Faceoff: Inside the NHL Premieres Oct 4th on Prime Video

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I like how what's her face called the Leafs core four "four generational talents" :laugh: The talking heads from the "analysts" are pretty awful.

It's nice to see the behind the scenes stuff with the players. The less actual in-game stuff the better as we've already seen it, unless of course it's stuff on the bench like the "stop crying" comment from Willy.
Generational in terms of choking in playoffs

Reactions: The Expert

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013
Strange how they focused on Nylander for the leafs. Even saying the pressure of winning the cup fans put on his shoulder. When papi is clearly the franchise player.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Okay, so highlighting the Bos/Tor Game 7 (2024 edition) in the first episode wasn't cruel enough for Leafs fans that they went did it *again* in episode 3? I've never seen a sports documentary series, ever, where they focused on one specific game in two different episodes.

Man, the doc makers must just hate the Leafs. I'm talking someone in a Leafs jersey must have burned their house to the ground-level hate. The one small consolation prize was watching the B's get knocked out by the Panthers. Twice.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Just another experience that makes me like Matthew Tkachuk and the freaking Panthers. I wish we were in different divisions since they keep trying to be my second favorite team. God damn you Florida!

Reactions: IdleTraveller

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK
I binge-watched the series over the weekend, and enjoyed it for what it was: it's a series that's clearly marketed at casual/new fans of hockey which is what is needed to grow the sport. And to do that, they were intentionally laser-focused on the players they were following, at the expense of the teams. I definitely rolled my eyes at Nylander being painted as the main factor in the Toronto-Boston series, and Tkachuck seemingly being the only player on the Panthers - or worse, the importance of Trouba's "leadership" to the Rangers. So if you can't get over that approach, then this series might be hazardous to your blood pressure...

That said, I really did appreciate the behind-the-scenes look at the lives of players. Picking out highlights, it was cute seeing Nylander and Pasta as kids, and I loved the scene of them having dinner together and their different reactions to the upcoming Leafs-Bruins series ;-). I gained a new appreciation for Filip Forsberg's moustache and felt that his wife Erin Alvey pretty much stole the show - I would watch a whole series just on her alone: he obviously married up there. Eichel was unlikeable - so fulfilled my expectations there. Swayman was probably far too honest and open than was good for him, but I ended up really respecting him and his belief in himself (if not his singing). My heart broke a bit for Landeskog and what he was going through and was glad that we got that perspective on players who defined themselves through hockey needing to find another identity through injury. And then Trouba is a meathead and Quinn is a young captain? Sorry - that's all I got on those two.

And then we get to the two-part epic final. Speaking as a Panthers fan, maybe the greatest compliment I can give to this series was that, buried very VERY deep, I felt a tiny smidgeon of something vaguely approximating sympathy watching McJesus crying his heart out after losing to us in seven. It lasted 2.3 seconds before I went back to hating the sight of all their stupid faces and their awful yucky jerseys, but it was there. And, of course, it was lovely to watch Barky hoist the cup once again for the 536th time. I could complain about the obvious editorial tilt towards the Oilers in those last two episodes, but then I just rewatch our cup celebrations and it's all good again... And man, Chucky is living his best life in Florida and all power to him!

Last edited:
Reactions: johan f

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK
Just another experience that makes me like Matthew Tkachuk and the freaking Panthers. I wish we were in different divisions since they keep trying to be my second favorite team. God damn you Florida!
Well, I also have a sneaking appreciation for Boston: you're a well run organisation and it says something that most of our players would thrive in the other's culture and systems. And at least we can say that our recent playoff series have never lacked for entertainment value...

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
The show makes it look like Panthers are Tkachuks team, Barkov barely gets mentioned.
They seemed to focus on one guy per team. Matthews and Marner got next to no screen time as well. Mark Stone, Marchand, etc. as well. Just the format they chose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad