Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Wah wah what about Kulich.

Writing off Mesar after being a PPG in his first CHL season is one of the most ridiculous movements I’ve seen on this board.
With his mediocre stats in the OHL last year and his average performance at rookie camp, no one (except the liars) was happy with Mesar and Kulich had impressive stats and performances in a man's league (AHL) .I would have still preferred Kulich to Mesar but I am very relieved to see this prospect wake up and have such statistics.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
This isn't even remotely true. Kitchener fans have been praising Rehkopf all year and praising his pro-ready tools in a way pinelli never was talked about. Mesar on the other hand is a guy who plays a cute game that doesn't project as well against pro players.

PPG isn't an argument when Mesar joined a team already firing on all cylinders. If you look at their PPG only in the games they've played together there is no difference. Let mesar play 11 games without Rehkopf and he likely has the same or lesser PPG. They literally both had 18 points in their last 10 and 4 (Mesar) and 5 (Rehkopf) points tonight so far. They're playing at the exact same pace together.

Hunter Brzustewicz is Also amazing.39 pts in 22 games for a defenseman…​

Reactions: badfish

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
both have played together last year, that helps for sure

but no, Mesar is better than both players, he was last year where his ppg was lower than Pineli's and higher than Rehkopf's

Rehkopf has definitly improved alot, im not trying to knock him down but he's not at the same level offensively as Mesar and it showed tonight in some plays where again he couldn't convert nice wide open shots.
Im a huge Mesar fan as well, but Rehkopf has become a pretty legit prospect too, I wasnt that much of a fan last year, but this year he is easily one of the most improved prospects from the last draft, his hands/reach combo is amazing, he is much more combative and active than he was, less pucks loss ect. That coaching change has been beneficial for everyone. Both Rehkopf and Mesar have reached another level. Swick has become a great complement to that line too.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
With his mediocre stats in the OHL last year and his average performance at rookie camp, no one (except the liars) was happy with Mesar and Kulich had impressive stats and performances in a man's league (AHL) .I would have still preferred Kulich to Mesar but I am very relieved to see this prospect wake up and have such statistics.
f***, was that me ?

Looks too well put together to be me

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Antonio Pugliese scored 4 goals and was 1st star to Mesar’s 2nd star. Did we draft Pugliese?

No!! I am a Rangers STH and no way Pugliese gets drafted. He is undersized, has a motor that never quits and a mouth that runs non stop. He even had a Gordie Howe hat trick last week. It all sounds great but he has very little skill and gets by on his work ethic.

One could say he is like a Brendan Gallagher but for every Gallagher there are MANY gritty undersized players who don’t come close to making it. If you want to go for an undrafted Kitchener Ranger then go for Swick, Sop or Miseljevic.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I was at the game tonight and just after the national anthem a bunch of Kitchener players are pointing out someone up in the crowd. I turn around to see who they were all pointing to and acknowledging. Their was someone holding a big Slovakia flag.

He is much more engaged offensively this year than last. He will always be a pass first player but this year he has been looking to shoot more. He is skating the puck into the slot and towards the net way more than last year. I’d be willing to bet that the vast majority of his assists are primary assists.

Is Mesar still a C?

I see on HockeyDB has him as a RW.
Pretty much a RW. He will take the odd face off but he primarily is a winger. His center is Carson Rehkopf and he is leading the OHL in goals and points.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's nice to see Mesar doing what he's doing. But on a stacked team in his D+2 year, it's not dispositive proof he'll be a top sixer.

Again this is all nice. But what it really does is make me want to see what he'll do next year and the year after in the AHL.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Sure. But if he wasn’t keeping up, we’d be very concerned. Which begs the question, what are we expecting from Mesar this year?

String offensive production while making concerted strides in other areas of his game that are in line with what the Habs have asked him to focus on.

A bonus would be that he's keeping up a solid strength development regiment.

stenlis

Feb 23, 2010
I did some number crunching. Here is a list of player who at 19yo posted at least 1.9 PPG while playing min 20 games in the OHL in the last 10 years:
Christian Dvorak (LOL, he had Mitch Marner and Matt Tkatchuk on his line, but he had the most points out of the three)
Kevin Labanc (was 20yo)
Dylan Strome
Alex Debrincat
Jordan Kyrou
Jason Robertson
Jan Jenik
Brandt Clarke

A couple of observations:
1) It's not that easy to sustain around 2.0 PPG in the OHL, even for 19 year olds, only a handful have managed that.
2) Players that manage that seem to make it in the NHL, Clarke is still just 20 and he's posting a PPG in the AHL now. Jenik seems to be the only fluke but he's still young.
3) Dvorak is about the floor you can expect from a player who posted 2.0 ppg in the OHL
4) Robertson and Kyrou seem to be the ceiling you can expect - a point per game NHL player.
5) Mesar has not played 20 games yet, but I'd bet he'll sustain his output

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's nice to see Mesar doing what he's doing. But on a stacked team in his D+2 year, it's not dispositive proof he'll be a top sixer.

Again this is all nice. But what it really does is make me want to see what he'll do next year and the year after in the AHL.
He'll likely revert to being a pass first forward as he switches leagues and needs to establish himself there. Then, he'll start adding more shooting to his game again. Rinse and repeat if he makes it to the NHL...

Reactions: 26Mats and Habsrule

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Mesar played 11 games, if you prorate his stats to 22, he'll be tied no1 scorer of the league, 0 penalties, 18 pts on the PP which would be 6 more pts than the best PP performers on his team.

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 5.26.56 AM.png

he can do better, there's still room for improvement on his side, I think the next 11 games will tell us if he's got another gear he's not tapping into... i think him getting closer to 2.5 PPG is not impossible, not sure for the entire season but we'll see. What they're doing in Kitchener is historic

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 5.44.39 AM.png

Not that many in this list are under 5.10' and play wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomee and Jaynki

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I did some number crunching. Here is a list of player who at 19yo posted at least 1.9 PPG while playing min 20 games in the OHL in the last 10 years:
Christian Dvorak (LOL, he had Mitch Marner and Matt Tkatchuk on his line, but he had the most points out of the three)
Kevin Labanc (was 20yo)
Dylan Strome
Alex Debrincat
Jordan Kyrou
Jason Robertson
Jan Jenik
Brandt Clarke

A couple of observations:
1) It's not that easy to sustain around 2.0 PPG in the OHL, even for 19 year olds, only a handful have managed that.
2) Players that manage that seem to make it in the NHL, Clarke is still just 20 and he's posting a PPG in the AHL now. Jenik seems to be the only fluke but he's still young.
3) Dvorak is about the floor you can expect from a player who posted 2.0 ppg in the OHL
4) Robertson and Kyrou seem to be the ceiling you can expect - a point per game NHL player.
5) Mesar has not played 20 games yet, but I'd bet he'll sustain his output
Thanks for this! That’s some rather good company. More hits than misses.

So >1.9ppg is notable and exceptional. Let’s hope Mešar continues to thrive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad