Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
It's definitely nice to see a case where a SKILL forward is put in a position to exploit his SKILL. I think the simplest development method is this one: put them in a position to succeed and build their game off their strengths. The BergevinTherrienTimmins Habs would seem to insist on building players off their weakest facet and it never lead to greatness. Mesar being allowed to dominate the OHL is a completely different approach and I hope to see it as a case study in success in the very near future.

No comment here on the development of the other Slovak in our organization.
You're dragging up awful memories. The amount of times I recall us drafting a skilled player only for management to make comments about how the prospect needs to focus on the defensive side or something else would infuriate me. Player XYZ is an extremely good skater with fast hands and good playmaking, let's focus the next 3-5 years of development trying to force them to become a 30 point two-way player who plays da right way. Why draft a prospect for their strengths if you only ever focus on weaknesses.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You're dragging up awful memories. The amount of times I recall us drafting a skilled player only for management to make comments about how the prospect needs to focus on the defensive side or something else would infuriate me. Player XYZ is an extremely good skater with fast hands and good playmaking, let's focus the next 3-5 years of development trying to force them to become a 30 point two-way player who plays da right way. Why draft a prospect for their strengths if you only ever focus on weaknesses.
Yet another trivial analysis of the development process to marginalize any workout on making a player a more complete player.

It's obvious from reading countless posts oaths subject that the average fan needs to have something gift-wrapped in the simplest of approaches to understand somewhat how development works.

At some point, unless a player produces 300 points a season and spends 99.99% of his time on ice in the O-zone (one of the most effective defensive stratagems ever), he needs to be at least somewhat defensively responsible to justify his ice time to the level you would need it to be to benefit from his offensive acumen.

The easiest concept to understand when it comes to this is that of the offensive player's need to play with a positive goal differential when he is on the ice to be valuable to the team.

You score 27 goals, with 20 minutes of ice time a game, including 13 goals the PP, but your line has a negative goal differential where it give up 36 goals more than you score, at even strength, on the PP, or on the PK..

While I'd still use you on the PP, hoping you will score goals there endnote give up that many, I'd have a serious problem handing out even strength minutes toy like candy.

The key about working on a player's defensive game, when they are an offensive players to get them a level where their defensive game is at least not a major handicap. That way, giving them more ice time will only come with a greater positive goal differential that will increase the odds of winning games.

There's nothing worse than talented offensive players that need sheltered minutes with strictly O-Zone draws, PP minutes, game situations that aren't as crucial, etc...

Working on a player's defensive game also serves to help increase puck touches and puck recovery to initiate transitions to offense and lead to more scoring opportunities.

Working on a player's defensive game isn't limited to only working on D.

A better D-game will lead to increased ice time and more opportunities to rack up more points.

Choosing to describe the situation as such, to minimize its importance, is either a bad faith observation or a lack of understanding.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Expecting at least a 1.25 ppg pace so he's currently well beyond that.

He also seems like mostly a rush player and not too interested in using his body to win/keep possession. So if you're mostly a perimeter softie, point production is not an option.
I’m not sure what the criticism is here. Is he not producing?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think 2PPG in D+2 in the OHL isn't particularly noteworthy but those of us who said "let him cook!" are quietly pleased to see sincere progress in his effectiveness as a hockey player. Maybe he'll never amount to much in the NHL, but he's not on the wrong track.
So, would 3 points per game be somewhat noteworthy? 4 PPG and we're suddenly starting to talk, now?

I think it's safe to say that getting 2PPG, even in the D+2 season as a 19-yr-old is noteworthy.

Unless you're implying it's all the rage and just about every player is a 2PPG player at that stage in their development?

Seriously...

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yet another trivial analysis of the development process to marginalize any workout on making a player a more complete player.

It's obvious from reading countless posts oaths subject that the average fan needs to have something gift-wrapped in the simplest of approaches to understand somewhat how development works.

At some point, unless a player produces 300 points a season and spends 99.99% of his time on ice in the O-zone (one of the most effective defensive stratagems ever), he needs to be at least somewhat defensively responsible to justify his ice time to the level you would need it to be to benefit from his offensive acumen.

The easiest concept to understand when it comes to this is that of the offensive player's need to play with a positive goal differential when he is on the ice to be valuable to the team.

You score 27 goals, with 20 minutes of ice time a game, including 13 goals the PP, but your line has a negative goal differential where it give up 36 goals more than you score, at even strength, on the PP, or on the PK..

While I'd still use you on the PP, hoping you will score goals there endnote give up that many, I'd have a serious problem handing out even strength minutes toy like candy.

The key about working on a player's defensive game, when they are an offensive players to get them a level where their defensive game is at least not a major handicap. That way, giving them more ice time will only come with a greater positive goal differential that will increase the odds of winning games.

There's nothing worse than talented offensive players that need sheltered minutes with strictly O-Zone draws, PP minutes, game situations that aren't as crucial, etc...

Working on a player's defensive game also serves to help increase puck touches and puck recovery to initiate transitions to offense and lead to more scoring opportunities.

A better D-game will lead to increased ice time and more opportunities to rack up more points.

Choosing to describe the situation as such, to minimize its importance, is either a bad faith observation or a lack of understanding.
Obviously — and this should go without saying — we are aware that a hockey player needs a collectively acceptable game.

What we’re remembering is how the Habs over-emphasized two way play in all their forward prospects before the otherwise skilled prospects even developed their authentic, instinctive game.

Now if you’re going to rant and rave about how we’re unfair to the endlessly bad Bergevin regime I think we should cut the discussion off right there. You would have little evidence to support the notion the Habs did anything right with skill prospects during that managerial regime.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
So, would 3 points per game be somewhat noteworthy? 4 PPG and we're suddenly starting to talk, now?

I think it's safe to say that getting 2PPG, even in the D+2 season as a 19-yr-old is noteworthy.

Unless you're implying it's all the rage and just about every player is a 2PPG player at that stage in their development?

Seriously...
Is it safe to say? Are you certain?

Calm down.

D+2 vs D year, you see higher production in the drafted D+2s than what you see from D-year prospects. So it’s not something to get caught up on. The game is different in Juniors. Over-emphasis (there is that word again) on production of overagers in the CHL is fool’s gold.

Mešar is doing well and that’s a good thing in and of itself. He’s still a teenager in a new country, etc. the fact that he’s actually playing his skill game now is what will positively influence his development. More than elsewhere, the high production is a product of his ability to play his game.

Reactions: Don D

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016

I don't know how you read my comment and assumed I'm too stupid to realize that there can exist a scenario wherein an offensive player is such a liability that their negatives outweigh the production. I'm a fellow Habs fan bud, we just went through watching great examples in Drouin, Hoffman, and Dadonov.

I'm specifically complaining about the seeming long held development strategy in Montreal of hyper focusing on mitigating weaknesses with almost no focus on isolating and improving strengths. Development isn't just about rounding out a player, it's also about accentuating the facets of their game that made them draft worthy in the first place.

That said, this is the Mesar thread and we're starting to deviate a bit too much.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't know how you read my comment and assumed I'm too stupid to realize that there can exist a scenario wherein an offensive player is such a liability that their negatives outweigh the production. I'm a fellow Habs fan bud, we just went through watching great examples in Drouin, Hoffman, and Dadonov.

I'm specifically complaining about the seeming long held development strategy in Montreal of hyper focusing on mitigating weaknesses with almost no focus on isolating and improving strengths. Development isn't just about rounding out a player, it's also about accentuating the facets of their game that made them draft worthy in the first place.

That said, this is the Mesar thread and we're starting to deviate a bit too much.
"I'm specifically complaining about the seeming long held development strategy in Montreal of hyper focusing on mitigating weaknesses with almost no focus on isolating and improving strengths"

I just don't see that with the Hughes-lead team and harping on Bergevin and prior failures is a useless endeavour, IMO.

Complaining about things that have no present bearing might be fun for some and, perhaps,weshould start a thread for such complaints if there is a high enough demand.

I don't think you're too stupid to realize the scenario I described and that you experienced as a Hab fan, but you wrote your post sounding like you are by trivializing the whole development process. You also forgot Galchenyuk as a prime example, and Souray who scored tons as a D, but was on the ice for more score against us.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Mesar deniers be like uhh umm must have been the uhhhh
He's better than he showed last year and is quickly reasserting himself in the top 10 of our prospect list. It should be noted the best player in the OHL is on his line though and his team has the top 3 spots in league scoring with another in the top 10 before you even get to Mesar.

Kitchener are easily the best team in the league and were even before Mesar was sent down. That is to say he is not driving the team forward, though he is a heavy contributor.

Still, I will happily eat crow if Mesar becomes an NHL player of any significance.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
He's better than he showed last year and is quickly reasserting himself in the top 10 of our prospect list. It should be noted the best player in the OHL is on his line though and his team has the top 3 spots in league scoring with another in the top 10 before you even get to Mesar.

Kitchener are easily the best team in the league and were even before Mesar was sent down. That is to say he is not driving the team forward, though he is a heavy contributor.

Still, I will happily eat crow if Mesar becomes an NHL player of any significance.

Man... Rehkopf? what are you saying dude...

Don't look at stats and try to pretend you know what you're talking about. Rehkopf is maybe just a little bit better than Pinelli

Pineli's projected season this year:

ProjectedAHL706612

The best player on Mesar's line is Mesar... by far. He's a better PPG

just watch him play man, its tiring trying to argue with people who just follow stats sheets

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Not watching the game, but a quick stat check shows a hattie with the third period left to play tonight. Good to see him add some goal scoring to his torrid pace.

Reactions: HankyZetts

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Mesar wasn't my first pick there (Hutson was, things work out sometimes - otherwise Firkus would have been) but I'm really happy to see he's progressing. Maybe he can be our Marchessault

Reactions: Nevins and Don D

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Don't look at stats and try to pretend you know what you're talking about. Rehkopf is maybe just a little bit better than Pinelli

ProjectedAHL706612

just watch him play man, its tiring trying to argue with people who just follow stats sheets
This isn't even remotely true. Kitchener fans have been praising Rehkopf all year and praising his pro-ready tools in a way pinelli never was talked about. Mesar on the other hand is a guy who plays a cute game that doesn't project as well against pro players.

PPG isn't an argument when Mesar joined a team already firing on all cylinders. If you look at their PPG only in the games they've played together there is no difference. Let mesar play 11 games without Rehkopf and he likely has the same or lesser PPG. They literally both had 18 points in their last 10 and 4 (Mesar) and 5 (Rehkopf) points tonight so far. They're playing at the exact same pace together.

Reactions: Nevins

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

ProjectedAHL706612

Dont be ridiculous, both have been great and show great chimestry, both are much better prospects than Pinelli who drove me crazy last year.

Reactions: Nevins

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Dont be ridiculous, both have been great and show great chimestry, both are much better prospects than Pinelli who drove me crazy last year.

both have played together last year, that helps for sure

but no, Mesar is better than both players, he was last year where his ppg was lower than Pineli's and higher than Rehkopf's

Rehkopf has definitly improved alot, im not trying to knock him down but he's not at the same level offensively as Mesar and it showed tonight in some plays where again he couldn't convert nice wide open shots.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mesar right now to anyone who ragged on him and Habs for selecting him:

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad