GDT: Feb 26, 7PM | Hurricanes @ Capitals

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Jeremy Roenick @Jeremy_Roenick 2h
Just gotta say I liked Troy Brouwer before his Semin comments. But he jumps way up my popularity meter after his honest comments. Truthhurts
Given that he's trying to promote his book about being such an outspoken critic while he played, this comes across as pretty self-serving.

It's not as if he's speaking as a former teammate.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
bunch of little girls (ahem....umm, no offense) ......Brouwer, Roenick....yeah all this crap is stupid. if JR even cared a tiny bit about the Canes, he would know that Semin has actually been playing very well, and has been very good in the locker room.

of course, no one cares about what Roenick thinks anyways so....

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Roenick likes attention, and he's found a way to get some.

There's no doubt in my mind that Semin (and others on the Caps) had many stretches of lazy play over the past few years. Heck, we bash on Eric Staal for that regularly. Imagine if Eric Staal was traded to the Leafs and had a 10 game point streak. The Leafs fans would be all over this board saying how great he was and many on this board would say "Just wait until you get a stretch of lazy Staal, he's inconsistent, etc.."

While some Caps fans are bitter and go overboard, there are also a number of more reasonable ones that have lamented about Semin's effort and have seen him a LOT more than we have. I'm glad Rutherford signed him, I'm glad he's doing well here in Carolina and I hope he continues to play inspired hockey, but I'm also withholding praise until later in the season.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I will say that the one good thing that's going to come out of this, this game is going to have some of the best out-of-market numbers of the season shy of a rivalry matchup (Hawks-Wings, Pens-Flyers). For a matchup that probably wouldn't be a blip on the dial many nights, this Brower-Semin subtext could be absolute ratings gold with how his comments have hit the social media.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I will say that the one good thing that's going to come out of this, this game is going to have some of the best out-of-market numbers of the season shy of a rivalry matchup (Hawks-Wings, Pens-Flyers). For a matchup that probably wouldn't be a blip on the dial many nights, this Brower-Semin subtext could be absolute ratings gold with how his comments have hit the social media.

Oh ****. We'll have to hear about how defensively inept Murphy is for the next month now. :laugh:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Canes-Caps IS a rivalry matchup as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not on the level of th teams you mentioned, but I can't think of a team in this division that produces as entertaining and bitterly contested games with Carolina.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Wow interesting. Cole and Whit back together.....they are really going strong on the vets this season. kinda makes me wish i was still living near Dallas.

maybe im misremembering, but didnt Ryder used to play for the Habs at one point?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes-Caps IS a rivalry matchup as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not on the level of th teams you mentioned, but I can't think of a team in this division that produces as entertaining and bitterly contested games with Carolina.

Thing is I can't recall there ever being the real bad blood between the Canes and Caps (sans the Jason Doig incident) that there is in the Pens-Flyers, Pens-Caps, Wings-Hawks, etc. matchups. Sure it's usually a matchup of import in the division race, it's very entertaining, and we've seen some very highly contested games with astounding individual efforts (Gleason taking an OV shot to the face, then scoring a few years back). But there's just not the level of hate there is with even Canes-Sabres matchups. Of course, good ol talk first then think Brower may have just changed that a bit, which would make these two teams entering the Atlantic together all the more interesting.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Whitney and Cole in Dallas?

Eric Staal for Jamie Benn + Jamie Oleksiak? (Or whatever fair value is...Faksa?)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wow interesting. Cole and Whit back together.....they are really going strong on the vets this season. kinda makes me wish i was still living near Dallas.

maybe im misremembering, but didnt Ryder used to play for the Habs at one point?

He was the focal point of the trade proposal that could get ANY superstar player from any team. Ryder + Halak + 2nd.

Eric Staal? how about Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd?
Healthy Crosby? how's Ryder, Halak, 2nd sound?
Prime Gretzky? I may have to up the offer to Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Tripp knows that no one can watch the Canes defense sober so he's just helping us out.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
hf fans slay me. the cole hate is ridiculous, especially from mtl. he was a stud for them last year, and hes dog **** one month in this year.

I think most people are just pissed at his role, however small, in the PA's part of the lockout.

Dude did NOT like it when the two sides agreed and they started playing games again. Needless to say, the fans didn't like HIM when he didn't like it.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
The meltdown over on the Dallas board is quenching my thirst for tears. Makes us look rational.

It's such a funny progression. They didn't like the trade straight up. Then they thought THEY were getting a pick and became slightly less negative, then it comes out that they're GIVING a pick and well, lots of ****.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
hmm-all i have in the house is a quart and a half of "organic" peach brandy-i am in big trouble if i play the game:laugh: (anybody know what i mean by "organic")

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
images

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad