Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Not sure who you told what, but I wasn't part of it.
I just simply said the kid oozes talent.....................but since I have been around forever, so did Corey Locke.....and to a man, we were all shocked he couldn't bring it.....

With all of our picks, there is a wait and see, but Mesar sure looks good.
Good post. I think I may have been around longer. I remember when the late Al Langlois Jr. was the great future hope on defence . And let's not forget Fran Huck or Bobby Sheehan. Very few prospects reach their promised potential. While others surpass expectations. There is an unmistakable element of luck involved. But with Slafkovsky, Beck, Mailloux, Hutson and Mesar I think the future is brighter than it has been in over 30 years.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I can understand the reasonning for him being in the OHL. It's the best decision 90% of the time for guys in his situation, with his size.

What I'm weary of is that highly adaptive guys like Mesar always slow down or speed up to adjust to the requirements of their environment. I'm afraid that, as time goes by, he will slow down his pace and decision-making.

I haven't watched him in the OHL outside of a few clips and highlights, so this is just an uninformed opinion. I can say that the pattern we've seen in the small sample size (if there is a pattern) is moving along that direction right now. First few games in the OHL, his brain is still working at NHL camp/AHL speed. The results follow. Next few games, brain slows down to the requirements of the game, his play starts to "fit-in" (if that makes any sense for you).

Sample size is extremely small, so that remains to be seen whether it will the case or not. We'll see in a few months, but I just wanted to put this out there as a clue to add to the equation aside from the usual assessments like "see, he wasn't ready for the AHL as he's still got a lot to learn in juniors" or "he's killing it, too good for juniors".

Maybe people who regularly watch him can tell us, as the year progresses, if his play "slows down" or not.

The issue that I see with him is that he has much more space and time than he is willing to use. I view him adapting to the OHL as a positive thing, it gives him opportunity to explore all his offensive gifts, not just his speed and counter attacking game.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
The issue that I see with him is that he has much more space and time than he is willing to use. I view him adapting to the OHL as a positive thing, it gives him opportunity to explore all his offensive gifts, not just his speed and counter attacking game.
Perhaps you're right. Time will tell. I don't want him to slow down and use all the time he has though, because he will get used to that and when he'll be back in the pros, he's going to need to adapt again to less time and space.

I've seen this in athletes in various sports before. Not a lot, but a few who seemed to be wired like that. Usually highly adaptive individuals who seem to adapt naturally to any environment.

The key to mitigate that is first and foremost awareness. Coaches and people responsible for his development need to make him conscious of that danger first. You then set goals and measures on a daily basis to actively work on pace and decision speed, like MSL is trying to do at practice with the Habs right now.

Sure, his adaptiveness will probably allow him to speed up again once he's back in the pros. But why allow this to creep in and go through the whole speeding up process again once he turns pro? You want development to move forward as much as possible, not backwards and then forward again.

The OHL will allow him more opportunities to work on offensive skills. For players with raw or average skills, it's highly valuable time. However, with the skills he already has, I value the development of his brain more than his skills, because that will ensure a faster and more durable way to success in the NHL.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Mesar with the first shot/ first chance of the night

wow and with another sick play, unfortunatly he doesnt have teamates at his level to capitalize on the chances he's creating

lol Mesar is a league above the OHL, huge waste of time for him.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
any one knows why Mesar isnt playing with the best kitchener players? The players he's playing are playing like they are drunk

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

In this video we see his hockey IQ and his great hands. Can't wait to see him in MTL... this guy have such high offensive potential.

He always asks for the puck by hitting the ice with his stick. I think that he's a me/myself/and I ; Habs should hire Michel Therrien to teach him to be a better person. :teach:
:biglaugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Mesar with the first shot/ first chance of the night

wow and with another sick play, unfortunatly he doesnt have teamates at his level to capitalize on the chances he's creating

lol Mesar is a league above the OHL, huge waste of time for him.

No player at 18 years old is wasting his time in Juniors..no one.

Even Mario Lemieux himself. ( born in October) played in Juniors at 18 and did 282 points...and he said that he was glad to play that year in the Juniors because he worked on his offensive skills a lot that year.

Mesar is not too good for the OHL...even Slafkovski..would be.good for him to play 25 minutes a game there.

Filip Mesar at 18 is not better than Nick Suzuki was at 18...and..19..innthe Ohl.

Is Suzuki was brought up too late in the NHL??hell no. He had to work on the time and space.

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
No player at 18 years old is wasting his time in Juniors..no one.

Even Mario Lemieux himself. ( born in October) played in Juniors at 18 and did 282 points...and he said that he was glad to play that year in the Juniors because he worked on his offensive skills a lot that year.

Mesar is not too good for the OHL...even Slafkovski..would be.good for him to play 25 minutes a game there.

Filip Mesar at 18 is not better than Nick Suzuki was at 18...and..19..innthe Ohl.

Is Suzuki was brought up too late in the NHL??hell no. He had to work on the time and space.
did you watch the game tonight?

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
did you watch the game tonight?
An 18 years old dont waste his time in the juniors.

Get back to me when he will have 4 points per game..

Mcdavid played 1/2 season at 18 in the OHL..and he did not wasted his time.

Lemieux..an entire year.

Sakic, Getzlaf, Carter, Suzuki etc etc..

Thousands of example..and Mesar is not better at all than those guys above.

Perfect place for him

Reactions: Wats and jrom

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I just watched the third period and he made a lot of mistakes. I really like this prospect but the OHL is perfect for him to prepare for the NHL.

Sure he does make mistakes without the puck but offensively with the puck he's near perfect. What i noticed is that he doesn't have good chemistry with his teamates, i think the communication on the ice is off and i think they under use him. He should be the playmaker and the guy with the puck all the time, they're not doing that. He created alot of great chances out of nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: NotProkofievian

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Sure he does make mistakes without the puck but offensively with the puck he's near perfect. What i noticed is that he doesn't have good chemistry with his teamates, i think the communication on the ice is off and i think they under use him. He should be the playmaker and the guy with the puck all the time, they're not doing that. He created alot of great chances out of nothing.
So how’s the 200 point season going?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Mesar has very little supporting cast, Pinelli and Rehkopf are not fast, talended and smart enough to process the game at Mesar's level, thats very frustrating to watch... Starting to think he is losing his time there, the pace is way too slow for him.

Pinelli and Rehkopf are exactly the type of players I want to avoid at the drafts, I would ratther gamble on euros that can skate.

Reactions: Bombshell11

Ad

Ad

Ad