Player Discussion Fabian Lysell

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I would absolutely call Lysell short and stocky. He has a strong base, great balance, pretty broad for his height.

I do agree there are certainly differences between the way Samsonov and Lysell play. Samsonov was more dynamic in his skating and his skill. But I find more similarities than differences. I am hopeful that Lysell can be coached to be more of a two way player even at the expense of some offense.

Clearly we see "short and stocky" differently.

Reactions: dangermike

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He sounds like a cleaning product tbh
He sounds like an idea for a black T shirt with yellow lettering across the front written:

FABIAN

fun player to watch

Let’s go Fabs!!!!!

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
He’s exactly what they need

A quick skilled young RW on ELC who is a huge fan of the Beatles and wants to own a huge farm in the country where all the shelter dogs and cats can live happily ever after

I been waiting my entire life for a player like this

#lysellpower
He likes the Beatles ?

Reactions: dangermike

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He did. On Hagg's podcast.

The problem is that Haggs talks so much and rarely gives his guests a chance to speak that if one was listening, they might have missed Divver doing an about face.
thx Dom, haven`t heard Haggs pod, not sure it`s on my "to do" future list

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
This kid has all the tools. Hard to imagine he isn’t an nhl talent. I’m hoping 50 points 20 goals at least. Probably not this season. But when he is 24+ years old. I’ll be happy with 20-30 points in his first nhl season. I think the spot is his to lose at camp.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I was looking at the old scouting on Lysell and it reminded me just how highly regarded he was as a prospect

Bob McKenzie had him at 12 midseason and 14 before the draft
Dobber had him at 3 (this was insane)
Button had him at 30

He was kind of ranked all over the place but there was speculation that Lysell had the skill to go top 10

I feel like he's being overlooked (maybe not so much now given managements plan to give him a look) but moreso among us

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Dropped in the draft because of his attitude, that same attitude had him stay in Sweden all summer instead of in Boston working with coaches on everything from nutrition to weight training. Also just would have shown he is committed. Also would have been a good idea to show up for prospects camp and the 3 team prospect tournament in September, let's see if he does.

No doubt he has talent, so did Ryan Spooner, Alex Khokhlachev, Rob Cimetta, Johnathan Aitken and a number of failed Bruins prospects. Pretty much on his last chance with the Bruins this year. I don't expect much and would not be surprised to see a PTO beat him out like last year.

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Dropped on the draft because of his attitude, that sane attitude had him stay in Sweden all summer instead of in Boston working with coaches on everything from nutrition to weight training. Also just would have shown he is committed. Also would have been a good idea to show up for prospects camp and the 3 team prospect tournament in September, let's see if he does.

No doubt he has talent, so did Ryan Spooner, Alex Khokhlachev, Rob Cimetta, Johnathan Aitken and a number of failed Bruins prospects. Pretty much on his last chance with the Bruins this year. I don't expect much and would not be surprised to see a PTO beat him out like last year.
I'm sorry but judging a player for going home to see their family and friends during the offseason is f***ing insane. Also this might shock you, but they also have weight rooms and nutritionists in Sweden.

Reactions: weaponomega

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I'm sorry but judging a player for going home to see their family and friends during the offseason is f***ing insane. Also this might shock you, but they also have weight rooms and nutritionists in Sweden.
Does he want to play here or in Sweden? This is his best chance to make this team and maybe his last, he should be showing he is willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

His attitude and dedication have been questioned by his AHL coach and was an issue in his draft year and why he dropped, this isn't the best look.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He has the individual talent of a NHLer, no doubt there. His problem is not either understanding, fitting, or playing into a teams system. That’s his biggest knock and one that could doom him if he doesn’t figure it out. He’ll get his chance no doubt, but my focus would be less on individual skill than positioning in the offensive and defensive zone. If he is missing assignments or throwing the puck around areas where there is no support he might be on the bubble again.

Reactions: CellyHard

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Dropped in the draft because of his attitude, that same attitude had him stay in Sweden all summer instead of in Boston working with coaches on everything from nutrition to weight training. Also just would have shown he is committed. Also would have been a good idea to show up for prospects camp and the 3 team prospect tournament in September, let's see if he does.

I take issue with saying Jonathan Aitken had talent.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Does he want to play here or in Sweden? This is his best chance to make this team and maybe his last, he should be showing he is willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

His attitude and dedication have been questioned by his AHL coach and was an issue in his draft year and why he dropped, this isn't the best look.
Perhaps his attitude has been questioned in the past- but more so around TWO-WAY play and not trying to be a cowboy with the puck. Mougenal raved about his growth in the second half of the year, so it looks like that has been addressed. His dedication doesn't seem to be in question. The kid is extremely fit and has put on weight - which he needed. I watched the interview between him and Evan Marinovsky and was impressed with Lysell's attitude. Part of what makes him a dynamic player is that he is an elite player at several sports including soccer and bandy (look it up). Going back home to Sweden allows him to work on different skillsets than what is readily available at Warrior.

He made it a point that, unlike other players, he is not a golf nut and rarely plays. He'd rather be out on the field playing in other competitive sports.

The proof will be in the pudding. If he makes the team out of camp...then perhaps going home to Sweden was exactly what he needed after a long season in NA. Regardless, the kid has taken positive steps every year up to this point and Mougenal thinks he's ready.

Frankly, I'd rather give him the reps over any of the available PTO candidates...even it means we hang in there for 20 games while he figures everything out.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
they don't make the team until they can prove themselves, but I think this kid will be alright. I expect that he will be on the roster. Give him a chance and let's watch him grow during the regular season.

Reactions: HustleB

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Corey Pronman, (who I admit to not being a fan of) with his assessment of Lysell. Has him as the 4th rated prospect in the Bruins system.

4. Fabian Lysell, RW

Jan. 19, 2003 | 5-foot-11 | 181 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 21 in 2021
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Above NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Below NHL average

Analysis: Lysell had a productive second season with AHL Providence, scoring at nearly a point-per-game clip. He has clear NHL skill and skating ability. The plays he can make with the puck at full flight are impressive. He has the top speed and edge work to create a lot of controlled entries in the NHL and make defenders miss. He makes plays to others well enough and his one-on-one play has improved. Lysell’s main issue comes down to his lack of size and physicality. He plays on the outside, and scouts have questions as to how well his game can translate to the NHL. His talent should get him games, but he will have to show he can be consistent to have a long NHL career.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Corey Pronman, (who I admit to not being a fan of) with his assessment of Lysell. Has him as the 4th rated prospect in the Bruins system.

4. Fabian Lysell, RW

Jan. 19, 2003 | 5-foot-11 | 181 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 21 in 2021
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Above NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Below NHL average

Analysis: Lysell had a productive second season with AHL Providence, scoring at nearly a point-per-game clip. He has clear NHL skill and skating ability. The plays he can make with the puck at full flight are impressive. He has the top speed and edge work to create a lot of controlled entries in the NHL and make defenders miss. He makes plays to others well enough and his one-on-one play has improved. Lysell’s main issue comes down to his lack of size and physicality. He plays on the outside, and scouts have questions as to how well his game can translate to the NHL. His talent should get him games, but he will have to show he can be consistent to have a long NHL career.
All that paragraph shows is that Corey Pronman doesn’t watch Fabian Lysell play hockey.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
All that paragraph shows is that Corey Pronman doesn’t watch Fabian Lysell play hockey.

Really I thought it seemed somewhat fair and balanced. He praises him for having NHL speed and skill, Scouts do question whether the game will translate. He will have to show consistency at this level if he wants to have a long career?

I guess the only debatable point is whether he is too much of an outside player

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Really I thought it seemed somewhat fair and balanced. He praises him for having NHL speed and skill, Scouts do question whether the game will translate. He will have to show consistency at this level if he wants to have a long career?

I guess the only debatable point is whether he is too much of an outside player
That was the knock on him 3 years ago. Not remotely an issue now. Hes also really not undersized for a speed winger. And rating him below Locmelis too seals the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad