

A few posters keep spewing the same drivel (bust, wrong pick, bad management) ad nauseam on some threads to the point where it becomes useless to read the thread. Even if I agree with some of the points, it just becomes noise with nothing new and I (and others I suspect) just stop participating and it feels like everyone “thinks the same”.

Anyway just wanted to take the time to let you know the silent majority enjoys your contribution to HF Habs !

thanks, I put in a shit load of time in making vids so that posters can be more informed and not have to spend 2 hours or so per game doing so. It would be cool if more posters would watch as it does suck when you spend time and energy and it gets maybe 200 views.

That's a good point on some posters just repeating things over and over and over, when you don't have time to read through so many pages of it. On the other hand it is cool that we have such a passionate and large fan base, some though might want to take some time off here and there to find things that bring them more joy as life is short.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On the other hand it is cool that we have such a passionate and large fan base, some though might want to take some time off here and there to find things that bring them more joy as life is short.
Excellent observation. I've taken the decision a few years ago not to read extra lengthy posts for that reason.

If I'm going to make a commitment to read long dissertations, I'd rather take time off the site and read a book.

Agreed on our fan base, they are definitely passionate.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

This is pretty much it.

It might be because I'm getting older, but I'm tired of having to sift through pages of garbage for the odd post about how the player actually performs by people who watch him play.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Wow reading some of the comments in here....guess it's par for the course around here to write off a prospect after 1 season lol

Not everyone who gets drafted in the first round has a dominant first season in the minors. Jesus some of you have insane expectations. Also I prefer to have someone who takes the time necessary to develop over someone who peaks early!

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Despite the lackluster production, that shot assist/60 stat should open some eyes a bit. That's pretty impressive and along with the slot passes shows he is still creating chances and offense at a high rate.

Some of us don't understand this numbers. Can you please explain it to us?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Shot Assists is a proxy for playmaking ability -- it means passes which lead to shots on goal. If he has a very high Shot Assists/60 figure it means he's generating a lot of shooting opportunities for his line-mates.

Or that his linemates are shooting a lot.

Reactions: SOLR

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not really, you cannot bend statistics on full season. He also changed his linemates a lot, so it is 95% credit to Mešár.

It's not bending anything to say that if you play with someone who will take any old shooting opportunity that your ''shot assists'' will go up.

Reactions: SOLR

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Not gonna lie, wanted Kulich badly at the time (too lazy to dig my old posts, but that's beside the point), Mesar I thought would go early 2nd, but it was kind of blurry anyway at that point, many players with similar type of potential, so I didn't mind Mesar at all, still don't cause it's still very early in his development, saw him more as a complimentary winger than a playdriver like Kulich, but we needed skill (still do), and he's skilled,

Did I expect Mesar to dominate this year ? Yes.
Am I disappointed, especially compared to what Kulich did this season ? Yes.
Am I throwing the towel on Mesar cause of that ? Absolutely not.

Will always hope the best for all the prospects in our organization, I mean, I still have hopes Gordin figures how to develop everything else than his shot, so yeah, I hope Mesar dominate next year, that it simply was a learning experience playing NA hockey, simple as that.

Next.

Habbietat

Jul 1, 2022
Mesars passing ability became evident to me when he passed off a check to score and tie the game against Canada at the wjc. Hes very slick and has good hands, definitely not someone I would rag on at this point in his development, could see him becoming a good possession player, good in tight spaces

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Excellent observation. I've taken the decision a few years ago not to read extra lengthy posts for that reason.

If I'm going to make a commitment to read long dissertations, I'd rather take time off the site and read a book.

Agreed on our fan base, they are definitely passionate.
So I assume you haven't read any of the elegant works by our @Scriptor

• Haha
Reactions: Belial

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
thanks, I put in a shit load of time in making vids so that posters can be more informed and not have to spend 2 hours or so per game doing so. It would be cool if more posters would watch as it does suck when you spend time and energy and it gets maybe 200 views.

That's a good point on some posters just repeating things over and over and over, when you don't have time to read through so many pages of it. On the other hand it is cool that we have such a passionate and large fan base, some though might want to take some time off here and there to find things that bring them more joy as life is short.

When I made prospect videos like 10+ years ago (LOL the time flew), the most views I got was from Habs websites/blogs embedding them. Have any Habs sites reached out to you regarding the prospect videos? Might be able to partner up with some of the Habs sites and add to their prospect section. Not sure they will pay you though, the offers I got back in the day were not worth it.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
When I made prospect videos like 10+ years ago (LOL the time flew), the most views I got was from Habs websites/blogs embedding them. Have any Habs sites reached out to you regarding the prospect videos? Might be able to partner up with some of the Habs sites and add to their prospect section. Not sure they will pay you though, the offers I got back in the day were not worth it.

I've seen more than few articles using his videos.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

i've had TVA sports and some others use my vids in their articles from time to time

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Not gonna lie, wanted Kulich badly at the time (too lazy to dig my old posts, but that's beside the point), Mesar I thought would go early 2nd, but it was kind of blurry anyway at that point, many players with similar type of potential, so I didn't mind Mesar at all, still don't cause it's still very early in his development, saw him more as a complimentary winger than a playdriver like Kulich, but we needed skill (still do), and he's skilled,

Did I expect Mesar to dominate this year ? Yes.
Am I disappointed, especially compared to what Kulich did this season ? Yes.
Am I throwing the towel on Mesar cause of that ? Absolutely not.

Will always hope the best for all the prospects in our organization, I mean, I still have hopes Gordin figures how to develop everything else than his shot, so yeah, I hope Mesar dominate next year, that it simply was a learning experience playing NA hockey, simple as that.

Next.
Yeah I think there's perfectly fine reasons to be worried. There seems to be enough mitigating circumstances (coming over to NA, crazy team dynamic, etc.) where I'm fairly agnostic on him right now but a bit worried.

He absolutely needs a huge year next year though. No ifs ands or buts.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah I think there's perfectly fine reasons to be worried. There seems to be enough mitigating circumstances (coming over to NA, crazy team dynamic, etc.) where I'm fairly agnostic on him right now but a bit worried.

He absolutely needs a huge year next year though. No ifs ands or buts.
In Laval, though, right?

Reactions: Skala24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad