Fighting has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I dont really care if fighting is in or out, but what you say (bolded) isnt at all any justification for anything. If two guys had a stick fight at center ice, people would stand and yell....if you gave them each a bat and they went at it, the they would all stand and yell.....give them bows and arrows to launch at each other, they would stand up and yell. The point is....violence sells. Same reason why people root for car wrecks in NASCAR.

Just say you think its cool to watch people fight....thats more honest. Who cares if everyone stand up....thats not the benchmark.

lmao, I wasn’t justifying anything, I was addressing his calling me and the millions like me Neanderthals. I literally said I enjoy watching fights through that whole post.

As for the “benchmark,” fighting has its place and it always has. From Touch my guy and I’ll bust you up to two grown men competing hard losing their tempers. Fighting is literally in every sport, hockey just hands out 5 minute penalties and instigators instead of ejections…but those ejections don’t curb the fights. Ever.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
You can usually tell who hasn't actually played hockey before. Sure I was always one of the most sportsmanlike players on the ice and I never had an on ice fight and basically only played where fighting would get you kicked out of the game. But in the heat of the game at the right moment, in the right situation, fighting is required. Should there be staged fighting? No. Should prospects have to feel like they need to fight to get noticed in the preseason? No. If someone takes liberties with McJeebus, should Kassian be aloud to jump in and teach the opposing player some respect? Oh hell yes. The problem is that since Bettman took over the league, he has implemented rules that encourage staged fights and discourages players from defending their teammates. Should we ever get back to the stick swinging, bench clearing brawls of the 70's? Of course not, but if the rules and the expectations change to a more defensive mindset, there would be less fighting in general, but more meaningful and necessary fights. But that's just my opinion.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Ive got a solution. Give everybody on the ice a glock. That'll make them think twice about playing dirty or throwing a punch.

God damn im so f***ing smart

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
So do we ban skates because Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednik got their throat slashed by skates? and Mikyehev got his wrist slashed Do we ban sticks because Marian Hossa nearly ended Bryan Berard's career? Do we ban the entire sport because Jay Boumester and Jiri Fishcer had heart attacks on the bench? Do we ban hitting because Scott Stevens existed?

Shit happens we can't ban something every time it does
What a stupid response.

Your correct in saying that some things we have no control over and shit happens. Fighting in a hockey game is not one of those things. It is 100% preventable

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Absolutely not. Ice is slippery.

But yes, let us continue deteriorating our sport for the outspoken minority of fans as they resurface at every opportunity.

The new crosschecking threshold is more than enough for one season of entertainment decline. Let us leave fighting for a bit longer.

Reactions: CSKA1974

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I get the concern but the traditionalist in me would hate to see fighting go. It’s been such a staple of hockey culture for so long, it’d feel like part of the sport died. I don’t make the rules or play the sport but as a fan, I don’t want it to go.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Fighting and hard hits are a large draw for people. I am okay with removing the staged fights and fights over every hard hit. However, it may be better to get out the bad blood in a fight than have someone running around the ice trying to kill someone against the boards.
You could do something against boarding as well, or charging or... The rules are rihht there in the book. The crackdown would be easy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What a stupid response.

Your correct in saying that some things we have no control over and shit happens. Fighting in a hockey game is not one of those things. It is 100% preventable

It's just as stupid as saying fighting has to go because Zack Kassian hit his head.

Shit happens and it will continue to happen case in point John Tavares got kneed in the face.

Shit happens it just does

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
"Fighting is part of the game" is such a stupid cop out.

No, it is not. Fighting is part of the stupid North American hockey culture, yes. But not inherently part of the game. Best game I have ever seen was the womens gold medal game at Sochi... and it had no fighting nor big hits. It was entertaining and thrilling. VERY fun to watch.

Fighting might be entertaining to many people, but it is also one of the reasons why hockey is not taken seriously in the US. It is a side show and too many people market the sport around that side show. The Slapshot culture has to go.

The other stupid justification for fighting is that it prevents cheap shots. It does not. It is merely an eye for an eye response. If you REALLY want to stop cheap shots, you enforce the rules the way they are written. You suspend guys HEAVILY for acting like clowns. They do not because they think that shit sells. It does, to a certain audience. It does limit the growth of the sport and, to me, the way they use violence to market the sport is cheer stupidity. It will work with a certain crowd, but it limits your growth. I'd be fine with it if the NHL was conscious of this and were fine being a niche product... but every other business decision they take show that they are not.

People defending fighting do it because they like it, the rest is window dressing.
Completely agreed.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
"Fighting is part of the game" is such a stupid cop out.

No, it is not. Fighting is part of the stupid North American hockey culture, yes. But not inherently part of the game. Best game I have ever seen was the womens gold medal game at Sochi... and it had no fighting nor big hits. It was entertaining and thrilling. VERY fun to watch.

Fighting might be entertaining to many people, but it is also one of the reasons why hockey is not taken seriously in the US. It is a side show and too many people market the sport around that side show. The Slapshot culture has to go.

The other stupid justification for fighting is that it prevents cheap shots. It does not. It is merely an eye for an eye response. If you REALLY want to stop cheap shots, you enforce the rules the way they are written. You suspend guys HEAVILY for acting like clowns. They do not because they think that shit sells. It does, to a certain audience. It does limit the growth of the sport and, to me, the way they use violence to market the sport is cheer stupidity. It will work with a certain crowd, but it limits your growth. I'd be fine with it if the NHL was conscious of this and were fine being a niche product... but every other business decision they take show that they are not.

People defending fighting do it because they like it, the rest is window dressing.

Yeah, because hockey originated in Europe :sarcasm:

EazyE1

Mar 13, 2021
Ridin pine
Keep fighting in the game, but when they want to fight, both players have to go lace up their boxing gloves while we go to commercial break to watch more Geico commercials.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I think there's more to the physicality of hockey than these 1 on 1 staged fights. You can still have big hits, scrums after the whistle, pushing and shoving, etc. without two guys asking one another if they wanna go on the faceoff dot. Which tbh is hardly ever good, most of the time it's just a jersey grab into falling over each other

I'm not really that big of a fan of these sorts of fights (I much prefer when players just get pissed and get physical without the script) so Id be totally fine with them going away, or at least being disincentivized due to their risk relative to their value. Besides, adding a 1-3 game suspension for a fight wouldn't really change much about the altercations that are actually entertaining to begin with - a lot of that stuff begets suspensions anyway, and sometimes it'll be seen as worth it or won't even be considered when tensions get high enough to boil over.

Reactions: Pink Mist

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Baseball players get suspended for fights all the time. Football players get EJECTED on the spot for fighting. Just like hype videos containing fighting exist and are used frequently. The culture around fighting is VERY different in hockey than it is in other sports. Other sports do not claim it is "part of the game" and do not consider being a good fighter as a skill. And, no, fights do not happen more often in baseball than they do in hockey.

Slashing, hooking and "playing with too many players" is not celebrated. Fighting is. So, yeah, semantics. You are using my (bad) wording to defend fighting, that's all it is.
Zero proof it's celebrated. This is all in your head.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Fighting is not a problem. It's been there since day one.
And the players want it in the game.

So the solution is simple; if you can't bare watching a hockey fight, don't bitch, change the channel.
It's that simple.

I used to love the NFL and NBA, but they made changes that I don't like, so I no longer watch them.
Beats complaining...
Same here. I just stopped watching. Easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad