Player Discussion Fabian Lysell

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Bruins are going to need some help up front in 2023-24.
After the retirements of Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, and a cap crunch that led them to trade Taylor Hall and lose Tyler Bertuzzi in free agency, the Bruins will have to look inward in hopes of finding capable offensive conduits.
Such a challenge isn’t lost on prospect Fabian Lysell, who has ramped up his training in his native Sweden in hopes of making a case for NHL reps.
“I think the focus for me is just that I’m going to be a little more comfortable there now,” Lysell said in an interview with Bruins team reporter Eric Russo from Sweden. “I know more people and I know the city a little bit better now.

“So for me, it’s just going to be to feel comfortable and have the confidence to go in there and prove that I’ve been developing since last year, take it day-by-day, and my [goal] at the end is to make the team.”

The Bruins have left no stone unturned when it comes to forward depth. General manager Don Sweeney added forwards Morgan Geekie, Milan Lucic, James van Riemsdyk, Patrick Brown, and Jesper Boqvist in free agency.

Sweeney’s bargain-bin shopping spree means that younger prospects like Lysell and Georgii Merkulov may have an uphill climb when it comes to making the roster.

Working in Lysell’s favor are his high-end offensive talent and his potential as a middle-six weapon.

With his skating ability, playmaking poise, and knack for driving to the net, Lysell could leapfrog other wingers in the preseason.

“I want to build off one of my strengths, which is the power and speed and all that,” Lysell said. “Those two, and a combination of good conditioning, I feel like I’ll be in good shape.”

But for all of his potential, Lysell still needs to prove he has the wherewithal to withstand the punishment in the pro ranks and grow his overall game.

Last season had its share of ups and downs for the 20-year-old winger in his first full campaign in Providence. In his first 20 games, Lysell put up 19 points.

But after posting zero points in seven games in the World Junior Championships with Sweden, Lysell recorded just 18 points over his final 34 games with Providence.

The lingering effects of a concussion limited Lysell early on during Bruins development camp in July.

“I felt like I was kind of up and down the rest of the year,” Lysell said last month about his rookie year with Providence. “So it’s a lot of new things to take in.

“But looking back at it, I learned a lot of new things that I wouldn’t know within the last year. So I’m really looking forward to this upcoming year and I think I have more knowledge now that I’m really going to be able to use for next year.”

Lysell’s priority this offseason has been to add more weight onto his 5-foot-11-inch frame. Beyond his physical tools, Lysell believes that putting last season’s struggles in the rearview mirror will allow him to attack the 2023-24 season with a clean slate.

“It’s a lot to take in, my first pro year,” he said. “I think the most important thing is going to be to have that reset button and have that preparation to recover faster and all that stuff. Because before I played, like, 60 games and then last year, I played almost 90, so that’s a huge adjustment.”

It’s a tough task to earn minutes on a roster chock-full of NHL veterans, especially given that the 2021 first-round pick’s skill set doesn’t exactly translate to a checking-line role, like a Jakub Lauko, Marc McLaughlin, or Johnny Beecher.

But Lysell doesn’t seem to be lacking in confidence.

“It’s just been going better and better for each week,” he said, “and I think I’m ready to get going here in September.”

Reactions: hrdpuk

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

The Bruins are going to need some help up front in 2023-24.
After the retirements of Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, and a cap crunch that led them to trade Taylor Hall and lose Tyler Bertuzzi in free agency, the Bruins will have to look inward in hopes of finding capable offensive conduits.
Such a challenge isn’t lost on prospect Fabian Lysell, who has ramped up his training in his native Sweden in hopes of making a case for NHL reps.
“I think the focus for me is just that I’m going to be a little more comfortable there now,” Lysell said in an interview with Bruins team reporter Eric Russo from Sweden. “I know more people and I know the city a little bit better now.

“So for me, it’s just going to be to feel comfortable and have the confidence to go in there and prove that I’ve been developing since last year, take it day-by-day, and my [goal] at the end is to make the team.”

The Bruins have left no stone unturned when it comes to forward depth. General manager Don Sweeney added forwards Morgan Geekie, Milan Lucic, James van Riemsdyk, Patrick Brown, and Jesper Boqvist in free agency.

Sweeney’s bargain-bin shopping spree means that younger prospects like Lysell and Georgii Merkulov may have an uphill climb when it comes to making the roster.

Working in Lysell’s favor are his high-end offensive talent and his potential as a middle-six weapon.

With his skating ability, playmaking poise, and knack for driving to the net, Lysell could leapfrog other wingers in the preseason.

“I want to build off one of my strengths, which is the power and speed and all that,” Lysell said. “Those two, and a combination of good conditioning, I feel like I’ll be in good shape.”

But for all of his potential, Lysell still needs to prove he has the wherewithal to withstand the punishment in the pro ranks and grow his overall game.

Last season had its share of ups and downs for the 20-year-old winger in his first full campaign in Providence. In his first 20 games, Lysell put up 19 points.

But after posting zero points in seven games in the World Junior Championships with Sweden, Lysell recorded just 18 points over his final 34 games with Providence.

The lingering effects of a concussion limited Lysell early on during Bruins development camp in July.

“I felt like I was kind of up and down the rest of the year,” Lysell said last month about his rookie year with Providence. “So it’s a lot of new things to take in.

“But looking back at it, I learned a lot of new things that I wouldn’t know within the last year. So I’m really looking forward to this upcoming year and I think I have more knowledge now that I’m really going to be able to use for next year.”

Lysell’s priority this offseason has been to add more weight onto his 5-foot-11-inch frame. Beyond his physical tools, Lysell believes that putting last season’s struggles in the rearview mirror will allow him to attack the 2023-24 season with a clean slate.

“It’s a lot to take in, my first pro year,” he said. “I think the most important thing is going to be to have that reset button and have that preparation to recover faster and all that stuff. Because before I played, like, 60 games and then last year, I played almost 90, so that’s a huge adjustment.”

It’s a tough task to earn minutes on a roster chock-full of NHL veterans, especially given that the 2021 first-round pick’s skill set doesn’t exactly translate to a checking-line role, like a Jakub Lauko, Marc McLaughlin, or Johnny Beecher.

But Lysell doesn’t seem to be lacking in confidence.

“It’s just been going better and better for each week,” he said, “and I think I’m ready to get going here in September.”
I really don't get the internal logic of this article. It starts by noting the Bruins have lost Bergeron, Krejci, Hall & Bertuzzi, but then claims the prospects will have an uphill climb to make the roster.

Yes they signed guys like JVR & Lucic to fill out the roster, but if anything I would think that signing journeyman vets on 1 year deals only makes those roster spots ripe for the picking if guys like Merk & Lysell can step up. I feel like Geekie is the only guy really "blocking" anyone but he has actual upside of his own so it's not the same as a guy like JVR.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I really don't get the internal logic of this article. It starts by noting the Bruins have lost Bergeron, Krejci, Hall & Bertuzzi, but then claims the prospects will have an uphill climb to make the roster.

Yes they signed guys like JVR & Lucic to fill out the roster, but if anything I would think that signing journeyman vets on 1 year deals only makes those roster spots ripe for the picking if guys like Merk & Lysell can step up. I feel like Geekie is the only guy really "blocking" anyone but he has actual upside of his own so it's not the same as a guy like JVR.
I think there is a bit of a blockage just because coaches tend to prefer the safe, known commodity, vet option over the unknown prospect with upside.

Because of that those guys need to prove they are much better than JVR/Looch/Chiasson/Brown/Boqvist/Geekie and not just on a similar level, if they want their shot.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think there is a bit of a blockage just because coaches tend to prefer the safe, known commodity, vet option over the unknown prospect with upside.

Because of that those guys need to prove they are much better than JVR/Looch/Chiasson/Brown/Boqvist/Geekie and not just on a similar level, if they want their shot.
Bruins have always known to be "earn" a roster spot team. Not only the skills, details aspect but also pro body.

Lysell .... I pray he has worked hard at the gym this offseason. He has a small head/thin jawline. Basically looks like a model.... instead of a hockey player that can take a hit to the chin. Really needs to work on his traps, neck....everything.... to be able to withstand some hits.

Another season down at Providence could be better for him. Just keep developing details/body. The flashy stuff... not worried about it. Kid has it.

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Sweeney signed all those veterans to one year deals so all those young guys can play in all situations and develop in Providence!You Don t develop players on the 4th line playing 8-10 minutes a night!

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Bruins have always known to be "earn" a roster spot team. Not only the skills, details aspect but also pro body.

Lysell .... I pray he has worked hard at the gym this offseason. He has a small head/thin jawline. Basically looks like a model.... instead of a hockey player that can take a hit to the chin. Really needs to work on his traps, neck....everything.... to be able to withstand some hits.

Another season down at Providence could be better for him. Just keep developing details/body. The flashy stuff... not worried about it. Kid has it.

I beg to differ. They have been more of a "if you are waiver exempt, you are heading to Providence" type team.

There have been guys who have earned spots on this team before in training camp who found themselves Providence bound only because of waiver exemption.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
AA9D0DAA-046D-42E3-8679-753072D580FF.gif

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Probably starts in Providence and then Bs injuries and his performance will determine if/ when he gets a call-up

watched him closely during development camp scrimmage - it seemed every time he had the puck there was a " did you see that" moment- his passing was tape to tape and his side to side movement was sublime

definitely still has room to develop....and just as definitely could grow into something special.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Does him making the roster affect his service time and team control and such?

I think he could help, but he's not a finished product and if the difference is him hitting UFA in 2029 vs. 2028 I probably hold him back unless he's really made the leap and can turn this team into a contender somehow.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I’m just going to go ahead and say that trap/neck strength has almost nothing to do with withstanding hits. Core strength, leg strength, and overall strength on your edges is far more important. Adding trap/neck muscle would hurt his game more than it would help him, all it would do is slow him down.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He didn’t blow away the AHL. He also needs to bulk up. In time……

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Let’s get behind him folks !!!!!!

Fabian Fever starts in 10 weeks

Over/under 45 points . WHO says no?
Ballsy, but I say over. Solid last season where his 2-way game came along and he took the next step to becoming a legit pro.

Pulling for him and Merkulov to make a significant impact at camp and make it difficult for the B's to decide on keeping both....they need some youth injection with offensive upside up front.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If they put him with Coyle & Marchand he’s getting a HOF and a very good player who’s probably going to play 1000 games. They will coach him on the ice as well.

All he has to do is read and react and make simple Adam Fox-like decisions

It’s set up for him on a platter- I’ve rarely seen a situation so ‘there’ ~ Chris Bourque has nothing on this

And if it doesn’t work you slide Geekie up like Panthers did with Evan Rodriguez

Let’s Go Fabs!!!!!

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
If they put him with Coyle & Marchand he’s getting a HOF and a very good player who’s probably going to play 1000 games. They will coach him on the ice as well.

All he has to do is read and react and make simple Adam Fox-like decisions

It’s set up for him on a platter- I’ve rarely seen a situation so ‘there’ ~ Chris Bourque has nothing on this

And if it doesn’t work you slide Geekie up like Panthers did with Evan Rodriguez

Let’s Go Fabs!!!!!
This. It is set up perfectly for Lysell. Spot open in a position he plays. 2 solid veterans who are very good defensively and can help him along. He has done his AHL time and has talent, let’s see how he looks. As you said, if it doesn’t you move Geekie up and address it at the trade deadline. Hope he comes into camp ready to take that spot.

Reactions: DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad