Fighter Signings/Cuts/Promotional Changes Thread

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good for Santos and I've enjoyed watching PFL on the days I remember to put it on.

I feel like the UFC has lost like 20 mid-tier "names" this year and maybe replaced 2 or 3 of them. They are probably doing fine in replacing the actual talent but these are PPV main card fillers and ESPN co-headliners that will need to get replaced at some point here. Death by 1000 cuts and it's weakening their cards.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Santos is a more typical UFC moving on type of move than losing a guy to another promotion. He's 38, 1-5 in his last 6, and not really the same since his knee injuries. He has been fighting nothing but killers, but still.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Santos is a more typical UFC moving on type of move than losing a guy to another promotion. He's 38, 1-5 in his last 6, and not really the same since his knee injuries. He has been fighting nothing but killers, but still.
Much cheaper options for them that could provide the same I’m sure. Not sure he can headline another fight night at the ufc level given his recent track record so they might as well let him go get a good deal to headline somewhere else and they don’t have to be the ones to pay him a lot of money to be a midcarder for them

Works out nicely for both sides imo. Fantastic UFC run by Santos, it was truly a pleasure watching him (especially pre-knees)

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
That's a rough one, going from many people thinking he beat Jones to those knee problems to a 1-5 record to finish his UFC stint. A couple years or one less injury away from a completely different career.

Hopefully he gets some easier competition and I'm very excited to watch him in PFL.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Couple of retirements

I'd imagine both were going to get cut. Alessio is 1-5 in the last 4 years and Santos is on the infamous 3 fight losing skid that usually signals the end in the UFC (not to mention being 42). Then retiring is no real loss IMO, it was time despite Alessio being young still.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Mason Jones is a bit surprising to me, wonder what's up with that. Had an awesome fight with Mike Davis, was killing Alan Patrick before an eye poke, beat a solid prospect (albeit on super short notice) in Onama. He didn't look great against Klein, but overall he's a UFC level guy. I think he'll be back at some point.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Mason Jones is a bit surprising to me, wonder what's up with that. Had an awesome fight with Mike Davis, was killing Alan Patrick before an eye poke, beat a solid prospect (albeit on super short notice) in Onama. He didn't look great against Klein, but overall he's a UFC level guy. I think he'll be back at some point.
Not sure what he plans on doing, but he tweeted about a week ago that he was a free agent and wasn't re-signing with them. Wouldn't be surprised if PFL was involved again here

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Marlon was retired for what, 4, 5 months? Got TKO/KO 5 times in his last 6 fights? Might want to take a few more months before coming back.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He seems like such a genuinely nice guy, I guess if he’s not competing until next season it’s fine given it’s a step down in competition but idk. I don’t want him to take much more punishment

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think one of my all-time worst takes was that Yan/Aldo for the vacant belt was dumb because Marlon Moraes was the best 135er in the UFC

He went 0-4 after that
Oh I was there with you

He flatlined the current champ! He was awesome! People have to believe us!

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
One of my favorites to watch over the years.

This is kind of a weird comparison, but I think he reinvented himself in the second half of his career similar to Andre Arlovski. Went to a safer style that emphasized staying out of danger and point-fighting. Both guys were probably the most exciting fighter in their division at one time but were a bit boring the last few years as a means to survive.

Reactions: Taytro and 16Skippy

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
A little surprising considering he still looks good. But I’d rather him go out like this instead of the path Tony is on.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pretty remarkable recovery from the Max fights, those looked like the beginning of the end. Wrong. Still has juice in the tank to this day

Had a baby and retired on the same day. Hell of a way to go out by a legend of the sport

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad