Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So Casey's issue with a fully healthy lineup is that Luke probably takes his PP time and then he is now only getting ES minutes.

They aren't going to sit one of their left handed PKers over him.

So then it becomes whether you sit Nemec and do you put Casey on the PK? Dougie? Or just make Pesce play an absurd amount?

Now if he somehow just takes PP2 and runs with it that they somehow can't put Luke back in that spot (or run two D) the calculus changes

Eggtimers

Oct 5, 2024
So far, he has been.
I didn’t get a chance to watch much of the preseason . What is he struggling with ? Offensive side of the game or D ? And what specifically ? Timing ? Skating ? Decision making ?

So that's gotta be the best D corps in the league?

Right?
In a year or two it could / should very well be . Hopefully Dougie doesn’t start falling off too much by the time Luke Nemec Casey hit their stride . But we also have yet to see what Silayev can do.
I think we will have a very good combination of Offensive guys that can out up pints and generate O from the back end plus good defensively sound guys that can all skate well.

Last edited:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The other one thing I really remember about Jagr as a devil was his faceoff goal that was like 2 seconds after someone won the faceoff (in the late game, I think).
He had an OT winner against the Kings in 13-14, which came right after a brief period of 3 on 3 play, back before 3 on 3 was standard for overtime. I think there were minors on each side, which brought it to 3 on 3 for 90 seconds or something.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Glad we won the first 2 games to kick the season off overseas. Was cool to see Jagr and Elias get to drop the puck for the opening face off. Wish I went out there to see the games live !

There was alot to like about this current Devils team these first 2 games. The new guys (Dillon , Cotter , Noesen , Kovacevic , Casey & Markstrok) really shined at times. This team really needed some added depth to help compliment our core guys and Fitzgerald targeted the right guys it seems. I really love Dillon's game , it's something we have lacked on defense for awhile. I would think if Okhotiuk wasn't traded and panned out a bit more that he could of been a player of that ilk. Cotter seems like a guy who will be able to bounce around to any of the 4 forward lines and not look out of place.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Luke isn't going to be back for another month at minimum. I am sure by then there will be more injuries, etc.

Its a good problem to have, but lets see how things look at that point

I am also not against sitting someone like Bastian and running 7D (not every night, but sometimes)

Yeah Luke is out for a bit so for now Casey is locked in.

I am curious who sits for Pesce though. Kovacevic obviously was the preseason choice but he has had two good games now, major PK time.

But Nemec has been solid too

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That was only two games against very youngish and raw Sabres. Devils will slump, someone will be hurt, space will be find for defensemen. Dougie was healthy only one season out of three. It looks like Keefe asking from defensemen to play more aggressive/physical game. Its really too early. Luke isn't ready, Pesce isn't ready, Casey is still young and unproven, some of derensemen like Dougie and Siegs are loving to being hurt, Dillon isn't young. Devils still can play 7 defensemen. I think they will figure it out.

Anyway nhl teams should start to use four pairs. It will hurt no one, more players will have nhl deals, more opportunities to give a chance for younger players, no advantages for rich teams - its a cap league. Its an opposit situation - teams with better prospects (mostly less successful teams) will have opportunity to develop their young defensemen in nhl in limited role and control their load.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yeah Luke is out for a bit so for now Casey is locked in.

I am curious who sits for Pesce though. Kovacevic obviously was the preseason choice but he has had two good games now, major PK time.

But Nemec has been solid too
Why can't we use 7 defensemen?
We played with 11F and 6D today. 7th D will definitely help.

And I'm the person who likes Bastian for his role. I believe rotation isn't a bad thing?

Or they can just send Casey to AHL and give him 1st pair role.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Glad we won the first 2 games to kick the season off overseas. Was cool to see Jagr and Elias get to drop the puck for the opening face off. Wish I went out there to see the games live !

There was alot to like about this current Devils team these first 2 games. The new guys (Dillon , Cotter , Noesen , Kovacevic , Casey & Markstrok) really shined at times. This team really needed some added depth to help compliment our core guys and Fitzgerald targeted the right guys it seems. I really love Dillon's game , it's something we have lacked on defense for awhile. I would think if Okhotiuk wasn't traded and panned out a bit more that he could of been a player of that ilk. Cotter seems like a guy who will be able to bounce around to any of the 4 forward lines and not look out of place.

Important because we'd be stuck talking about being 0-2 for a week until our next game. Buffalo board is gonna go full meltdown by that time

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Bratt Jack Cotter
Tatar Haula Palat
Meier Nico Mercer
Noesen Lazar Bastian
Mac dermid

Dillon Dr Evil
Siegs Kovy
Casey Nemec

When Pesce returns I sit Nemec for a game or two and reassess after that.
K.O.vy

I really like this lines. May be flip Tatar and Mercer to give opportunity for Meier to play on the right wing. It will bring right winger Mercer with right handed shot on the third line.

I'm not sure about sitting Nemec. Casey was good in PP, but Nemec is better 5 on 5, especially in the slot/against rushes etc. Anyway both are really good in their roles.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad