Player Discussion Fabian Lysell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Wheeler @ the Athletic

Wheeler has young Fabian at 88 in his top 100 drafted prospects list. From the text, it surprisingly appears he's seen him play, unlike several unnamed posters on this board.

1721188152210.png

When Lysell turned pro, there were concerns about whether he would be able to use all of his speed to get to the guts of the ice in control (he has always done a good job hunting pucks without it) or funnel too often to the perimeter. He has done a good job figuring his way through that over the last two seasons in the AHL, though (despite a disappointing performance at the 2023 world juniors).

I don’t think he has played shy or drifted all that much in the AHL. He has done a good job of entering through the middle and then going to the slot/the front of the net. And when there have been opportunities to attack, he has played with intention instead of hesitation and has gone directly at pro defenders. He can be hard to trap on the perimeter and slippery losing guys with cut-backs. Off the puck, he’s got a great ability to get to pucks and keep sequences alive with his speed. On it, he’s fun to watch carry it up ice and can weave around defenders pretty effortlessly when he’s feeling it. When Lysell plays fearless and confident and makes quick decisions, he’s a joy to watch.

He’s a free-flowing skater who has rare top speed and agility with the puck on his stick (one of those players who seems to get faster with the puck on his stick). He’s not a one-trick pony, either. The highlight pack is about the end-to-end rushes and the dashes through holes in coverage, for sure. But he can also dance a defender by pulling pucks through his wide stance and across his body to beat them with not just a lateral cut but his hands. And he can dance defenders to the outside with his high-end top speed or a quick change of pace. He’s got cuts, stops and starts, and directional changes. While his shot isn’t powerful per se, it’s deceptive off the blade and accurate.

When he pushes through contact and keeps his feet moving, he can draw a lot of penalties with his skating as well. He’s also chippier than you might expect. I do wonder if he could be a useful penalty killer with the right coach because of his skating as well. While he’s not a physical player, he’s a puck thief off of back pressure.

I do still think he can come and go in games and try to do too much (there’s a little too much one-and-done to his games when he flies into the zone and takes long shots in transition or overhandles the puck), and his body language isn’t great when he’s not playing well, but he’s got some upside.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
That’s very good

Three things work against him to some % of Bruins fans

1. WJC fiasco
2. Mark Diiver opinion/comments maturity
3. Size

1&3 are what they are

A. What Bruins fans need to know

Watching him live he’s not soft at all

B. One positive

He is quick - separates easily/ when they said want to get faster this was likely where they were thinking

C. Description type of player

Dangerous offensive player who can take it to net or set up open man ~ defenses will have hands full

D. Camp Wish list

Monty sticks him with Brad & Coyle - they will be able to expedite his development

E. Ideal result

He is Teravainen-like

This guy hits he’s going to be a fan favorite

Last edited:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I bet if he played today, Sergei Samsonav would get accused for trying to do too much one on one. Back then, they let him do his thing.
This was a legitimate complaint about him when he did play. There were times he would skate the puck around the entire offensive zone without finding a pass or shot before losing the puck. I enjoyed the player and his skill but I wished he would have been a bit more decisive.

Reactions: PB37

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I bet if he played today, Sergei Samsonav would get accused for trying to do too much one on one. Back then, they let him do his thing.

I like the Samsonov comp for Lysell. Samsonov was much further ahead at this stage in his career, but both are short, stocky, fast and skilled right shot wingers that play an east-west European style. Sammy was on track to be a ppg winger until his knee injuries really derailed his career.

Reactions: DKH

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Wheeler @ the Athletic

Wheeler has young Fabian at 88 in his top 100 drafted prospects list. From the text, it surprisingly appears he's seen him play, unlike several unnamed posters on this board.

This always makes me laugh, because some unnamed posters who see our prospects play a lot have been incredibly wrong many times.

Reactions: Dr Quincy and Kalus

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Neither was Beecher and yet you are penciling him in the third line between Frederic and Geekie.
Beecher is older and built, physically different and better suited at this time for the grind, he also has played in the AHL, and I am not trying to Poitras down but he should not have been on the roster last year, Sweeney was put in a difficult position because of his showing, and his start to the season, that is why he made the roster. Maybe Beecher is a fourth liner, but I would like to see him on that line and see what we have there. Maybe Poitras has done the work needed to get stronger and it sounds like he has but is it enough at this time.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why is that? I think he would be perfectly fine as the 13th F. Spent most of last year in the NHL.

He spent most of last year in the nhl because Minnesota was bad and also had a lot of injuries.

Right now I’m not even sure if he’s a top 15 forward in the organization nevermind 13F.

Lettieri was in the bruins organization two years ago and got one game at the end of the year to rest players for the playoffs. I would assume that would be the case once again unless things go wrong with injuries.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I don't get how you can be a fan of the Bruins and not want to see Lysell get a chance

I don't get how one doesn't get that

it's because I'm a fan of the Bruins that I don't wanna see him with the team - where there's selfish smoke, there's fire

what I don't get is why some people personalize a comment like this, lol

it's okay for people to feel differently about things my loves

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Wheeler @ the Athletic

View attachment 895403

When Lysell turned pro, there were concerns about whether he would be able to use all of his speed to get to the guts of the ice in control (he has always done a good job hunting pucks without it) or funnel too often to the perimeter. He has done a good job figuring his way through that over the last two seasons in the AHL, though (despite a disappointing performance at the 2023 world juniors).

I don’t think he has played shy or drifted all that much in the AHL. He has done a good job of entering through the middle and then going to the slot/the front of the net. And when there have been opportunities to attack, he has played with intention instead of hesitation and has gone directly at pro defenders. He can be hard to trap on the perimeter and slippery losing guys with cut-backs. Off the puck, he’s got a great ability to get to pucks and keep sequences alive with his speed. On it, he’s fun to watch carry it up ice and can weave around defenders pretty effortlessly when he’s feeling it. When Lysell plays fearless and confident and makes quick decisions, he’s a joy to watch.

He’s a free-flowing skater who has rare top speed and agility with the puck on his stick (one of those players who seems to get faster with the puck on his stick). He’s not a one-trick pony, either. The highlight pack is about the end-to-end rushes and the dashes through holes in coverage, for sure. But he can also dance a defender by pulling pucks through his wide stance and across his body to beat them with not just a lateral cut but his hands. And he can dance defenders to the outside with his high-end top speed or a quick change of pace. He’s got cuts, stops and starts, and directional changes. While his shot isn’t powerful per se, it’s deceptive off the blade and accurate.

When he pushes through contact and keeps his feet moving, he can draw a lot of penalties with his skating as well. He’s also chippier than you might expect. I do wonder if he could be a useful penalty killer with the right coach because of his skating as well. While he’s not a physical player, he’s a puck thief off of back pressure.

I do still think he can come and go in games and try to do too much (there’s a little too much one-and-done to his games when he flies into the zone and takes long shots in transition or overhandles the puck), and his body language isn’t great when he’s not playing well, but he’s got some upside.
Ok so this prospect rankings I can pay attention to? I lose track. I read these guys are awful when the Bruins picks are "too low" or absent completely from these type lists, or their organizational prospect ranking is low.

Reactions: EverettMike

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
"there’s a little too much one-and-done to his games when he flies into the zone and takes long shots in transition or overhandles the puck"

that is a terrible, terrible vibe for a player - especially a player in a systems-heavy club like the Bruins

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That’s very good

Three things work against him to some % of Bruins fans

1. WJC fiasco
2. Mark Diiver opinion/comments maturity
3. Size

1&3 are what they are

A. What Bruins fans need to know

Watching him live he’s not soft at all

B. One positive

He is quick - separates easily/ when they said want to get faster this was likely where they were thinking

C. Description type of player

Dangerous offensive player who can take it to net or set up open man ~ defenses will have hands full

D. Camp Wish list

Monty sticks him with Brad & Coyle - they will be able to expedite his development

E. Ideal result

He is Teravainen-like

This guy hits he’s going to be a fan favorite
thought I heard/read somewhere that Divver has done a bit of a turnaround on Lysell and that he has been impressed with his growth in the maturity sense?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
"there’s a little too much one-and-done to his games when he flies into the zone and takes long shots in transition or overhandles the puck"

that is a terrible, terrible vibe for a player - especially a player in a systems-heavy club like the Bruins
Probably should just cut him - doubt anyone would even give us anything for him with a locked in trait like that that obviously could never be improved. Cut our losses and move on.

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I like the Samsonov comp for Lysell. Samsonov was much further ahead at this stage in his career, but both are short, stocky, fast and skilled right shot wingers that play an east-west European style. Sammy was on track to be a ppg winger until his knee injuries really derailed his career.

Lysell is short and stocky?

Only saw him play once in Providence last season but he didn't remind me of a young Samsonov at all. Samsonov was a jitterbug; moves so quick that at times he didn't realize he already had the opponent beat on move 2 while he was making move 4. He was a big-time talent. NHL ready as a teenager. Didn't see his kind of motor in Lysell. To be fair, a weeknight game in Providence before friends and family doesn't always bring out the best in some players.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
thought I heard/read somewhere that Divver has done a bit of a turnaround on Lysell and that he has been impressed with his growth in the maturity sense?
He did. On Hagg's podcast.

The problem is that Haggs talks so much and rarely gives his guests a chance to speak that if one was listening, they might have missed Divver doing an about face.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
im just super allergic to any player that has even a whiff of selfishness attached to him

i positioned my view as one without much other than gut feel - that's all it is

id love to be proven wrong

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He spent most of last year in the nhl because Minnesota was bad and also had a lot of injuries.

Right now I’m not even sure if he’s a top 15 forward in the organization nevermind 13F.

Lettieri was in the bruins organization two years ago and got one game at the end of the year to rest players for the playoffs. I would assume that would be the case once again unless things go wrong with injuries.

Well they don't want one of the young guys (Poitras, Lysell, Merkulov) sitting upstairs in the pressbox. Being the extra F doesn't mean he's (Letteri) the 13th best F in the organization.

As it stands you have likely 11 forwards with an inside track (Marchand, Pasta, Lindholm, Coyle, Frederic, Zacha, Geekie, Jones, Brazeau, Beecher, Kastelic). They will need to carry at least 2 more F, possibly 3 at times.

There is absolutely a decent chance one of Letteri, Tufte, Koepke, Viel, Brown, etc. will break camp as the spare (13th F). Doesn't mean any of them are the 13th best F. It just means that they'd rather have a older player spending his nights upstairs than they would one of the the younger guys.

Reality is, there is a pretty good chance they only have one of Poitras/Lysell/Merkulov on the roster when the season starts. So say it's only one of them, add that to the other 11, well someone has to be the 13th F. Of that group mentioned above, Letteri may just be the best player for that role in the early going. It's not the player I'd want, but fact is out of that group, Letteri played the most games in the NHL last year and that matters.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Samsonov was slick. I was at Ristuccia for his first day as a rookie at Bruins camp (along with Joe Thornton). I saw Samsonov literally hop sideways in mid-stride while carrying the puck. He never lost control of the puck and kept moving. I had never seen a move like that.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I have an idea, can we wait until we see him play maybe 10-20 games in the NHL before we can fully evaluate him.

Nobody knows how he will turn out, I for one have high hopes for this kid.

Reactions: BronxBruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad